Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Backing up DVDs: Too many gigabytes?

Backing up DVDs: Too many gigabytes?

funkifized

The problem I'm having in backing up my own DVDs, the ones that I paid
for, and should be able to make copies for my own use, is not the copy
protection, but I'm finding that there's too much information on the
disc. I use Roxio's disc copier, but when I get to the "please insert a
blank DVD+R" stage, it's looking for a 4.8 GB disc or more! Can DVD+R's
be bought with more than 4.4 GB?

jayembee

"funkifized" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I use Roxio's disc copier, but when I get to the "please insert a
> blank DVD+R" stage, it's looking for a 4.8 GB disc or more! Can
> DVD+R's be bought with more than 4.4 GB?

Yes, if you want to spend the extra money to get 8.5Gb DL (Dual
Layer) DVDs.

-- jayembee

Franke Carlino

On 4 Jan 2007 14:54:53 -0800, "funkifized" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem I'm having in backing up my own DVDs, the ones that I paid
>for, and should be able to make copies for my own use, is not the copy
>protection, but I'm finding that there's too much information on the
>disc. I use Roxio's disc copier, but when I get to the "please insert a
>blank DVD+R" stage, it's looking for a 4.8 GB disc or more! Can DVD+R's
>be bought with more than 4.4 GB?

Try using DVD Shrink. It works in concert with NERO
and it will shrink the info to fit your DVD's.
Hope this helps...
Peace,
Franke
LET'S GO METS!!!

funkifized

Franke Carlino wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2007 14:54:53 -0800, "funkifized" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The problem I'm having in backing up my own DVDs, the ones that I paid
> >for, and should be able to make copies for my own use, is not the copy
> >protection, but I'm finding that there's too much information on the
> >disc. I use Roxio's disc copier, but when I get to the "please insert a
> >blank DVD+R" stage, it's looking for a 4.8 GB disc or more! Can DVD+R's
> >be bought with more than 4.4 GB?

> Try using DVD Shrink. It works in concert with NERO
> and it will shrink the info to fit your DVD's.
> Hope this helps...
> __________________________________________________ ____
> Peace,
> Franke
> LET'S GO METS!!!

I don't use NERO, though. Will it work with Roxio?

Little Red Hen

"funkifized" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Franke Carlino wrote:
>> On 4 Jan 2007 14:54:53 -0800, "funkifized" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >The problem I'm having in backing up my own DVDs, the ones that I paid
>> >for, and should be able to make copies for my own use, is not the copy
>> >protection, but I'm finding that there's too much information on the
>> >disc. I use Roxio's disc copier, but when I get to the "please insert a
>> >blank DVD+R" stage, it's looking for a 4.8 GB disc or more! Can DVD+R's
>> >be bought with more than 4.4 GB?

>> Try using DVD Shrink. It works in concert with NERO
>> and it will shrink the info to fit your DVD's.
>> Hope this helps...
>> __________________________________________________ ____
>> Peace,
>> Franke
>> LET'S GO METS!!!

> I don't use NERO, though. Will it work with Roxio?

DVDShrink is a standalone program that simply shrinks the file size of the
original files. You can either shrink the whole disk or say just select the
movie (less shrinking = better picture quality) You can then burn the
resulting VIDEO_TS folder that contains all the files using ANY burning
program like NeroExpress or Roxio or etc etc.

You may have to use a decrypter first as some DVD's protection beyond
DVDShrink. Look up DVDFABDecrypter (free) as complete solution.