Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Simple region code question... simple answer??

Simple region code question... simple answer??

joseph.greer@gmail.com

I recently moved back to the US after 6 years in the UK and with me, I
brought my DVDs back with me.

My dvd player, however, is not multi-region (Sony DVP-NS325). Internet
searches for unlock procedures have been fruitless. So here's what I'd
like to do:

I want to burn copies of my Region 2 DVDs onto blank DVDs, but I want
them re-coded for Region 1.

Note: I do NOT need ANY suggestions for programs that allow me to play
these dvds on my computer. I want to play them on my DVD player.

If anyone knows of a program I can buy that will achieve this for me,
I'd be very thankful. I'd hate to drop +$50 on a package and find out
it didn't solve my region code problem, thus leaving me with multiple
copies of movies I can't watch on my DVD player.

Thanks

Anthony Marsh

> I recently moved back to the US after 6 years in the UK and with me, I
> brought my DVDs back with me.
>
> My dvd player, however, is not multi-region (Sony DVP-NS325). Internet
> searches for unlock procedures have been fruitless. So here's what I'd
> like to do:
>
> I want to burn copies of my Region 2 DVDs onto blank DVDs, but I want
> them re-coded for Region 1.
>
> Note: I do NOT need ANY suggestions for programs that allow me to play
> these dvds on my computer. I want to play them on my DVD player.
>
> If anyone knows of a program I can buy that will achieve this for me,
> I'd be very thankful. I'd hate to drop +$50 on a package and find out
> it didn't solve my region code problem, thus leaving me with multiple
> copies of movies I can't watch on my DVD player.
>
> Thanks

AnyDVD.

SoHillsGuy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently moved back to the US after 6 years in the UK and with me, I
> brought my DVDs back with me.
>
> My dvd player, however, is not multi-region (Sony DVP-NS325). Internet
> searches for unlock procedures have been fruitless. So here's what I'd
> like to do:
>
> I want to burn copies of my Region 2 DVDs onto blank DVDs, but I want
> them re-coded for Region 1.

I think your easiest solution is to merely get a multi-region player,
or at least one easily hackable to be so. Then you won't have to
bother with the hassle of burning all the discs over again. Should be
able to find many of these in the $50 range.

If you can still find one, grab a Philips 642 DVD player. (Maybe
there's a newer equivalent.) You can find the easy-step process to
make it handle R2 discs in a few easy pushes of the buttons on the
remote.

jayembee

"SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think your easiest solution is to merely get a multi-region
> player, or at least one easily hackable to be so.
>
> If you can still find one, grab a Philips 642 DVD player. (Maybe
> there's a newer equivalent.)

There is, but I can never remember the model number. Near as I can
tell, the most notable improvement is that it can play DivX files
with the ",divx" extension. I figure it's cheaper to just rename
such files to ".avi".

> You can find the easy-step process to make it handle R2 discs
> in a few easy pushes of the buttons on the remote.

And you can find that process at http://www.videohelp.com.

However, I'm unclear on exactly what the problem is. Is the O.P.'s
player one that he picked up here after moving back, or brought
back with him from the UK? If the former, OK. If the latter, he
wouldn't be able to play any converted DVDs anyway. And it wouldn't
be able to display them on an NTSC TV anyway (unless it has a
built-in converter).

-- jayembee

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
SoHillsGuy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I recently moved back to the US after 6 years in the UK and with me, I
>> brought my DVDs back with me.
>>
>> My dvd player, however, is not multi-region (Sony DVP-NS325). Internet
>> searches for unlock procedures have been fruitless. So here's what I'd
>> like to do:
>>
>> I want to burn copies of my Region 2 DVDs onto blank DVDs, but I want
>> them re-coded for Region 1.

>I think your easiest solution is to merely get a multi-region player,
>or at least one easily hackable to be so. Then you won't have to
>bother with the hassle of burning all the discs over again. Should be
>able to find many of these in the $50 range.
>
>If you can still find one, grab a Philips 642 DVD player. (Maybe
>there's a newer equivalent.)

DVP-5960. Can be made region-free with a remote hack as well.

Oldus Fartus

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently moved back to the US after 6 years in the UK and with me, I
> brought my DVDs back with me.
>
> My dvd player, however, is not multi-region (Sony DVP-NS325). Internet
> searches for unlock procedures have been fruitless. So here's what I'd
> like to do:
>
> I want to burn copies of my Region 2 DVDs onto blank DVDs, but I want
> them re-coded for Region 1.

You do not need to re-encode to region 1, just make them region free.

> Note: I do NOT need ANY suggestions for programs that allow me to play
> these dvds on my computer. I want to play them on my DVD player.
>
> If anyone knows of a program I can buy that will achieve this for me,
> I'd be very thankful. I'd hate to drop +$50 on a package and find out
> it didn't solve my region code problem, thus leaving me with multiple
> copies of movies I can't watch on my DVD player.
>
> Thanks

DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter are probably the best two programs to do
this. Google for download sites, both programs are free.

Ignore the advice re NTSC/PAL differences. Most DVD players (including
your Sony) should cope fine.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

joseph.greer@gmail.com

you are right!!! This is the best answer and I've done this and am
happy.

Problem is that none of these snot-nosed, zit-pocked faced
high-schoolers working at BestBuy even know what a multi-region dvd
player is. Heck, they probably can't even pick out Italy on a map.

But I did it and it cost me about $50!!! That's cheaper than the
software and blank disks and all the time it would have taken me to
learn the ins and outs, copy, make mistakes, re-copy, throw my pc out
the window, buy another, and finally get it all sorted out and working.

Thanks!

On Dec 22 2006, 6:11 pm, "SoHillsGuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I recently moved back to the US after 6 years in the UK and with me, I
> > brought my DVDs back with me.

> > My dvd player, however, is not multi-region (Sony DVP-NS325). Internet
> > searches for unlock procedures have been fruitless. So here's what I'd
> > like to do:

> > I want to burn copies of my Region 2 DVDs onto blank DVDs, but I want
> > them re-coded for Region 1.I think your easiest solution is to merely get a multi-region player,

> or at least one easily hackable to be so. Then you won't have to
> bother with the hassle of burning all the discs over again. Should be
> able to find many of these in the $50 range.
>
> If you can still find one, grab a Philips 642 DVD player. (Maybe
> there's a newer equivalent.) You can find the easy-step process to
> make it handle R2 discs in a few easy pushes of the buttons on the
> remote.

Kimba W. Lion

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Problem is that none of these snot-nosed, zit-pocked faced
>high-schoolers working at BestBuy even know what a multi-region dvd
>player is. Heck, they probably can't even pick out Italy on a map.

Nobody in retail in the US will discuss multi-region DVD players. The fear
is of the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) that has a clause
about "circumventing a scheme used to restrict access to copyrighted
material". Even though region coding is not a copy-protection scheme.

It's interesting that region coding violates the WIPO international
copyright treaty and has been officially nullified in Hong Kong and
Australia. But the US has the finest lawmakers money can buy...