Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Cable vs. Air Antenna Connection

Cable vs. Air Antenna Connection

Jack Gillis

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emjkl5$5ju$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rich Clark"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
>>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
>>>
>>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
>>> incoming signal?

>>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
>>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
>>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
>>
>>RichC
>>

> Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
> receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
> TV.

Whoops. I forgot to ask something. Thank you for your patience.

Does the Antenna Air connection handle Standard Definition in the same way
cable connection does?

Which connection on a Wide Screen HDTV should the cable from the wall be
hooked to in order to get the best picture in Standard Definition with 4:3
aspect ratio.

What is happening here is that I am just now learning what questions to ask
to solve an annoying problem. It is all new to me.

Thanks again.

Company Man

"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mac Cool" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Jack Gillis:
>>
>>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to
>>> signal
>>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

>> So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
>> switching cables.
>>
>> --
>> Mac Cool

> Thanks Mac. Would never have thought of that.

Should you get upgrade to digital cable, be sure to get a HD enabled
cable box and use the appropriate component or HDMI input to your tv.
ESPN in HD and Discovery HD Theater are both very worhwhile HD content
choices; but since your set has an off air digital tuner, I can
understand any reluctance you may have about spending additional funds
on your cable...but you will have to probably have to cope with the
still somewhat flaky off air digital reception.

Goro

Jack Gillis wrote:
> "GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:emjkl5$5ju$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rich Clark"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >>"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
> >>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
> >>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
> >>
> >>RichC
> >>

> > Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
> > receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
> > TV.
> >

> Thank you. But that helps answer a question about how they are to be used.
> Now, how do they differ electronically, if at all.
>
> Thanks again.

I don't know for sure, but i wonder if the ATSC tuner is connected to
the OTA input and the QAM tuner is associated with the Cable input?

-goro-