Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Question: OT

Question: OT

E. Barry Bruyea

I have a Toshiba H.D. T.V. that has an excellent picture, but lousy
sound (Two 5 Watt Speakers) What I'm looking for is an amplifier
(just an amplifier). The T.V. has two output RCA type jacks to be
plugged into an amplifier. I have an DVD Recorder & a DVD Player,
plus a VCR. Everything I see in Future Shop or Best Buy is a great
honkin' receiver/amplifier, but I don't want all that stuff or the
size they come in, or the 4 or 5 hundred watts they output (100 or so
would suit me) Is there "just" an amplifier out there?

Neck & Red

"E. Barry Bruyea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Toshiba H.D. T.V. that has an excellent picture, but lousy
> sound (Two 5 Watt Speakers) What I'm looking for is an amplifier
> (just an amplifier). The T.V. has two output RCA type jacks to be
> plugged into an amplifier. I have an DVD Recorder & a DVD Player,
> plus a VCR. Everything I see in Future Shop or Best Buy is a great
> honkin' receiver/amplifier, but I don't want all that stuff or the
> size they come in, or the 4 or 5 hundred watts they output (100 or so
> would suit me) Is there "just" an amplifier out there?

Well..not really. You could just get a stereo amplifier but that's just a
step below a nice home theater receiver so you might as well get the
receiver and do it right. You'll need to get speakers either way. Get the
a/v receiver so you can take advantage of the digital audio from your DVD
player, as the RCA's coming out of your TV are pretty much crap for sound.

E. Barry Bruyea

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 03:31:55 GMT, "Neck & Red" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"E. Barry Bruyea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have a Toshiba H.D. T.V. that has an excellent picture, but lousy
>> sound (Two 5 Watt Speakers) What I'm looking for is an amplifier
>> (just an amplifier). The T.V. has two output RCA type jacks to be
>> plugged into an amplifier. I have an DVD Recorder & a DVD Player,
>> plus a VCR. Everything I see in Future Shop or Best Buy is a great
>> honkin' receiver/amplifier, but I don't want all that stuff or the
>> size they come in, or the 4 or 5 hundred watts they output (100 or so
>> would suit me) Is there "just" an amplifier out there?

>Well..not really. You could just get a stereo amplifier but that's just a
>step below a nice home theater receiver so you might as well get the
>receiver and do it right. You'll need to get speakers either way. Get the
>a/v receiver so you can take advantage of the digital audio from your DVD
>player, as the RCA's coming out of your TV are pretty much crap for sound.

I already have a superb stereo system with an excellent receiver and
as for the jacks coming out of the T.V., they redirect the audio
signal from either off air or DVD source to an amp; they bypass the
crappy amp in the T.V.