Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Verification

Verification

Citizen Bob

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:31:02 -0800, "Mike Fields"
<spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

>Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
>onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
>know where to look for the various folder sources.

It is assumed that you would inform Nero of the same source structure
when you performed a verify-only. You could save the "project" which
could then be re-invoked for verification.

>On the other hand, you may not need to verify the files as
>much as scan the disk for read errors. CDSpeed, DVDInfoPro
>and others will do that for you.

CDSpeed writes its own data and then verifies it. It does not verify a
different source.

>if the data being fed to the burner was bad,

How can the data being fed to the burner be "bad"? If data is fed and
it is burned then it should verify. If it doesn't then it's not the
data that is bad.

--

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a
few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving,

Citizen Bob

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 05:11:39 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>First I copy all the data I want on the dvd into a workspace, and verify
>filesize and file count

I only burn from hard disk.

>Then I have a valid complete 'original' to compare the burned disc to.

OK, so you now burn the disk with Verify. Nero flags an error on
Verify. You clean the disk physically with a cleaner or whatever.

Now how do you do the compare without burning the disk again?

I want to do a Verify Only.

--

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:31:00 -0800, "Quanta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
>> directories".

>Correct.

That has nothing to do with my inquiry. My source files are never more
than one subdirectory deep. That's because I use Nero solely to burn
AVIs (Data Disc) which I put in a single subdirectory one level off
thr root directory.

> Bob is looking to trash Nero.

I am not looking to trash Nero. If I wanted to do that I would not be
using it.

I am looking to use Nero to Verify a previous burn on a separate run.
The only way I can get Nero to perform a Verify is to include it as
part of the burn process. I want to be able to run Verify alone
without any burn process.

I can use any other application - it doesn't have to be Nero.

> Failed.

You failed.

--

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a
few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving,
regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
--Ronald Reagan

Mike Fields

"Citizen Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:31:02 -0800, "Mike Fields"
> <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
>
>>Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
>>onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
>>know where to look for the various folder sources.

> It is assumed that you would inform Nero of the same source structure
> when you performed a verify-only. You could save the "project" which
> could then be re-invoked for verification.
>
>>On the other hand, you may not need to verify the files as
>>much as scan the disk for read errors. CDSpeed, DVDInfoPro
>>and others will do that for you.

> CDSpeed writes its own data and then verifies it. It does not verify a
> different source.
>
>>if the data being fed to the burner was bad,

> How can the data being fed to the burner be "bad"? If data is fed and
> it is burned then it should verify. If it doesn't then it's not the
> data that is bad.

First off, CDSpeed DOES include a scan disk option which is
what I was talking about where you scan for read errors that
does NOT require it to write to the disk at all. From the
CDSpeed latest release page: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
a.. Added Advanced Disc Quality test for certain BenQ drives
Following parameters are measured:
CD: E11,E21,E31,E12,E22,E32,BLER,Jitter
DVD: 1-5 PIE,PIE,PIF,POE,POF,Jitter

b.. Disc Quality test:
a.. Jitter can be reported with recent LiteOn drives
b.. Added CLV and P-CAV settings for BenQ drives (CD scanning)
c.. Added Advanced options button
c.. Replaced 'Write and Verify' option by 'Streaming' option
d.. Bitsetting: improved support for NEC drives
e.. Small improvements and bug fixes
I have used it quite often to scan a disk and see how it reads and
it works just fine from a DVD-ROM drive that is read only.

As far as data being "bad" if you have a cabling problem to the
drive, you can get read/write errors where the data getting to the
drive is corrupted (but the drive would not know that and would
write the data to the sector and the CRC so it would look valid
to something scanning the disk for read errors). The most common
error you see from CD/DVD media is read problems where the
data read and the CRC do not match. For those errors, you don't
need to know what the data was that was written, you only need
to know you can't read correctly what is there.

mikey

Citizen Bob

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:30:23 -0800, "Mike Fields"
<spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

>CDSpeed DOES include a scan disk option which is
>what I was talking about where you scan for read errors that
>does NOT require it to write to the disk at all.

You are correct. I have never used it that way. I have always burned
the embedded data set first because that's what people do when they
are testing a blank disc.

However, as one poster pointed out the solution I am seeking is simple
- just compare the two files side by side. The fact that they are on a
DVD is irrelevant.

Now I need to find a simple disk file comparison utility. Anyone have
any suggestions for one that runs in Windows and is basically
one-click.

--

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a
few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving,
regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
--Ronald Reagan

David Harper

"Citizen Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:30:23 -0800, "Mike Fields"
> <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

<snip>

> However, as one poster pointed out the solution I am seeking is simple
> - just compare the two files side by side. The fact that they are on a
> DVD is irrelevant.
>
> Now I need to find a simple disk file comparison utility. Anyone have
> any suggestions for one that runs in Windows and is basically
> one-click.

QVerify from http://www.edinaz.com/ will compare binary files and entire
folders of files. It's free.

- David Harper

Frank

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:18:33 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article <Re: Verification>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Citizen Bob) wrote:

>Now I need to find a simple disk file comparison utility. Anyone have
>any suggestions for one that runs in Windows and is basically
>one-click.

There's the command line (cmd.exe in WinNT/2K/XP and command.com in
Win9x/Me) fc (file compare) command. Use the /b (binary) switch to
perform a bit-accurate comparison operation. Use the /? (help) switch
to display the syntax.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

Robert Roland

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:57:27 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Citizen Bob) wrote:

>I am looking to use Nero to Verify a previous burn on a separate run.
>The only way I can get Nero to perform a Verify is to include it as
>part of the burn process. I want to be able to run Verify alone
>without any burn process.

The short answer is: You can't.

The longer answer is: When Nero (or any other recording software)
burns files to disc, it creates the ISO data structure in RAM or a
temp file, and then sends that data to the recorder. If you create
another ISO image, you are not guaranteed that the image is bit-by-bit
exactly identical to the first, even if it contains the same files in
the same order. The process of creating the ISO data structure is not
100% predictable, so there is no way to reliably recreate the ISO
image to verify against.

>I can use any other application - it doesn't have to be Nero.

You can, of course, read back all the files and compare them to the
original files.

If you create an ISO file on the hard disk and then burn that, you
might be able to verify the recorded disc against the ISO file. I have
not tried this, nor have I checked if Nero supports it, but it is, at
least, technically possible.
--
RoRo

Citizen Bob

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:52:13 GMT, "David Harper"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>QVerify from http://www.edinaz.com/ will compare binary files and entire
>folders of files. It's free.

Thanks for the heads up. That is exactly what I was looking for.

--

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a
few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving,
regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
--Ronald Reagan

Citizen Bob

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:25:51 GMT, Frank
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There's the command line (cmd.exe in WinNT/2K/XP

As an old DOS hack (assembly, C) I should have remembered that.

Thanks but QVerify is the utility I want.