Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Req: help with playback problems at varying speeds

Req: help with playback problems at varying speeds

TwistedPixel

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide. I've been trying to get a
home movie creation to play in my dvd players and would like some
feedback on dvd players you might have.

I've used almost every authoring program possible and burning this
disc at 8x. I've yet to get it to play without speckles, similar to
digital cable, or without freezing.

After a lot of re-tries, I inadvertently left the recording speed at
4x and it seems to play. Is this a coincidence or do different
players have problems reading discs recorded at 8x but not at 4x?

I have a Kenwood DV-503 and Toshiba SD-K860. Could it be something
with these 2 players?

Thanks for the feedback!

ByTor

says...

> I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide. I've been trying to get a
> home movie creation to play in my dvd players and would like some
> feedback on dvd players you might have.
>
> I've used almost every authoring program possible and burning this
> disc at 8x. I've yet to get it to play without speckles, similar to
> digital cable, or without freezing.
>
> After a lot of re-tries, I inadvertently left the recording speed at
> 4x and it seems to play. Is this a coincidence or do different
> players have problems reading discs recorded at 8x but not at 4x?
>
> I have a Kenwood DV-503 and Toshiba SD-K860. Could it be something
> with these 2 players?
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

As a general rule I burn all my DVD movies at 4x speed.......I have a
newer player that plays 8x burnt disks with no problem, put that in my
older player and the same happens as you described. All disks at 4x
burned work perfectly in any player, even relatives & friends when I
give them copies.

Darrel Christenson

> I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide. I've been trying to get a
> home movie creation to play in my dvd players and would like some
> feedback on dvd players you might have.
>
> I've used almost every authoring program possible and burning this
> disc at 8x. I've yet to get it to play without speckles, similar to
> digital cable, or without freezing.
>
> After a lot of re-tries, I inadvertently left the recording speed at
> 4x and it seems to play. Is this a coincidence or do different
> players have problems reading discs recorded at 8x but not at 4x?
>
> I have a Kenwood DV-503 and Toshiba SD-K860. Could it be something
> with these 2 players?
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

I have a Yamaha player I bought around 2000 or maybe 2001,
I've used blanks rated anywhere from 1x to 16 x and burned
them at various speeds up to 12x and never had a problem
with playback.

drc