Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > HD tv and non HD reception

HD tv and non HD reception

habshi

Why does ordinary tv look so blurred on a HD tv ? Is there any
way one can decrease the resolution so the pixels get bigger and the
picture better.
Via the computer a dvd movie plays fine on my HD 32in LCD
monitor , but if I play the same dvd through and ordinary dvd player
or one with hd upscaling it looks blurred . What can one do about it ?
India needs to start hd broadcasting straight away. There is
plenty of satellite space for many hd channels and many well off
Indians already have hd ready tv. and if the broadcasters like zee ,
sony or star , record and broadcast in hd they can create a huge
market overseas.

"habshi" <hi@anony> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why does ordinary tv look so blurred on a HD tv ? Is there any
> way one can decrease the resolution so the pixels get bigger and the
> picture better.

Actually, if you want a better picture, you need to increase the resolution
and make the pixels smaller, not the other way around.

> Via the computer a dvd movie plays fine on my HD 32in LCD
> monitor , but if I play the same dvd through and ordinary dvd player
> or one with hd upscaling it looks blurred . What can one do about it ?
> India needs to start hd broadcasting straight away. There is
> plenty of satellite space for many hd channels and many well off
> Indians already have hd ready tv. and if the broadcasters like zee ,
> sony or star , record and broadcast in hd they can create a huge
> market overseas.

An excellent idea. But the television-set manufacturing sector need to make
these receivers first, at an affordable price besides.

Indian channels, cable, satellite, or broadcast, will need to change (or
add) to HD sooner or later any way.

May be India needs those Rupees to first spend on uplifting the
underdeveloped masses first.

Then they will be able to not only stand on their feet but buy their own HD
equipment, perhaps!

habshi

The high definition reception on high definition channels is
perfect but the ordinary tv broadcasts are blurred and I have seen
this on every tv I have seen in shops or homes . How can we tackle
this?
The rich in India do have hd tv , can they record on hard
drives and watch hd that way?

Richard C.

"habshi" <hi@anony> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why does ordinary tv look so blurred on a HD tv ? Is there any
> way one can decrease the resolution so the pixels get bigger and the
> picture better.

With OTA reception on my Pioneer RPTV, SD looks better than it ever did on
my old
NTSC set with cable.
It depends on your source and the quality of your set.

> Via the computer a dvd movie plays fine on my HD 32in LCD
> monitor , but if I play the same dvd through and ordinary dvd player
> or one with hd upscaling it looks blurred . What can one do about it ?
> India needs to start hd broadcasting straight away. There is
> plenty of satellite space for many hd channels and many well off
> Indians already have hd ready tv. and if the broadcasters like zee ,
> sony or star , record and broadcast in hd they can create a huge
> market overseas.

M. Ranjit Mathews

habshi wrote:
> Why does ordinary tv look so blurred on a HD tv?

> Is there any
> way one can decrease the resolution so the pixels get bigger and the
> picture better.

You'd have to increase the resolution so that the pixels get smaller
and the picture better. This can be done with a PAL to HDTV
oversampling filter. Since you can't build one yourself, you'll have to
see if anyone else has built one and has it for sale.

> Via the computer a dvd movie plays fine on my HD 32in LCD
> monitor , but if I play the same dvd through and ordinary dvd player
> or one with hd upscaling it looks blurred . What can one do about it ?
> India needs to start hd broadcasting straight away. There is
> plenty of satellite space for many hd channels and many well off
> Indians already have hd ready tv. and if the broadcasters like zee ,
> sony or star , record and broadcast in hd they can create a huge
> market overseas.

habshi

I have 32in phillips hd ready computer monitor and a 50in HD
plasma pioneer both latest, so why is the reception even of dvd so
bad?
However hd broadcasts are received perfectly. I also have a
Sanyo hd video camera which has a good picture on its tiny monitor but
again on ordinary or hd tv screen looks terrible.

habshi

I also have a samsung dvd player which upscales normal dvd to
hd but again it looks terrible on a hd screen! even Hollywood movies .

M. Ranjit Mathews

habshi wrote:
> I also have a samsung dvd player which upscales normal dvd to
> hd but again it looks terrible on a hd screen! even Hollywood movies .

Then, it doesn't do a good job of oversampling.

Joshua Zyber

"habshi" <hi@anony> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have 32in phillips hd ready computer monitor and a 50in HD
> plasma pioneer both latest, so why is the reception even of dvd so
> bad?
> However hd broadcasts are received perfectly. I also have a
> Sanyo hd video camera which has a good picture on its tiny monitor but
> again on ordinary or hd tv screen looks terrible.

Have you calibrated the set or are you using the factory default
settings?

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"habshi" <hi@anony> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why does ordinary tv look so blurred on a HD tv ? Is there any
>> way one can decrease the resolution so the pixels get bigger and the
>> picture better.

>With OTA reception on my Pioneer RPTV, SD looks better than it ever did on
>my old
>NTSC set with cable.
>It depends on your source and the quality of your set.

Plus so many people who buy HDTV sets have no idea how to properly adjust the
sharpness and noise reduction settings optimaly on their sets.

These people who are seeing blurred video are likely using composite.