Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Copy Protection prices

Copy Protection prices

freddy

I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy protection, many
foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask how much
it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy protection to
each DVD?

JoeBloe

On 16 Dec 2006 05:51:05 -0800, "freddy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy protection, many
>foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask how much
>it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy protection to
>each DVD?

Pennies per film. Making it less than a penny per disc. It is an
inherent part of the encoding process, and requires no additional
labor, therefore there is no additional cost incurred. The exception
is for MacroVision encoding, as it has licensing royalty fee
requisites. It is also not used much anymore as VCR use requires the
viewer to take a serious dive in quality, so it is not a big theft
concern anymore.

Bill's News

freddy wrote:
> I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy
> protection, many
> foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask
> how much
> it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy
> protection to
> each DVD?

http://www.dvdcca.org/

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
freddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy protection, many
>foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask how much
>it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy protection to
>each DVD?

I think it's part of an attitude that so many people in the US will
rip-off the DVDs. I've received several DVDs from outside
the US and none of them have the white sticker on the top with the
bar-code that seals the disk, nor do they have any other of the
supposedly tamper-resistant tapes on the other edges, nor do they
have the anti-theft piece inside the package.

IOW the US manufactaures assume that many will try to steal the
product, while that appears not to be true outside the U.S.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Bill's News

Bill Vermillion wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> freddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I notice that while all "Hollywood" DVD's have copy
>> protection, many
>> foreign and independent DVD's do not. Which leads me to ask
>> how much
>> it costs for the manufacturer/distributor to add copy
>> protection to
>> each DVD?

> I think it's part of an attitude that so many people in the US
> will
> rip-off the DVDs. I've received several DVDs from outside
> the US and none of them have the white sticker on the top with
> the
> bar-code that seals the disk, nor do they have any other of
> the
> supposedly tamper-resistant tapes on the other edges, nor do
> they
> have the anti-theft piece inside the package.
>
> IOW the US manufactaures assume that many will try to steal
> the
> product, while that appears not to be true outside the U.S.
>
> Bill

You could be right, Bill. I'm sure that the giant chain
retailers here did not opt easily for the added expense of theft
protection for all products that take leg easily. I noticed in
several markets which pile up fireplace wood outside for sale at
this time of year, that there was a "guard" watching the pile.
I've no idea what these expenses add to the per-item price at
the register - but it surely doesn't come for free.

Maybe there is an everything-for-nothing mind-set here:
insurance fraud, tax evasion, copyright infringement, petty
theft. I remember when it was otherwise - retailers simply
wrote off theft. In one or two more generations no-one will
recall the time when anti-theft devices were not the norm.

I'd hate to think that this is exclusively a U.S. retail (or
internet transfer) problem, but I've no international shopping
experience to compare with. If we are still the land of
opportunity, I hope it's because one can MAKE it here, not
merely because one can STEAL it here

And maybe it's filtered its way up to the top too - mega fraud
at the corporate and government levels. We're now a nation who
writes off billions of savings and tax dollars in theft. When
will corporate and government anti-theft devices be installed?
;-0)

But, are we really the only nation on the globe struggling with
moral issues? Or do we just have more to steal than the others?