Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Conflicting codecs??

Reply
Thread Tools

Conflicting codecs??

 
 
paulg7083
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2006
Has anyone experienced problems with conflicting codecs? Is this
possible?

I have had my PC (Athlon 64 3800+ with Asus MB) for about 4 months and
have loaded up various video editing/DVD authoring packages (Pinnacle
Studio, Womble, Nero 7.xx, WinAVi etc) and the Storm Codec pack.

I have had problems as follows:

1) In Windows Explorer, when you right click on any video file the
screen blanks for a couple of seconds and then comes back again.
2) When I change Windows accounts the screen goes blank before logging
into the other account.
3) The PC suddenly powers off - totally. This has happened usually when
it is not being used - I have been in the room when it happens, there
is no warning, it just powers off.

Event log shows nothing - anyone know something better that can log all
sorts of info about the PC.

I have had the PC back to the store where I bought it and their tests
could find no problems, but I did make them replace the power supply.
The tech suggested I might have conflicting drivers (are codecs drivers
of a sort, since you can view them in device manager).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
paulg7083
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2006
I should also add that I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150MCE card
installed and using the standard WinTV software.

Paul

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill's News
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2006
paulg7083 wrote:
> Has anyone experienced problems with conflicting codecs? Is
> this
> possible?
>
> I have had my PC (Athlon 64 3800+ with Asus MB) for about 4
> months and
> have loaded up various video editing/DVD authoring packages
> (Pinnacle
> Studio, Womble, Nero 7.xx, WinAVi etc) and the Storm Codec
> pack.
>
> I have had problems as follows:
>
> 1) In Windows Explorer, when you right click on any video file
> the
> screen blanks for a couple of seconds and then comes back
> again.
> 2) When I change Windows accounts the screen goes blank before
> logging
> into the other account.
> 3) The PC suddenly powers off - totally. This has happened
> usually
> when it is not being used - I have been in the room when it
> happens,
> there is no warning, it just powers off.
>
> Event log shows nothing - anyone know something better that
> can log
> all sorts of info about the PC.
>
> I have had the PC back to the store where I bought it and
> their tests
> could find no problems, but I did make them replace the power
> supply.
> The tech suggested I might have conflicting drivers (are
> codecs
> drivers of a sort, since you can view them in device manager).
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul


I've recently bought a 2g AMD 64x2 3800 - 1 gig - from DELL
(call me irresponsible;-0)
I also use a Hauppauge USB2 WinTV2k v3.0.

Here is a smattering of the problems I've had, none of which I
now attribute to the capture card nor its software.

My first ever non-Intel CPU.

Day one problem:

Periodically the sound stops. Most apps ignore the error and
proceed soundlessly. Control panel, sounds & audio devices,
sounds tab, asterisk > (play sound) reports an error (sorry,
failed to write it down). Reboot restores sound.

Subsequent problems:

Over the two days following setup, I installed the apps which
were running problem free on this PC's predecessor (a 2gp4-512,
multi drive) and are still running on a Toshiba P35 laptop
(3.2gp4d-512 - 80g hdd)

The video capture program, WinTV2K, display panel (Hauppauge
USB2 capture device) picture freezes, while the application
continues otherwise unaffected to capture correctly to a file.
Obviously not a major problem, simply disconcerting.

The USB2 modem (Creative DE5671-1) not previously used, and
operated by Call Station v3.10 (the same software run on the
2gp4 with internal modem) frequently fails to catch the caller
ID.

An external DVD burner (NEC 3550) needs to be plugged in,
unplugged, and plugged in again - sometimes repeatedly - before
recognized by the system. Power on while plugged in, or reboot
while powered on and plugged in, are insufficient to recognize
the unit. The extra unplug/replug is always required.

Periodically the system performance drops drastically (typical
apps here are TV capture, editing out of commercials, conversion
from MPEG2 to MPEG4, burning as-is to DVD+RW data discs). A two
pass conversion is typically done at 100 fps during the first
pass and 35 fps during the second pass. When I notice the
performance operating at half or less those frame rates, I abort
the process. Windows task manager shows 60% +/- 10% dual CPU
usage before the abort. After the abort, one processor drops to
2% or so, while the other continues to fluctuate around 60%
though no processes are reported as consuming more than 2% and
sys-idle is at ~98%. A reboot causes the system to hang at
"Windows is shutting down" every time. Power off, wait, on
again is the only cure.

Two +RW discs, burned on the internal drive by Nero 6.6.0.12
were not only unreadable, they could not be erased - as the
drive never relinquishes control back to the software after
these burned disks are inserted. Other discs, +RW, +R, and -R
have burned properly - though I tend to use the NEC 3550 in fear
of a repetition. I did not think to check whether this ghost
CPU usage occurred during the burns, as I was unaware of the
problem until the burn verify step hung. Afterward is when I
found the discs inaccessible.

Interestingly all discs burn faster than they verify?

Three video discs copied from the internal drive to HDD had
severe drop outs when played. The same discs, when read from
the external NEC 3550 had none. These discs had been recorded
months earlier on the replaced PC. I now only restore video
from and record video to the NEC drive.

I've recently added a USB2 hub (7:1), after which I was able to
add my HP 840C DeskJet. While this works properly most times,
the printer is sometimes not recognized (similar to the 3550)
until a second power down, power up. It is seldom initiated
from the power down state by Word - which it never failed to do
on the 2gp4 nor the laptop.

I've loaded the DELL support app, run check now, and the first
thing it tells me is that a system check point has not been
taken for more that 30 days. Opening the system restore
manager, I find that a restore point exists for every day but
one of the past 15 days. Needless to say, I find no reason to
run, nor rely on, this DELL program.

The 2gp4-512 I replaced with this DELL unit was purchased in
2000 and has been powered down but 4 times in the six years for
hardware mods, and rebooted only when installing new software.
The DELL DIMC521 has to be rebooted several times a day just to
recover form the above issues.

I've delayed writing to DELL because it's not crystal clear
wherein the faults lie. However, since all these apps run
without incident on other PCs, I can only conclude it is this PC
creating the situation.

Note to the OP: This is not my first DELL, though first in a
while, and I've bought several non-AMD DELLs for others which
have run fine. I also have a Toshiba P35 laptop, which is the
Intel 3.2 GHz mobility version of the AMD dual core chip. Only
this AMD system exhibits problems with the same apps running on
Intel systems. Still, I can not pin point the source of these
problems and am reluctant to point more than one finger in that
direction.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Marsh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2006
Bill's News wrote:
> paulg7083 wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced problems with conflicting codecs? Is
>> this
>> possible?
>>
>> I have had my PC (Athlon 64 3800+ with Asus MB) for about 4
>> months and
>> have loaded up various video editing/DVD authoring packages
>> (Pinnacle
>> Studio, Womble, Nero 7.xx, WinAVi etc) and the Storm Codec
>> pack.
>>
>> I have had problems as follows:
>>
>> 1) In Windows Explorer, when you right click on any video file
>> the
>> screen blanks for a couple of seconds and then comes back
>> again.
>> 2) When I change Windows accounts the screen goes blank before
>> logging
>> into the other account.
>> 3) The PC suddenly powers off - totally. This has happened
>> usually
>> when it is not being used - I have been in the room when it
>> happens,
>> there is no warning, it just powers off.
>>
>> Event log shows nothing - anyone know something better that
>> can log
>> all sorts of info about the PC.
>>
>> I have had the PC back to the store where I bought it and
>> their tests
>> could find no problems, but I did make them replace the power
>> supply.
>> The tech suggested I might have conflicting drivers (are
>> codecs
>> drivers of a sort, since you can view them in device manager).
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Paul

>
> I've recently bought a 2g AMD 64x2 3800 - 1 gig - from DELL
> (call me irresponsible;-0)
> I also use a Hauppauge USB2 WinTV2k v3.0.
>
> Here is a smattering of the problems I've had, none of which I
> now attribute to the capture card nor its software.
>
> My first ever non-Intel CPU.
>
> Day one problem:
>
> Periodically the sound stops. Most apps ignore the error and
> proceed soundlessly. Control panel, sounds & audio devices,
> sounds tab, asterisk > (play sound) reports an error (sorry,
> failed to write it down). Reboot restores sound.
>
> Subsequent problems:
>
> Over the two days following setup, I installed the apps which
> were running problem free on this PC's predecessor (a 2gp4-512,
> multi drive) and are still running on a Toshiba P35 laptop
> (3.2gp4d-512 - 80g hdd)
>
> The video capture program, WinTV2K, display panel (Hauppauge
> USB2 capture device) picture freezes, while the application
> continues otherwise unaffected to capture correctly to a file.
> Obviously not a major problem, simply disconcerting.
>
> The USB2 modem (Creative DE5671-1) not previously used, and
> operated by Call Station v3.10 (the same software run on the
> 2gp4 with internal modem) frequently fails to catch the caller
> ID.
>
> An external DVD burner (NEC 3550) needs to be plugged in,
> unplugged, and plugged in again - sometimes repeatedly - before
> recognized by the system. Power on while plugged in, or reboot
> while powered on and plugged in, are insufficient to recognize
> the unit. The extra unplug/replug is always required.
>
> Periodically the system performance drops drastically (typical
> apps here are TV capture, editing out of commercials, conversion
> from MPEG2 to MPEG4, burning as-is to DVD+RW data discs). A two
> pass conversion is typically done at 100 fps during the first
> pass and 35 fps during the second pass. When I notice the
> performance operating at half or less those frame rates, I abort
> the process. Windows task manager shows 60% +/- 10% dual CPU
> usage before the abort. After the abort, one processor drops to
> 2% or so, while the other continues to fluctuate around 60%
> though no processes are reported as consuming more than 2% and
> sys-idle is at ~98%. A reboot causes the system to hang at
> "Windows is shutting down" every time. Power off, wait, on
> again is the only cure.
>
> Two +RW discs, burned on the internal drive by Nero 6.6.0.12
> were not only unreadable, they could not be erased - as the
> drive never relinquishes control back to the software after
> these burned disks are inserted. Other discs, +RW, +R, and -R
> have burned properly - though I tend to use the NEC 3550 in fear
> of a repetition. I did not think to check whether this ghost
> CPU usage occurred during the burns, as I was unaware of the
> problem until the burn verify step hung. Afterward is when I
> found the discs inaccessible.
>
> Interestingly all discs burn faster than they verify?
>


Yes, typically burning at 18X and verifying at 4X.

> Three video discs copied from the internal drive to HDD had
> severe drop outs when played. The same discs, when read from
> the external NEC 3550 had none. These discs had been recorded
> months earlier on the replaced PC. I now only restore video
> from and record video to the NEC drive.
>
> I've recently added a USB2 hub (7:1), after which I was able to
> add my HP 840C DeskJet. While this works properly most times,
> the printer is sometimes not recognized (similar to the 3550)
> until a second power down, power up. It is seldom initiated
> from the power down state by Word - which it never failed to do
> on the 2gp4 nor the laptop.
>
> I've loaded the DELL support app, run check now, and the first
> thing it tells me is that a system check point has not been
> taken for more that 30 days. Opening the system restore
> manager, I find that a restore point exists for every day but
> one of the past 15 days. Needless to say, I find no reason to
> run, nor rely on, this DELL program.
>
> The 2gp4-512 I replaced with this DELL unit was purchased in
> 2000 and has been powered down but 4 times in the six years for
> hardware mods, and rebooted only when installing new software.
> The DELL DIMC521 has to be rebooted several times a day just to
> recover form the above issues.
>
> I've delayed writing to DELL because it's not crystal clear
> wherein the faults lie. However, since all these apps run
> without incident on other PCs, I can only conclude it is this PC
> creating the situation.
>
> Note to the OP: This is not my first DELL, though first in a
> while, and I've bought several non-AMD DELLs for others which
> have run fine. I also have a Toshiba P35 laptop, which is the
> Intel 3.2 GHz mobility version of the AMD dual core chip. Only
> this AMD system exhibits problems with the same apps running on
> Intel systems. Still, I can not pin point the source of these
> problems and am reluctant to point more than one finger in that
> direction.
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill's News
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2006
Anthony Marsh wrote:
> Bill's News wrote:

<snip>

>> Interestingly all discs burn faster than they verify?
>>

>
> Yes, typically burning at 18X and verifying at 4X.
>

<snip>

I mentioned this, in this preparatory note to DELL, only because
I had also mentioned using the NEC 3550 externally. The 3550
does not have any read constraint and often reads at 14 to 16x.
The built in drive burns at something less than 16x but verifies
at 4x to 6x. My gibe is that DELL actually felt it necessary to
use such a drive - which will be replaced with an NEC as soon as
I iron out the rest of the issues. If the options existed, I'd
have ordered the machine with no DVD drive, no OS (I have a
day-one, purchased copy of XPHE and the SP 1 & 2 CD updates from
MS), and a firewire 800 controller. Seems a travesty to have
USB2 as the only external interface in such a relatively fast 2g
PC.

While the price was quite reasonable, I've little doubt - at the
moment - that an Intel CPU would not have given me as many
problems. AMD: not ready for prime time. DELL: well they've
let me down after at least half dozen PC purchases.

BTW, not meant to impugn the impressive performance of this
cheap machine, when it's working!



 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Caldwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-26-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (paulg7083) says...

> I have had my PC (Athlon 64 3800+ with Asus MB) for about 4 months and
> have loaded up various video editing/DVD authoring packages (Pinnacle
> Studio, Womble, Nero 7.xx, WinAVi etc) and the Storm Codec pack.


I had to uninstall Nero and reinstall all my Sonic software because the
Nero installation trashed everything, including DLA. My external video
capture system uses Sonic MyDVD, and Nero made the entire system
unusable.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conflicting Indicators about Network to which I'm connected =?Utf-8?B?c3Rhcmxpbmc=?= Wireless Networking 1 01-30-2006 12:16 PM
Conflicting uses of "ip dhcp-server" -- design flaw? kenw@kmsi.net Cisco 7 08-15-2005 05:14 PM
address violation on cisco switch - conflicting documentation?? NNTP Cisco 1 09-14-2004 08:00 PM
Re: address violation on cisco switch - conflicting documentation?? Kevin Widner Cisco 0 09-14-2004 05:51 PM
Conflicting namespaces?? Will ASP .Net 2 08-13-2003 02:42 PM



Advertisments