Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Cable vs. Air Antenna Connection

Cable vs. Air Antenna Connection

Jack Gillis

My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal sources.
One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
incoming signal?

Thank you very much.

Rich Clark

"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
>
> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
> incoming signal?

If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.

RichC

Mac Cool

Jack Gillis:

> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
switching cables.

--
Mac Cool

Jack Gillis

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
>>
>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
>> incoming signal?

> If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
> identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
> on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
>
> RichC

Thank you Rich. That is precisely what I wanted to know.

Jack Gillis

"Mac Cool" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Jack Gillis:
>
>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

> So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
> switching cables.
>
> --
> Mac Cool

Thanks Mac. Would never have thought of that.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
>>
>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
>> incoming signal?

>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
>
>RichC

Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable TV.

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mac Cool" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Jack Gillis:
>>
>>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
>>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.

>> So you can hook up to cable and antenna for OTA HD channels without
>> switching cables.
>>
>> --
>> Mac Cool

>Thanks Mac. Would never have thought of that.

Neither did RichC ;p

Rich Clark

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emjkl5$5ju$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rich Clark"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
>>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
>>>
>>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
>>> incoming signal?

>>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
>>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
>>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
>>
>>RichC
>>

> Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
> receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
> TV.

You're right. I completely blanked that this wasn't an NTSC TV.

Rich

Jack Gillis

"GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:emjkl5$5ju$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rich Clark"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My Samsung S3241 has two jacks on the back for connecting to signal
>>> sources. One labled Antenna Air and the Other Antenna Cable.
>>>
>>> Can someone explain how these two inputs differ in how they handle the
>>> incoming signal?

>>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
>>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the buttons
>>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
>>
>>RichC
>>

> Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
> receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog cable
> TV.

Thank you. But that helps answer a question about how they are to be used.
Now, how do they differ electronically, if at all.

Thanks again.

Jack Gillis

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "GMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:emjkl5$5ju$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rich Clark"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Jack Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>If they're both 75ohm coax connectors they should be electronically
>>>identical. The labeling is probably so that they match up with the
>>>buttons
>>>on your remote and/or the menus on the TV.
>>>
>>>RichC
>>>

>> Wrong, the Anatenna Air connection is for connecting an OTA antenna for
>> receiving HDTV or digital locals. the other is for hooking up analog
>> cable TV.

> You're right. I completely blanked that this wasn't an NTSC TV.
>
> Rich

It is supposed, at least by the specifications on the Circuit City site, to
have both standards. Does that matter?