Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster vs. Netflix

Blockbuster vs. Netflix

Hertz_Donut

Anyone who thinks BB offers a better deal than Netflix should not have the
word "smart" in their handle...

Honu

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Blockbuster Total Access is a much better service than Netflix, here is
> a holiday deal with 4 week free. Happy holidays !
>
> Blockbuster Total Access - 4 Weeks Free - Promotion Code : 1969ta
>
> Visit web at http://www.blockbuster.com/bbfamily and enter promo code
> "1969ta"
>
> root wrote:
>> I recently finished free trials of both Neflix and Blockbuster video
>> rental services. I live in the greater Los Angeles area, about 20
>> miles from the Blockbuster center, forty miles from the Netflix site.
>> The local Blockbuster rental store is within easy walking distance.
>> The Netflix trial was for four weeks, the Blockbuster for two.
>>
>> Based upon this experience the Blockbuster service was in every
>> way superior to that of Netflix. Netflix does not process orders
>> on weekends or holidays, Blockbuster seems to work 24/7. Netflix
>> requires two-way mail service for every disk, you can return
>> your disks to your local Blockbuster store, have the disks scanned
>> in, and the Blockbuster center will ship your next entry.
>>
>> As an example, I returned a disk to my local Blockbuster store
>> on Thanksgiving day; the Blockbuster center received notice
>> and shipped out a replacement that day; I received the replacement
>> on the day after Thanksgiving.
>>
>> Upon returning a disk to the local Blockbuster you can take out
>> a free rental for any disk in the store. Following on my
>> Thanksgiving experience above, after I returned the disk I was
>> able to take out another immediately. There is no way that Netflix
>> can match that.
>>
>> If you are interested in video rental by mail I encourage you to
>> take advantage of the Blockbuster free trial.

root

Citizen Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is no assurance that the local BB store even has any DVDs you
> want.

That question is easily resolved.

Citizen Bob

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:22:34 -0800, Haddatten Huttendrut
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Netflix is dandy for most folks with reasonable viewing habits - amazing
>selection and prompt service other than temporary bottlenecks for popular new
>releases. The folks who complain the most seem to be those who want some
>maximized ideal of throughput so that they can copy as many titles as possible
>to build a library (they can't possibly watch that many flicks, if they have a
>job and/or a life). They don't want to pay for more than the 3-out "unlimited"
>plan, and look forward to the on-demand download model, but will be disappointed
>when that has (as it must) an even more rigid "throttling" or pay-per-download
>scheme.

Netflix is capable of feeding you all the DVDs you need if you use
your mailbox to return them. You can get three DVDs twice per week if
Netflix cooperates, which is most of the time.

Here's a typical schedule:

Receive 3 on Monday, send them back in your mailbox on Tuesday, they
receive them on Wednesday and ship for Thursday delivery, which you
return Friday and they ship on Friday for Monday delivery - and the
cycle repeats.

That's 6 DVDs per week, assuming an ideal schedule on the part of
Netflix and the USPS. In reality a less than perfect schedule
including holidays, you get an average of 20 per month for which you
pay $20 with tax. That's $1 per DVD. And you do not waste gas going to
a brick and mortar store where they likely do not have the DVDs you
want.

It is possible to watch 3 DVDs in the 24 hours between arrival and
return, so you do not have to copy them. If you copy them and run them
to an afternoon drop at the post office, you can in principle get 9
per week but that's when Netflix begins to throttle you so it is
cheaper to return them via mailbox.

--

"Yet the legislative being only a fiduciary power to act for certain
ends, there remains still in the people a supreme power to remove or

Citizen Bob

On 4 Dec 2006 19:33:43 -0800, "TH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I always find it odd that people find fault when someone says Netflix
>throttles them. Whether you think someone should only be allowed a
>certain number of disks a month or not is moot. The fact is Netflix
>claims you can have as many disks as you want, meaning if you turn it
>over the next day, another shouldl be sent right out, not "you can get
>as many as you want unless we deem it's too many, then we'll hold back
>some." If somoene turns over their disks the next day, they have the
>right to have the next disk in their queue sent out with the same speed
>as anyone else. OR, Netflix can simply change their motto to "as many
>disks as we think is fair to us." The fact you have decided what is a
>"reasonable viewing habit" shows you think your opinion is the one
>everyone should adhere to and that's that. After all, you've decided
>what is a "reasonable viewing habit."

Netflix is pretty good about sending an average of 5 DVDs per week,
holidays included. But when you try to get 9 by returning them the
same day you receive them, Netflix will throttle you. There is no way
you can possibly screen 3 DVDs in the short time between receiving
them and returning them the same day. You might pull it off once in a
while but not 3 times per week.

Hey, $1 per DVD is a fair deal as far as I am concerned - and that can
be achieved with regularity (holidays taken into account) if you put
the return in your mailbox the next day. We are retired so we can
watch 3 DVDs in a 24 hour period especially if my wife watches one and
I watch a different one on a second TV. We can them watch the third
one together. That's 2 DVDs apiece, which is no big deal even if you
are not retired.

--

"Yet the legislative being only a fiduciary power to act for certain
ends, there remains still in the people a supreme power to remove or
alter the legislative, when they find the legislative act contrary to
the trust reposed in them....And thus the community perpetually retains
a supreme power of saving themselves from the attempts and designs of
any body, even of their legislators, whenever they shall be so foolish
or so wicked as to lay and carry on designs against the liberties and
properties of the subject."
--John Locke

Citizen Bob

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 22:41:22 -0500, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>After all, you've decided
>> what is a "reasonable viewing habit."

>...Maybe you're not the person to decide that?

Then NF needs to change their language.

--

"Yet the legislative being only a fiduciary power to act for certain
ends, there remains still in the people a supreme power to remove or
alter the legislative, when they find the legislative act contrary to
the trust reposed in them....And thus the community perpetually retains
a supreme power of saving themselves from the attempts and designs of
any body, even of their legislators, whenever they shall be so foolish
or so wicked as to lay and carry on designs against the liberties and
properties of the subject."
--John Locke

Citizen Bob

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:05:51 -0800, Haddatten Huttendrut
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Maybe Netflix should change their advertising, but it doesn't seem to be a
>problem for any but a few determined to push it to the limit.

NF needs to change their language to include the phrase "normal
viewing". That would exclude anyone who copies.

I have had no problems getting all the DVDs we can reasonably watch.
That's an average of 5 per week, which takes into account the
occasional delay and holidays. I do not have a problem with paying NF
$1 per DVD.

Here's something about people obsessed with copying rentals - they
will likely never watch the copy - so copying is a waste of money in
general. I realize there are exceptions, but they are not the rule.

--

"Yet the legislative being only a fiduciary power to act for certain
ends, there remains still in the people a supreme power to remove or
alter the legislative, when they find the legislative act contrary to
the trust reposed in them....And thus the community perpetually retains
a supreme power of saving themselves from the attempts and designs of
any body, even of their legislators, whenever they shall be so foolish
or so wicked as to lay and carry on designs against the liberties and
properties of the subject."
--John Locke

Citizen Bob

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:17:22 -0800, Haddatten Huttendrut
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Free is when you don't have to pay for nothing or do nothing.
>We got to be free! Free as the wind!"
> - Frank Zappa, "Teenage Wind"

Sounds more like Teenage Flatulance.

--

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 08:13:16 GMT, root <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> There is no assurance that the local BB store even has any DVDs you
>> want.

>That question is easily resolved.

How?

--

"Yet the legislative being only a fiduciary power to act for certain
ends, there remains still in the people a supreme power to remove or
alter the legislative, when they find the legislative act contrary to
the trust reposed in them....And thus the community perpetually retains
a supreme power of saving themselves from the attempts and designs of
any body, even of their legislators, whenever they shall be so foolish
or so wicked as to lay and carry on designs against the liberties and
properties of the subject."
--John Locke

Karl S

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 14:28:29 GMT, Citizen Bob wrote:

> NF needs to change their language to include the phrase "normal
> viewing". That would exclude anyone who copies.

I agree with you on this. I have been a happy NetFix user since 1999, have
never been throttled, think they should throttle unreasonable customers,
and have defended them on almost everything but this.

It reminds me of when Walmart's motto was "Always the LOWEST prices,
always." Because they didn't *always* have the lowest prices, they had to
change it to Always LOW prices.

TH

Haddatten Huttendrut wrote:

> It's really simple. "Unlimited" is exactly that for folks with normal
> renting/viewing habits, and allows for the odd spikes of a flick or more per day
> (within the limits of postal service). What's "reasonable" is what allows the
> company to make a profit while serving most customers - without that, there'd be
> no company, service, selection, etc. If you aren't getting your desired number
> of discs per month, try the 8-out plan, or see if you can do better with a
> competitor.

Again, YOU do not get to determine what the word "unlimited" means.
According to you, "unlimited" is the amount of disks you apparently
deem "reasonable." Got news for ya, buddy. That's not "unlimited"

> Maybe Netflix should change their advertising, but it doesn't seem to be a
> problem for any but a few determined to push it to the limit.

Few, huh? Yeah, that's why there was a class action law suit that
Netflix lost. Class action generally means a lot more than a "few" but
then again, you don't know what "unlimited" means either. You are
correct, though. If Netflix changed their advertising to "You can get
up to (so many) disks a month" instead of unlimited, no one would have
an argument. As it it, they lie in their advertising and then pull
scams, which they admit to, to people who have a high turnover rate.
If it was a "few" as you pretend, Netflix wouldn't be throttling, they
wouldn't care.