Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HDDVD/Bluray: stillborn or coma

HDDVD/Bluray: stillborn or coma

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
MassiveProng <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:07:56 -0800, "Richard C."
><(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>>"MassiveProng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> No. One DOWNLOADS posts, then reads, dumbass (at least if you have
>>> half a brain). ANY of you idiots that actually tried to read as it
>>> downloaded were even more stupid that the top postingf twits with
>>> their top posted twit mentalities.

>>===============================
>>You do not know how a newsreader works......................

> Yes, I most certainly do. I RAN a newsserver back in 96.

> I HAD paying customers (called subscribers).

> I bulk DL'd all the groups THEY subscribed to several times a day.

Hm - back in the mid-80s we did message exchange with ihave/sendme
protocols - over dialup uucp.

By 1995 when 'net connnectivity was readily available for running
news servers, we did the same thing but with nntp protocols and
we'd exchange articles - if anyone posted any locally they'd be
sent upwards - several times PER HOUR.

> THEY bulk DL'd them in turn and THEN they read their news OFFLINE
>(exactly where the term came from), made their replies OFFLINE, and
>THEN they posted their replies in bulk.

Hm. I've seen many who read the headers and then just download and
read in real time.

> THAT is how anyone with any brains did it back then, so shut the
>**** up RichTARD, you know abso****inglutely nothing about it or me.

We didn't. It didn't make much sense to do anything other than in
real-time with a DS3 for transport.

But with anything in the 'net world [ and I've always run Unix
systems ] there are as many ways to do something as there
are admins to set them up.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gene E. Bloch <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:
>On 1/29/2007, Bill Vermillion posted this:
>
><Paper Reduction Activity>
>
>> Pushing Usenet news around - primarily by UUCP over phones - except
>> for two large local engineering groups who had a 56 line - most of
>> us in the Orlando area moved to Telebit modems that gave us
>> 18Kbit/sec transfer rates [later about 22Kb] long before the
>> first 9600 bps modem was available for sale. Since we all had
>> registered UUCP domain names we got them at 1/2 price at $650 each.
>>
>> The next year I saw my first 9600 BPS modem. From BT [British
>> Telecom] . $5000 US.
>>
>> Bill

>Ouch.
>
>Just yesterday, reading the Sunday paper ads, I noticed a 300GB hard
>drive for $80, so in a fit of reminiscence I compared its $/MB to my
>first hard drive: 10 MB, $800.

If we're playing un-upsmanship - my first HD was an 8MB eight-inch
that I got for $1500 as part of an as-is where-is closeout
on Radio Shack Model 16's. It came with Xenix and the kernel
on the 1.3.? was only about 78K long. And I decided to get the
full development system - that was $750. But within 6 months it
had all paid for itself, and I inadvertantly wound up being a
self-employed SA/HW/SW person - all by accident.

>I came up with a factor 3,000,000, but then I checked my work,
>and realized it was *only* 300,000 (that's the problem with
>computing in my head). This much change in maybe 22 or 24 years.

Just fire up 'bc' and be sure of your math. Don't forget to set
the scale

>The performance is improved some too, but not that much

What do you mean NOT THAT MUCH.

I just moved to another terminal session and logged into a system
I'm just building up to replace an aging server. With nothing
extraordinary with a 150Mhz SATA 150GB drive, I just measured
82MB/sec writing and 80MB reading.

My first ESDI drive [ I misjudged how popular SCSI would become]
had a 1.5Mhz interface [most cards were 1MHz] so that meant
on a good day going down hill with the wind at my back I could
get a bit over 1MB transfer rate on a UFS file system. The old
S51 file system from AT&T - which I had on the same drive - was at
least 5 times slower because of the inefficieny of that FS - with
allocating 2 512 byte sectors at a time instead of 8K allocations.

>Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
>letters617blochg3251
>(replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

I do not miss the old days - it's too much fun now!

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Bill Vermillion

In article <45b54134$0$9628$(E-Mail Removed)>,
AnthonyR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"MassiveProng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:17:47 -0500, "AnthonyR" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Gave us:
>>
>>>So top posting is counter intuitive to how the
>>>original system was designed to be used and read.

>> No... It is NOT.
>>
>> OE is NOT "the original system", and you do NOT know (obviously) how
>> the original system was designed to be used and read.
>>

>That's what I said, top posting is counter intuitive in outlook
>express(which is what I am using).
>And I agree it is NOT what newsreaders where designed for.
>
>By the way, can you recommend a real newsreader I can try on Linux, I see
>there are a quite a few available.
>I'll give it a go.

>AnthonyR.

There are many - if you run in text mode I can recommend trn - the
threaded version of rn. And there is nn. There is even a
newsreader in emacs, but that is not for the faint of heart as the
learning curve on emacs is a bit steep.

pine is pretty much deprecated. There are plenty of newsreaders
for X based systems too. There is also tin, slrn and others.

Probalby you should look at the READMEs for them, and make your
choice on what looks best, try it out, and if you don't like move
on to another one. Since they are all open-source the only thing
you lose is time.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Gene E. Bloch

On 1/29/2007, Bill Vermillion posted this:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gene E. Bloch <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:
>> On 1/29/2007, Bill Vermillion posted this:
>>
>> <Paper Reduction Activity>
>>
>>> Pushing Usenet news around - primarily by UUCP over phones - except
>>> for two large local engineering groups who had a 56 line - most of
>>> us in the Orlando area moved to Telebit modems that gave us
>>> 18Kbit/sec transfer rates [later about 22Kb] long before the
>>> first 9600 bps modem was available for sale. Since we all had
>>> registered UUCP domain names we got them at 1/2 price at $650 each.
>>>
>>> The next year I saw my first 9600 BPS modem. From BT [British
>>> Telecom] . $5000 US.
>>>
>>> Bill

>> Ouch.
>>
>> Just yesterday, reading the Sunday paper ads, I noticed a 300GB hard
>> drive for $80, so in a fit of reminiscence I compared its $/MB to my
>> first hard drive: 10 MB, $800.

> If we're playing un-upsmanship - my first HD was an 8MB eight-inch
> that I got for $1500 as part of an as-is where-is closeout
> on Radio Shack Model 16's. It came with Xenix and the kernel
> on the 1.3.? was only about 78K long. And I decided to get the
> full development system - that was $750. But within 6 months it
> had all paid for itself, and I inadvertantly wound up being a
> self-employed SA/HW/SW person - all by accident.
>
>> I came up with a factor 3,000,000, but then I checked my work,
>> and realized it was *only* 300,000 (that's the problem with
>> computing in my head). This much change in maybe 22 or 24 years.

> Just fire up 'bc' and be sure of your math. Don't forget to set
> the scale
>
>> The performance is improved some too, but not that much

> What do you mean NOT THAT MUCH.
>
> I just moved to another terminal session and logged into a system
> I'm just building up to replace an aging server. With nothing
> extraordinary with a 150Mhz SATA 150GB drive, I just measured
> 82MB/sec writing and 80MB reading.
>
> My first ESDI drive [ I misjudged how popular SCSI would become]
> had a 1.5Mhz interface [most cards were 1MHz] so that meant
> on a good day going down hill with the wind at my back I could
> get a bit over 1MB transfer rate on a UFS file system. The old
> S51 file system from AT&T - which I had on the same drive - was at
> least 5 times slower because of the inefficieny of that FS - with
> allocating 2 512 byte sectors at a time instead of 8K allocations.
>

>> Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
>> letters617blochg3251
>> (replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

> I do not miss the old days - it's too much fun now!
>
> Bill

But without the old days, how could we reminisce? Not to mention play
"un-upsmanship"

And we could tell our grandchildren that we walked about three miles to
school in the snow, and it was uphill both ways, and we didn't even
have an iPod to listen to on the way, and there was no TV, and ...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Bill Vermillion

In article <envqb9$763$01$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com>,
Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
>the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

Well their Z80 add-in card for Apple II's to run CP/M wasn't that
bad, and their mouse was OK. Can't think of anything else.

BIll

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gene E. Bloch <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:
>On 1/29/2007, Bill Vermillion posted this:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Gene E. Bloch <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote:
>>> On 1/29/2007, Bill Vermillion posted this:
>>>
>>> <Paper Reduction Activity>

>>> Ouch.
>>>
>>> Just yesterday, reading the Sunday paper ads, I noticed a 300GB hard
>>> drive for $80, so in a fit of reminiscence I compared its $/MB to my
>>> first hard drive: 10 MB, $800.

>> If we're playing un-upsmanship - my first HD was an 8MB eight-inch
>> that I got for $1500 as part of an as-is where-is closeout
>> on Radio Shack Model 16's. It came with Xenix and the kernel
>> on the 1.3.? was only about 78K long. And I decided to get the
>> full development system - that was $750. But within 6 months it
>> had all paid for itself, and I inadvertantly wound up being a
>> self-employed SA/HW/SW person - all by accident.
>>
>>> I came up with a factor 3,000,000, but then I checked my work,
>>> and realized it was *only* 300,000 (that's the problem with
>>> computing in my head). This much change in maybe 22 or 24 years.

>> Just fire up 'bc' and be sure of your math. Don't forget to set
>> the scale
>>
>>> The performance is improved some too, but not that much

>> What do you mean NOT THAT MUCH.
>>
>> I just moved to another terminal session and logged into a system
>> I'm just building up to replace an aging server. With nothing
>> extraordinary with a 150Mhz SATA 150GB drive, I just measured
>> 82MB/sec writing and 80MB reading.
>>
>> My first ESDI drive [ I misjudged how popular SCSI would become]
>> had a 1.5Mhz interface [most cards were 1MHz] so that meant
>> on a good day going down hill with the wind at my back I could
>> get a bit over 1MB transfer rate on a UFS file system. The old
>> S51 file system from AT&T - which I had on the same drive - was at
>> least 5 times slower because of the inefficieny of that FS - with
>> allocating 2 512 byte sectors at a time instead of 8K allocations.
>>

>>> Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
>>> letters617blochg3251
>>> (replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

>> I do not miss the old days - it's too much fun now!
>>
>> Bill

>But without the old days, how could we reminisce? Not to mention play
>"un-upsmanship"

>And we could tell our grandchildren that we walked about three
>miles to school in the snow, and it was uphill both ways, and we
>didn't even have an iPod to listen to on the way, and there was
>no TV, and ...

My father used to do that - not uphill - but on the railroad tracks
as the trains cleared the snow.

When I told my son I had to walk to school in the snow he believed
me.

And then when on vacation he saw I lived only 3 blocks away - and
these were SHORT blocks. I must have had to walk amost
a 1/3 of a mile

Now at the University one night it got COLD. We didn't have
great weather forcasting then so we didn't know it would get that
cold. After playing cards until the student union closed we walked
3 blocks to a 24x7 restaurant. Gawd was it cold.

When we got there we found out just how cold it was - and as the
local police had come in for coffee we asked them if they would
drive us the 6 blocks to the dorm.

They said yes. And the next day I found I had one ear that had
gotten frostbitten in the 3 block walk to the restaurant.

36 degrees below zero. The high the next day was 19 below - but
we really bundled up walking to class.

Give me 3 miles in snow at 25 degrees any day compared to that.

Bill

>--
>Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
>letters617blochg3251
>(replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom")

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

MassiveProng

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:55:01 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) Gave
us:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Joshua Zyber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> And just this morning I got the latest CED digest

>>The latest CED digest?

>Yup! Try http://www.cedmagic.com
>
>It has links/info on parts and how to fix old players, and people
>selling disks for those who collect old electronics and simllar
>antiquities.
>
>Tom has been running this list since the days when you could still
>buy new CED players. [I have a couple I need to replace the belts
>on, also need to put a new power supply in an Pioneer 8000 LD
>player, and swap out a drive in a DVD recorder].
>
>You have to watch out when I have BOTH a screwdriver and soldering
>iron
>
>Bill

Somehow, I see the cowardly lion saying "Ain't it the truth?".

MassiveProng

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:05:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) Gave
us:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>MassiveProng <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:10:45 -0500, "Joshua Zyber"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>>
>>>"Bill Vermillion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>The latest CED digest?

>> Read what his take on LD and CAV is. He is out in left field.

>In what way. CAV - constant angular velocity. The disk rotates
>at one speed. CLV - constant linear velocity - the disk changes
>speeds to keep the data stream under the pickup constant.
>
>With the first CLV releases, such as Blazing Saddles, there was
>in many players a noticeable herringbone pattern, so a
>method call CAA - constant angular accelleration was developed -
>though the name CLV was retained.
>
>CAA is best described as banded CAV - where there are bands
>that all rotate as the same speed, channging speeds as the pickup
>moves from the center to the outside. This prevented the
>herringbone pattern that was caused by each adjacent track field
>being slightly offset from the previous one.
>
>Where am I in left field on that?

CLV is a single "worm" type track from center to edge. The pit
pitch is constant, so as the laser head progresses toward the edge of
the disc, the rotational speed slows to keep the same pit rate (bit
rate) passing under the laser head.

CAV is comprised of distinct numbered tracks that tally 54000
exactly, which is 30 minutes at 30 fps, for each full disc side.
It is not recorded in worm fashion, there are separate cylindrical
tracks for each frame of film. The pit pitch the laser records at
varied, and the disc rotational speed remains constant. This means
that "pits" at the outer edges of the disc are stretched, as are the
"lands", to make the resulting bit rate (pit rate) pass the laser head
as at the hub of the disc. The adjacent track on an optical disc does
not affect the track being read.

MassiveProng

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:35:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) Gave
us:

> Which was several months after the first LD players went
>on sale in Atlanta - the only place they were available.

Check the date on the release of the Dragon's Lair upright video
game.

http://www.djgallagher.com/games/cla...ir/history.php

It contained an "addressable" version of the Magnavox player.

Computer interface was serial port, and the player got a decision
based gaming experience via fast track addressing on a CAV DISC.

The year was 1983.

MassiveProng

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:35:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Bill Vermillion) Gave
us:

>Yup. And I have one of the players that were used in the games,
>and I have Dragon's Lair and Space Ace in the original distribution
>format - the disks that had an aluminum back side not plastic.

The aluminum back platter was common Mfg procedure for single sided
CAV discs.