Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > VHS to DVD stand-alone boxes - how to record 6 hr VHS tapes ?

Reply
Thread Tools

VHS to DVD stand-alone boxes - how to record 6 hr VHS tapes ?

 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2007
On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have a
button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when I
have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would it
record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at
least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any 6
hr DVD media out there yet ?

I also have a lot of camcorder ( VHS-C ) video. Rather than buying full
size 4 hr DVDs , could I buy physically smaller DVD's for less money ?
( do they exist ?) The point in asking is this is a LOT of family video
( boxes full) that are maybe 20-30 minutes long and I'm wondering if
cheaper /easier to store the smaller dvd's since even one the "full
sized 4 hr DVD'd" it's still only gonna store only one vhs tape when I
hit the VCR =>DVD "record button". So it'll record 20 minutes then
"waste" the rest of the DVD.

Bobb

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The Wizard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2007

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have a
> button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when I
> have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would it
> record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at least
> the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any 6 hr DVD
> media out there yet ?


Well firstly, I think you're forgetting most DVD Recorders have a LP/XP etc
mode Usually 1 hour,2 hour,4 hour and 6 hour.
To be honest the 6 hour mode is pretty poor, I usually use the 4 hour mode
on mine (2 hour for a normal movie)

The quality goes down as you select the longer mode, 1,2 and 4 hour are o-k
but the 6 hour is definately noticably poor!

> I also have a lot of camcorder ( VHS-C ) video. Rather than buying full
> size 4 hr DVDs , could I buy physically smaller DVD's for less money ? (
> do they exist ?) The point in asking is this is a LOT of family video (
> boxes full) that are maybe 20-30 minutes long and I'm wondering if cheaper
> /easier to store the smaller dvd's since even one the "full sized 4 hr
> DVD'd" it's still only gonna store only one vhs tape when I hit the VCR
> =>DVD "record button". So it'll record 20 minutes then "waste" the rest of
> the DVD.


No need to to, The Standalone DVD recorders won't play in a normal player
until you have finalised them, So you can make several short recordings on
one disc
Depending on the recorder, It makes a simple menu for each recording and on
most can be renamed to wahtever you like,Some have a simple thumbnail type
menu,The more expensive ones have animated pics of the movie you've
recorded.
I'd just record as normal from tape to DVD, press stop,Let it write to the
disc then record again on the same disc only finalising when you've filled
the disc, Assuming you have 8 hours to record, I'd split it to 2 x 4 hours
or for better quality 4 x 2 hours.
Just imagine the standalone recorders as a disc based VHS system with LP
mode just lowering the quality as it does with tape.

T.W.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2007
"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in news:N7WdndEbH_
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have a
> button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when I
> have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would it
> record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at
> least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any 6
> hr DVD media out there yet ?

snip


The quality of a 6hr VHS recording is quite poor. The quality of a 6hr DVD
is quite poor. Recording a 6hr VHS in 6hr DVD mode will give you a picture
I don't think you are going to like. In order to maintain anything like the
original VHS quality you are going to have to use the 1 or 2 hour DVD
recording mode.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pinto Alegre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2007
which is still poor

"Stan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aPcmh.621698$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in news:N7WdndEbH_
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have a
>> button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when I
>> have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would it
>> record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at
>> least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any 6
>> hr DVD media out there yet ?

> snip
>
>
> The quality of a 6hr VHS recording is quite poor. The quality of a 6hr DVD
> is quite poor. Recording a 6hr VHS in 6hr DVD mode will give you a picture
> I don't think you are going to like. In order to maintain anything like
> the
> original VHS quality you are going to have to use the 1 or 2 hour DVD
> recording mode.
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2007

"Stan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aPcmh.621698$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in news:N7WdndEbH_
> (E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have a
>> button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when I
>> have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would it
>> record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at
>> least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any 6
>> hr DVD media out there yet ?

> snip
>
>
> The quality of a 6hr VHS recording is quite poor. The quality of a 6hr DVD
> is quite poor. Recording a 6hr VHS in 6hr DVD mode will give you a picture
> I don't think you are going to like. In order to maintain anything like
> the
> original VHS quality you are going to have to use the 1 or 2 hour DVD
> recording mode.


All the stand-alone DVD recorders I've run across have a 6 hour mode, so try
it. You don't have anything to lose.

Consider this: A 2 hours videotape can be successfully copied onto a DVD in
the 2 hour mode, so why shouldn't a 6 hour tape copy just as well to a 6
hour DVD? (Yes, I know the logic is faulty, but it's certainly worth a
try.)

Norm Strong


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack Yazel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007
On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:40:54 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:

>On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have a
>button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when I
>have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would it
>record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at
>least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any 6
>hr DVD media out there yet ?
>
>I also have a lot of camcorder ( VHS-C ) video. Rather than buying full
>size 4 hr DVDs , could I buy physically smaller DVD's for less money ?
>( do they exist ?) The point in asking is this is a LOT of family video
>( boxes full) that are maybe 20-30 minutes long and I'm wondering if
>cheaper /easier to store the smaller dvd's since even one the "full
>sized 4 hr DVD'd" it's still only gonna store only one vhs tape when I
>hit the VCR =>DVD "record button". So it'll record 20 minutes then
>"waste" the rest of the DVD.
>
>Bobb

=================================

I record a lot of 6-hour VHS and 6-hour DVD (-R and -RW).

The quality of both depends on the viewer. I can't see any difference between
the TV, VHS and DVD.

Test a DVD recorder and decide for yourself.

Jack

--
 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007

"The Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jCamh.37527$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have
>> a button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do
>> when I have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail"
>> or would it record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD
>> so that at least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last
>> 2 hrs ? Any 6 hr DVD media out there yet ?

>
> Well firstly, I think you're forgetting most DVD Recorders have a
> LP/XP etc mode Usually 1 hour,2 hour,4 hour and 6 hour.
> To be honest the 6 hour mode is pretty poor, I usually use the 4 hour
> mode on mine (2 hour for a normal movie)
>
> The quality goes down as you select the longer mode, 1,2 and 4 hour
> are o-k but the 6 hour is definately noticably poor!
>
>> I also have a lot of camcorder ( VHS-C ) video. Rather than buying
>> full size 4 hr DVDs , could I buy physically smaller DVD's for less
>> money ? ( do they exist ?) The point in asking is this is a LOT of
>> family video ( boxes full) that are maybe 20-30 minutes long and I'm
>> wondering if cheaper /easier to store the smaller dvd's since even
>> one the "full sized 4 hr DVD'd" it's still only gonna store only one
>> vhs tape when I hit the VCR =>DVD "record button". So it'll record 20
>> minutes then "waste" the rest of the DVD.

>
> No need to to, The Standalone DVD recorders won't play in a normal
> player until you have finalised them, So you can make several short
> recordings on one disc
> Depending on the recorder, It makes a simple menu for each recording
> and on most can be renamed to wahtever you like,Some have a simple
> thumbnail type menu,The more expensive ones have animated pics of the
> movie you've recorded.
> I'd just record as normal from tape to DVD, press stop,Let it write to
> the disc then record again on the same disc only finalising when
> you've filled the disc, Assuming you have 8 hours to record, I'd split
> it to 2 x 4 hours or for better quality 4 x 2 hours.
> Just imagine the standalone recorders as a disc based VHS system with
> LP mode just lowering the quality as it does with tape.
>
> T.W.
>

I guess I misunderstood ( I don't yet have a DVR) The ones that I've
seen ( like panasonics for instance) have a rocker-switch that is
labelled VHS- DVD or DVD- VHS and I was told ( by a few sales reps at
different stores) that there's nothing to do - hit the button and it
copies the tape. Specifically I was told that I could not pause - change
tapes - continue - but it seems like that is incorrect ?? Or maybe it
has simply changed in the past 6 months since I looked. As for setting
the speed on the DVR , again I thought the only variable here was 4/8gb
DVD media. Wrong also ?? I do "get it" as far as more hrs = lousy
quality , but I thought since the only option that I had was to hit the
"copy" button. So in my example earlier, I can FF the tape to 3.5 hrs
( the start of home movies for instance) THEN hit the VHS - DVR button
and it will start from there ?? That makes sense but according to the
sales reps at Best Buy, Circuit City etc I didn't think it was an
option. I thought It rewound the tape and starting playing at the BOT -
or I just misunderstood all of them.
OK - sounds like I've got some homework to do.

Any advice on brands to choose. Last I saw there was a lot of Panasonic
ER models -15,25,35,etc - OK ? or Samsung or any other recommendations ?
I'm looking to spend ~$200-$250
I'll do some more homework/shopping and report back . Thanks very much.




 
Reply With Quote
 
BR549
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007
"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I guess I misunderstood ( I don't yet have a DVR) The ones that I've seen
> ( like panasonics for instance) have a rocker-switch that is labelled VHS-
> DVD or DVD- VHS and I was told ( by a few sales reps at different stores)
> that there's nothing to do - hit the button and it copies the tape.
> Specifically I was told that I could not pause - change tapes - continue -
> but it seems like that is incorrect ?? Or maybe it has simply changed in
> the past 6 months since I looked. As for setting the speed on the DVR ,
> again I thought the only variable here was 4/8gb DVD media. Wrong also ??
> I do "get it" as far as more hrs = lousy quality , but I thought since the
> only option that I had was to hit the "copy" button. So in my example
> earlier, I can FF the tape to 3.5 hrs ( the start of home movies for
> instance) THEN hit the VHS - DVR button and it will start from there ??
> That makes sense but according to the sales reps at Best Buy, Circuit City
> etc I didn't think it was an option. I thought It rewound the tape and
> starting playing at the BOT - or I just misunderstood all of them.
> OK - sounds like I've got some homework to do.
>
> Any advice on brands to choose. Last I saw there was a lot of Panasonic ER
> models -15,25,35,etc - OK ? or Samsung or any other recommendations ? I'm
> looking to spend ~$200-$250
> I'll do some more homework/shopping and report back . Thanks very much.


Yes you can FF to anyplace on the tape and the hit the record button on the
DVD recorder. I have 2 DVD recorders, an older Panasonic E85 with 120 gb
hard drive and a newer Zenith DVD/VHS recorder combo. I love them both.
The hard drive on the Panasonic is great because you can record first to the
hard drive and then to a DVD, pick and choose what goes where. We never
watch live TV anymore and record any shows that we like to see to the hard
drive and then just pick from the menu.
I would have to agree with Jack about the 6 hour mode, I've used it on my
Zenith to record TV shows to DVD+RW and can't tell the difference between it
and the better quality modes. Of course if I was archiving some home videos
I would definitely use a higher quality setting.
Good luck on you quest.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Buchetamo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
> "Stan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aPcmh.621698$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in news:N7WdndEbH_
>> (E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have a
>>> button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when I
>>> have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would it
>>> record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at
>>> least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any 6
>>> hr DVD media out there yet ?

>> snip
>>
>>
>> The quality of a 6hr VHS recording is quite poor. The quality of a 6hr
>> DVD
>> is quite poor. Recording a 6hr VHS in 6hr DVD mode will give you a
>> picture
>> I don't think you are going to like. In order to maintain anything like
>> the
>> original VHS quality you are going to have to use the 1 or 2 hour DVD
>> recording mode.

>
> All the stand-alone DVD recorders I've run across have a 6 hour mode, so
> try it. You don't have anything to lose.
>
> Consider this: A 2 hours videotape can be successfully copied onto a DVD
> in the 2 hour mode, so why shouldn't a 6 hour tape copy just as well to a
> 6 hour DVD? (Yes, I know the logic is faulty, but it's certainly worth a
> try.)
>
> Norm Strong

I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder & it has three options for recording, I gather
you could fit a 6 hrs VHS in the XL option... but quality wise I think I'd
prefer not to do it. I'm in the process of recording in DVD format a couple
hundred VHS but in some cases the results have not been the best as far as
picture quality. But then again, it depends entirely on the individual. I
just read a posting here from someone saying he can't notice the difference
between VHS & DVD picture quality!! I totally disagree but everyone is
entitled to his opinion!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007

"Jack Yazel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 10:40:54 -0500, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123>
> wrote:
>
>>On these stand-alone ( non-PC ) recorders ... The ones I've seen have
>>a
>>button that you press and it copies the VHS to DVD. What do I do when
>>I
>>have a 6 hr VHS and it won't fit onto DVD ? would it "fail" or would
>>it
>>record only 4 hrs ( or whatever fits) then close the DVD so that at
>>least the first 4 hrs is usable ? How to capture that last 2 hrs ? Any
>>6
>>hr DVD media out there yet ?
>>
>>I also have a lot of camcorder ( VHS-C ) video. Rather than buying
>>full
>>size 4 hr DVDs , could I buy physically smaller DVD's for less money ?
>>( do they exist ?) The point in asking is this is a LOT of family
>>video
>>( boxes full) that are maybe 20-30 minutes long and I'm wondering if
>>cheaper /easier to store the smaller dvd's since even one the "full
>>sized 4 hr DVD'd" it's still only gonna store only one vhs tape when I
>>hit the VCR =>DVD "record button". So it'll record 20 minutes then
>>"waste" the rest of the DVD.
>>
>>Bobb

> =================================
>
> I record a lot of 6-hour VHS and 6-hour DVD (-R and -RW).
>
> The quality of both depends on the viewer. I can't see any difference
> between
> the TV, VHS and DVD.
>
> Test a DVD recorder and decide for yourself.
>
> Jack


I will thanks. I was asking first though, since we have a library of
300+ homemade VHS tapes ( a lot are 4-6 hrs each) and if only 2hrs per
DVD - aside from the time/effort - that's 900+ blank DVD's to buy ! So
that would be a factor also into the decision to do them all too - so
maybe only old footage of the kids ??
One other thing ... DVD +R and -R - any recommendations/preferences or
is that still a box of worms we'd rather not get into here ?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
What do you do with your VHS tapes after you record them to DVD? jeffd1975@gmail.com DVD Video 14 03-19-2007 08:52 PM
Copying standard VHS tapes to DVD via computer =?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWE=?= Microsoft Certification 4 04-02-2006 02:19 PM
Pioneer DVR-810H - convert VHS tapes to DVD? Dooner DVD Video 1 12-12-2003 02:42 PM
Newbie question regarding multiple DVD's of VHS tapes nan DVD Video 4 09-24-2003 11:58 PM



Advertisments