Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Playing HD-DVD discs on Windows XP?

Playing HD-DVD discs on Windows XP?

aloof

Hi all, if this is an FAQ I apologize but I'm struggling to find
anything on what I figured would be easy to find answers to. A couple
of days ago I purchased a new computer that has an HD-DVD drive (link:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9apvo). It's a Toshiba SD-H802A.

The computer came with Windows Media Center as the OS but I need to use
Windows XP Pro on this machine (long and boring story). My question is
how does one watch HD-DVD movies on an XP machine? Currently, I'm
trying to watch The Bourne Supremacy (disc came with the computer) but
when I put it in the drive, Windows says it can't read the
disc--something along the lines of it possibly being corrupt, etc. Is
it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
for it?

Thanks in advance all.

Hertz_Donut

"aloof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all, if this is an FAQ I apologize but I'm struggling to find
> anything on what I figured would be easy to find answers to. A couple
> of days ago I purchased a new computer that has an HD-DVD drive (link:
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9apvo). It's a Toshiba SD-H802A.
>
> The computer came with Windows Media Center as the OS but I need to use
> Windows XP Pro on this machine (long and boring story). My question is
> how does one watch HD-DVD movies on an XP machine? Currently, I'm
> trying to watch The Bourne Supremacy (disc came with the computer) but
> when I put it in the drive, Windows says it can't read the
> disc--something along the lines of it possibly being corrupt, etc. Is
> it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
> for it?
>
> Thanks in advance all.

1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.

2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

Honu

aloof

Thanks Honu.

> 2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
> read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

I actually have Nero 7 Enhanced. When I use Nero Showtime and point it
to my HDDVD drive with the disc in it I get an error: "The drive is not
ready."

This makes me think it's got something to do with the way the drive is
configured. Unfortunately, I can't find a driver for it on the Toshiba
site so I'm not sure how else to tweak it in anyway that might end up
yielding something that works. It did work prior to formatting and
going from MCE to XP Pro, so I know it works at one point and that the
movie's disc works but no dice since then.

Anyone else have any ideas or experiences? Thanks!

JoeBloe

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>"aloof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Hi all, if this is an FAQ I apologize but I'm struggling to find
>> anything on what I figured would be easy to find answers to. A couple
>> of days ago I purchased a new computer that has an HD-DVD drive (link:
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9apvo). It's a Toshiba SD-H802A.
>>
>> The computer came with Windows Media Center as the OS but I need to use
>> Windows XP Pro on this machine (long and boring story). My question is
>> how does one watch HD-DVD movies on an XP machine? Currently, I'm
>> trying to watch The Bourne Supremacy (disc came with the computer) but
>> when I put it in the drive, Windows says it can't read the
>> disc--something along the lines of it possibly being corrupt, etc. Is
>> it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
>> for it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance all.
>>

>1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.
>
>2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
>read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
to play should already be on the computer as well.

Derek Janssen

JoeBloe wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
>>1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.
>>
>>2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
>>read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

> If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
> to play should already be on the computer as well.

No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
DVD players.

Derek Janssen (so, like...there are computer companies that DON'T give
you everything in the box?)

JoeBloe

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>JoeBloe wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>>
>>>1. Windows Media Center is based directly on Window XP Professional.
>>>
>>>2. You will need a program such as the latest version of Nero which will
>>>read HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

>> If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
>> to play should already be on the computer as well.

>No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
>DVD players.

It has nothing to do with the OS at all.

It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
an HD DVD reader.

The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.

It is really that simple.

lnh

Go to AVS Forums. They have a long tutorial on burning HD DVDs and in
the process of doing that they talk about getting them to play on PCs.
It's not easy...

littlejoeflub@yahoo.com

JoeBloe wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:
>
> >JoeBloe wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:08:14 -1000, "Hertz_Donut"
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

> >> If the disc CAME with the computer that has the HD reader, the app
> >> to play should already be on the computer as well.

> >No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
> >DVD players.

> It has nothing to do with the OS at all.
>
> It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
> an HD DVD reader.
>
> The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
> made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.
>
> It is really that simple.

Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive. I suggest you
dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and do a
reinstall.

littlejoeflub@yahoo.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> JoeBloe wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:42:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

> > >No, you're thinking of Apple. Windows makes you go look for your own
> > >DVD players.

> > It has nothing to do with the OS at all.
> >
> > It is a pre-package, pre-assembled PC. It CAME with the movie, and
> > an HD DVD reader.
> >
> > The company, or PC shop or whatever that pre-packaged it should have
> > made it capable of actually delivering what it promised.
> >
> > It is really that simple.

> Actually the company, or PC shop or whatever DID make it capable of
> actually delivering what it promised until "you" formatted it and
> replaced the properly configured Windows Media Center (successor to
> WinXP Pro) for an older version of the Operating System, which
> obviously lacks the capability to use an HD-DVD drive. I suggest you
> dig up the CD or DVD-ROM (more likely) that came with your PC and do a
> reinstall.

Sorry I meant "you" as in the original poster not you JoeBloe.

Little Red Hen

"aloof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all, if this is an FAQ I apologize but I'm struggling to find
> anything on what I figured would be easy to find answers to. A couple
> of days ago I purchased a new computer that has an HD-DVD drive (link:
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9apvo). It's a Toshiba SD-H802A.
>
> The computer came with Windows Media Center as the OS but I need to use
> Windows XP Pro on this machine (long and boring story). My question is
> how does one watch HD-DVD movies on an XP machine? Currently, I'm
> trying to watch The Bourne Supremacy (disc came with the computer) but
> when I put it in the drive, Windows says it can't read the
> disc--something along the lines of it possibly being corrupt, etc. Is
> it not possible to watch HD-DVDs on XP? Does one need a special decoder
> for it?
>
> Thanks in advance all.

The software to play HD-DVD was most likely an OEM version locked to the
original Windows Media Centre operating system. When you formatted the HD
and installed XP Pro that's most likely the problem. You will somehow have
to get the version of Nero that came with the WMC OS or find a patch and
driver.