Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster vs. Netflix

Blockbuster vs. Netflix

TH

Haddatten Huttendrut wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "TH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I hope they go under, it would be nice to see a company that scammed so
> > many people get its just rewards. If they changed their advertising to
> > "up to such and such a month" or something like that, you'd see all the
> > throttling argumetns disappear (although knowing Netflix, they'd
> > probably still pull some throttling scam).

> What's your cost per disc? Can you do better elsewhere, with comparable
> selection and delivery to your mailbox? How would Netflix changing their
> advertising or going under improve your life?

It doesn't matter what my cost per disk is. You guys who stick up for
Netlfix have the same lame argument. "You shouldn't try and get so many
disks." You never admit that what Netflix is doing is wrong, it's
"they'll lose money if they don't" despite the fact they claim you can
get "unlimited" disks, which you can't. Whether you like it or not,
they make a claim and then do the opposite which is sleazy no matter
what way you look at it.

The fact is, Netflix claims you can get "unlimited" disks for a certain
amount a month. It's not true. It's true for a good portion of the
time, then they decide a person is getting too many, so they hold back
disks. Now the disks I get are lots of kids disks, old disks, TV shows,
rarely anything new, so I'm not trying to get new releases from lesser
users or anything. So you can't claim it's lack of product. Netflix
would rather not have my 20 bucks a month than have it. And to attempt
to make an argument for yourself, you put words in my mouth. I never
said changing their advertising "would improv my life." I've never
implied my life would be better because anything Netflix has done. I
said don't claim you get "unlimited" disks and then not deliver because
you don't like it peoiple actually get as many disks as possible. Get
rid of that claim and you won't have people complaining about being
throttled.]

It would be like a dealership selling you a car and telling you, you
get a free oil change every 3000 miles. But you drive for a living so
you're there every week. After two months they decide "we'll give you
your free oil change every 6000 miles because you drive too much"
except they don't actually tell you that, they just don't work on your
car, despite the fact the sign outside says "free oil change every 3000
miles"

Haddatten's response: "Well you shouldn't drive so much then."

Derek Janssen

TH wrote:

> It would be like a dealership selling you a car and telling you, you
> get a free oil change every 3000 miles. But you drive for a living so
> you're there every week. After two months they decide "we'll give you
> your free oil change every 6000 miles because you drive too much"
> except they don't actually tell you that, they just don't work on your
> car, despite the fact the sign outside says "free oil change every 3000
> miles"
>
> Haddatten's response: "Well you shouldn't drive so much then."

(So....you watch DVD's for a living, then?)

Derek Janssen (dang, gotta get me that job)

TH

Derek Janssen wrote:
> TH wrote:
>
> (So....you watch DVD's for a living, then?)
>
> Derek Janssen (dang, gotta get me that job)
> (E-Mail Removed)

(you couldn't get the job because of your hectic lifestyle.)

(you know, all that socializing you do with your family and friends)

(and spending time on the computer)

lol

Justin

TH wrote on [9 Dec 2006 08:43:17 -0800]:
> It would be like a dealership selling you a car and telling you, you
> get a free oil change every 3000 miles. But you drive for a living so
> you're there every week. After two months they decide "we'll give you
> your free oil change every 6000 miles because you drive too much"
> except they don't actually tell you that, they just don't work on your
> car, despite the fact the sign outside says "free oil change every 3000
> miles"

Most places like that exclude business use from their terms.