Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HDTV in Full Screen!

HDTV in Full Screen!

Walter Traprock

Folks, you should know, there's HDTV in standard aspect ratio!

There's no need for the distortion-vision of widescreen TVs!
There's no need for bright gray bars to "warn" you that you're
watching material in the "wrong" aspect ratio.

Go for flat screen, in Academy ratio as it's now possible.

telenovels

Walter Traprock wrote:
> Folks, you should know, there's HDTV in standard aspect ratio!
> There's no need for the distortion-vision of widescreen TVs!
> There's no need for bright gray bars to "warn" you that you're
> watching material in the "wrong" aspect ratio.
>
> Go for flat screen, in Academy ratio as it's now possible.

..

Why would I want to view my rectangle-shaped videos/movies on a square
tv?

That makes NO sense.

Obveeus

"telenovels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Why would I want to view my rectangle-shaped videos/movies on a square
> tv?
>
> That makes NO sense.

I agree. However, it makes equally little sense to watch a square TV
program in stretch-o-vision.

Until they make wide screen TVs that suffer no ill effects from having
black/grey bars on the sides during normal TV viewing, they remain a waste
of money.

Justin

telenovels wrote on [2 Dec 2006 08:54:11 -0800]:
> Why would I want to view my rectangle-shaped videos/movies on a square
> tv?

Because you are watching the movie and not the TV, perhaps.

Btw, 4:3 isn't square

Walter Traprock

"Obveeus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "telenovels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Why would I want to view my rectangle-shaped videos/movies on a square
> > tv?
> >
> > That makes NO sense.

It's great for watching subtitled widescreen movies, as the subtitles
show up in the lower black bar.

> I agree. However, it makes equally little sense to watch a square TV
> program in stretch-o-vision.

Distortion-vision is MUCH worse than having black bars! I wonder if
it even causes eye problems.

> Until they make wide screen TVs that suffer no ill effects from having
> black/grey bars on the sides during normal TV viewing, they remain a waste
> of money.

Especially when you can buy non-widescreen HDTVs!

Justin

Walter Traprock wrote on [Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:38:56 -0800]:
> "Obveeus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Until they make wide screen TVs that suffer no ill effects from having
>> black/grey bars on the sides during normal TV viewing, they remain a waste
>> of money.

> Especially when you can buy non-widescreen HDTVs!

How does that work with black bars on the top and bottom for 16:9 TV
broadcast?

Bill's News

Walter Traprock wrote:
> Folks, you should know, there's HDTV in standard aspect ratio!
>
> There's no need for the distortion-vision of widescreen TVs!
> There's no need for bright gray bars to "warn" you that you're
> watching material in the "wrong" aspect ratio.
>
> Go for flat screen, in Academy ratio as it's now possible.

The movie theaters (cinemas) around here use an adjustable bezel
to set the viewable screen area to the size and aspect of the
film being shown. Get yourself an HDTV projector, an 8' or
larger diagonal screen, and do the same thing. Then you can
stop whining about formats and screen sizes/shapes!

marc0ni@earthlink.net

Walter Traprock wrote:
> Folks, you should know, there's HDTV in standard aspect ratio!
>
> There's no need for the distortion-vision of widescreen TVs!
> There's no need for bright gray bars to "warn" you that you're
> watching material in the "wrong" aspect ratio.
>
> Go for flat screen, in Academy ratio as it's now possible.

Forward! Into the past...

(with acknowledgement to the Firesign Theatre(?) )

Now if you desaturate the color signal, you can also have the kind of
B&W set yer grand-pappy used to enjoy.

moviePig

Walter Traprock wrote:
> Folks, you should know, there's HDTV in standard aspect ratio!
>
> There's no need for the distortion-vision of widescreen TVs!
> There's no need for bright gray bars to "warn" you that you're
> watching material in the "wrong" aspect ratio.
>
> Go for flat screen, in Academy ratio as it's now possible.

Might make sense *if* your set's to be used only for 4:3 movies. For
the rest of us, though, 16:9's a reasonable compromise (between 1.85:1
and 2:35:1)... with 4:3 getting shortest shrift, which is justifiable
considering that older movies generally have coarser resolution to
begin with, and thus won't suffer as much, percentage-wise, in a
reduced raster-portion.

--

/---------------------------\
| YOUR taste at work... |

Derek Janssen

Obveeus wrote:

> "telenovels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Why would I want to view my rectangle-shaped videos/movies on a square
>>tv?
>>
>>That makes NO sense.

> I agree. However, it makes equally little sense to watch a square TV
> program in stretch-o-vision.

Uh, still haven't found the "16:9/4:3" aspect-ratio button on the remote
and/or menu, then?
Don't worry, once you find it, you can show Walter where it is, too.

Derek Janssen