Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Wal-Mart's movie download plan: pay and pay again

Reply
Thread Tools

Wal-Mart's movie download plan: pay and pay again

 
 
Roy. Just Roy.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006

Quanta wrote:
> On Nov. 27 a judge ruled just that:
> Consumers have no rights other than playing on the device the media was
> licensed for. You cannot copy to iPod without paying. Simple.


As a wise man once said, "They can make it illegal to take a **** on
Sunday, that doesn't mean there's a cop in your crapper."

/Roy

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JoeBloe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:27:09 -0500, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>And then you try to buy more UMD movies and Memory Sticks in 2006.


Nope. Why buy a UMD form factor flic when it can only be played in a
few devices?

I said I make files from MY DVD library. If I want to watch a flic
in WS on the bus without actually having the disc, I can. I have a
mem stick that have photos and MP3s and such on it, and I have a stick
just for movies, 'cause I rip 'em to that file size to maximize the
resolution of the crunch down.

The downloaded previews of Spiderman 3 and such are cool and at
really high resolution for such a small display (to me).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JoeBloe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
On 6 Dec 2006 17:30:14 -0800, "Roy. Just Roy." <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>
>Quanta wrote:
>> On Nov. 27 a judge ruled just that:
>> Consumers have no rights other than playing on the device the media was
>> licensed for. You cannot copy to iPod without paying. Simple.

>
>As a wise man once said, "They can make it illegal to take a **** on
>Sunday, that doesn't mean there's a cop in your crapper."
>


If there was that retarded bastard would eat ****!

In Paramus, MJ one could not buy a skillet or broom on Sunday.

They even stopped the whores from buying panty hose!

Little mini bible belt up there.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill's News
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
JoeBloe wrote:
> On 6 Dec 2006 08:09:47 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Gave us:
>
>> Life was so much simpler then (and TV was so much more
>> enjoyable).

>
>
> You ain't real bright. That's what DVD collections are for!
>
> Then there's VOD.
>
> AND DVR!
>
> You appear as a horse with blinders on.


ALANIS MORISSETTE can't distinguish irony from misfortune
either!

And in case you think there's a difference between irony and
sarcasm, look up satire!

Any way, somebody missed the point, JoeBloe. Or were you being
ironically satirical in a sarcastic way?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich Clark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006

Quanta wrote:
> "Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Modemac wrote:
> >
> >> This effectively means that you're accepting the line that ripping a
> >> DVD that you purchased, to play on your own iPod, is illegal.

> >
> > Why does it have to mean that? Maybe it means that you don't have a
> > computer, or don't want to bother ripping your own DVDs, or just think
> > it's more convenient to get the movie on your iPod *right now*, or any
> > number of things.
> >
> >> Evidently the Sony-Betamax decision doesn't cover copying movies to an
> >> iPod.

> >
> > This is not evidence of that.

>
>
> Yes it is evidence of that. On Nov. 27 a judge ruled just that: Consumers
> have no rights other than playing on the device the media was licensed for.
> You cannot copy to iPod without paying. Simple.


That people charge you to paint your house is not evidence that it is
illegal for you to paint your own house. It may be illegal, or it may
not be illegal, but the existence of painters doesn't prove anything.
That Walmart is charging for an iPod-loading service is not evidence
that ripping is illegal. Ripping may be illegal, but WalMart's service
isn't evidence that it is.

It's logic, see?

RichC

 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
Rich Clark wrote:
> Quanta wrote:
>
>>"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...
>>
>>>Modemac wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>This effectively means that you're accepting the line that ripping a
>>>>DVD that you purchased, to play on your own iPod, is illegal.
>>>
>>>Why does it have to mean that? Maybe it means that you don't have a
>>>computer, or don't want to bother ripping your own DVDs, or just think
>>>it's more convenient to get the movie on your iPod *right now*, or any
>>>number of things.
>>>
>>>
>>>>Evidently the Sony-Betamax decision doesn't cover copying movies to an
>>>>iPod.
>>>
>>>This is not evidence of that.

>>
>>
>>Yes it is evidence of that. On Nov. 27 a judge ruled just that: Consumers
>>have no rights other than playing on the device the media was licensed for.
>>You cannot copy to iPod without paying. Simple.

>
>
> That people charge you to paint your house is not evidence that it is
> illegal for you to paint your own house. It may be illegal, or it may
> not be illegal, but the existence of painters doesn't prove anything.
> That Walmart is charging for an iPod-loading service is not evidence
> that ripping is illegal. Ripping may be illegal, but WalMart's service
> isn't evidence that it is.


A house, however, has a piece of paper, called a Deed, that says it's
Yours, until you sell it. You can fix it, rebuild it, or paint it lil'
pink for you and me.

A DVD, similarly, also comes with a statement, on the front of it while
you're waiting for the darn menu to load--That one says it ISN'T yours,
it technically belongs to the studio, but they were gracious enough to
loan one copy to watch in your own home, or else Interpol is going to
send Detective Zenigata after you.
....It's nice when these issues are spelled out.

Personally, I have my suspicions about whether Wal-mart has been doing
any housepainting of their own, seeing as if they had licensed from the
studio, the studios would be charging a heck of a lot MORE rent than
$1.97 (qv. Amazon's Unbox).
And Wal-mart does have a history of getting a little too psychologicaly
caught up in their own DVD-sales saturation.

Derek Janssen
ejanss
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich Clark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006

Derek Janssen wrote:

[stuff]

All you people are proving is that you can't read for content.

I never said anything about whether ripping DVDs is legal or not.

I only said that Walmart's service is not evidence of ripping being
illegal, or of anything but their desire to make a profit offering a
service.

One might make a case that it's evidence that DVD ripping is difficult
and complicated enough that people who shop at Walmart will pay to have
somebody else do it. The legality of it is not even an issue in this
context. There's nothing implicit or explicit in the offer that says
"it's illegal for you to do it yourself, so let us do it for you." The
offer is simply "Let us do it for you."

RichC

 
Reply With Quote
 
FrozenNorth
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
Rich Clark tossed the following at the wall, and it stuck:

>
> Derek Janssen wrote:
>
> [stuff]
>
> All you people are proving is that you can't read for content.
>
> I never said anything about whether ripping DVDs is legal or not.
>
> I only said that Walmart's service is not evidence of ripping being
> illegal, or of anything but their desire to make a profit offering a
> service.
>
> One might make a case that it's evidence that DVD ripping is difficult
> and complicated enough that people who shop at Walmart will pay to have
> somebody else do it. The legality of it is not even an issue in this
> context. There's nothing implicit or explicit in the offer that says
> "it's illegal for you to do it yourself, so let us do it for you." The
> offer is simply "Let us do it for you."
>

The OP posted $2 per disc, I know that there is no way that I could rip and
then burn a DVD fast enough at $2 per that I could make any money using a
normal computer with a good burner, or rip and upload to an iPod.

Obviously they must have invested in some more specialized equipment so that
this is feasible to do at this cost, and turn a profit, even if the
operator is only paid minimum Wally World wages.

It would need to be done in less than 5 minutes to have a hope of being
profitable.

--
Q: How many journalists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Three. One to report it as an inspired government program to bring
light to the people, one to report it as a diabolical government plot to
deprive the poor of darkness, and one to win a Pulitzer prize for reporting
that Electric Company hired a light bulb-assassin to break the bulb in the
first place.

Froz...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
FrozenNorth wrote:

> Rich Clark tossed the following at the wall, and it stuck:
>
>
>>Derek Janssen wrote:
>>
>>[stuff]
>>
>>All you people are proving is that you can't read for content.
>>
>>I never said anything about whether ripping DVDs is legal or not.
>>
>>I only said that Walmart's service is not evidence of ripping being
>>illegal, or of anything but their desire to make a profit offering a
>>service.
>>
>>One might make a case that it's evidence that DVD ripping is difficult
>>and complicated enough that people who shop at Walmart will pay to have
>>somebody else do it. The legality of it is not even an issue in this
>>context. There's nothing implicit or explicit in the offer that says
>>"it's illegal for you to do it yourself, so let us do it for you." The
>>offer is simply "Let us do it for you."
>>

> The OP posted $2 per disc, I know that there is no way that I could rip and
> then burn a DVD fast enough at $2 per that I could make any money using a
> normal computer with a good burner, or rip and upload to an iPod.
>
> Obviously they must have invested in some more specialized equipment so that
> this is feasible to do at this cost, and turn a profit, even if the
> operator is only paid minimum Wally World wages.


....Uh, THAT would be illegal. Which's why I'm holding out suspicions
about the current service.
What WM is planning is probably something through the website--But even
though there's security all over, and a charge for each single device up
to two (Apple gives you a five-device license for one download), $2 is
just a *little* too darn cheap to be true. :/

DO they plan to just "rip the disk the minute it comes in the store", as
we're all fantasizing they are, or have they contracted deals with the
studio that require you to purchase the disk first, with codes, 'n such?
Studios are just a little too tight-fisted for the plan as it is now
(and in primitive fear and awe of the Downloading Volcano God Whose Name
Is Destruction)...And even Apple's service requires buying the entire
file for $10, since no "rental plan" was technically possible.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tarkus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2006
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:32:19 -0500, Derek Janssen wrote:

> DO they plan to just "rip the disk the minute it comes in the store", as
> we're all fantasizing they are, or have they contracted deals with the
> studio that require you to purchase the disk first, with codes, 'n such?


Why does everyone assume they're ripping anything? More likely is they'd
get the files in the proper format from the studios day and date with the
DVDs. So they'd just make a quick copy.
--
I went to a 7-11 and asked for a 2x4 and a box of 3x5's. The clerk said,
"ten-four." -- Steven Wright

Now playing: "Emerson, Lake & Palmer - 21st Century Schizoid Man"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD Authoring program that treats each movie on a DVD as a serperate movie ? Son Of Sheep. DVD Video 0 07-10-2005 06:31 PM
Movie : Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) Has this movie shown here ?? Mutley NZ Computing 4 06-04-2005 10:47 PM
Ads / movie trailers on Garfield movie DVD ----- whayface DVD Video 4 10-23-2004 02:35 PM



Advertisments