Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Toshiba delays launch of HD DVD in UK

Toshiba delays launch of HD DVD in UK

tekki

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just received communication from
Toshiba today of delay in UK launch of HDE1... Toshiba engineers identified
a component issue, and although relatively minor this could have affected
playback of certain hd dvd titles. The players will not be available now
until late Dec.
for full story see dvdlibrary uk website!

manitou

tekki wrote:

> sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just received communication from
> Toshiba today of delay in UK launch of HDE1... Toshiba engineers identified
> a component issue, and although relatively minor this could have affected
> playback of certain hd dvd titles. The players will not be available now
> until late Dec.
> for full story see dvdlibrary uk website!

Will HD-DVD in Europe be 50hz with PAL-like speedup for movies, or will
the releases be identical to their 60hz US/Canada counterparts?

CPJ

Jukka Aho

manitou wrote:

> Will HD-DVD in Europe be 50hz with PAL-like speedup for movies, or
> will the releases be identical to their 60hz US/Canada counterparts?

At least most of the HD panels sold in Europe today have the EICTA "HD
Ready" logo [1]. One of the requirements for getting to use that logo is
that the panel must be able to display both 50 Hz and 60 Hz (59.94 Hz)
signals.

_____

[1] <http://www.eicta.org/cms/site/showdoc.asp?id=672> (p. 10 and 11)

--
znark

manitou

Jukka Aho wrote:
> manitou wrote:
>
> > Will HD-DVD in Europe be 50hz with PAL-like speedup for movies, or
> > will the releases be identical to their 60hz US/Canada counterparts?

> At least most of the HD panels sold in Europe today have the EICTA "HD
> Ready" logo [1]. One of the requirements for getting to use that logo is
> that the panel must be able to display both 50 Hz and 60 Hz (59.94 Hz)
> signals.
>
> _____
>
> [1] <http://www.eicta.org/cms/site/showdoc.asp?id=672> (p. 10 and 11)
>
> --
> znark

Thanks.

CPJ

Joshua Zyber

"manitou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just received communication
>> from
>> Toshiba today of delay in UK launch of HDE1... Toshiba engineers
>> identified
>> a component issue, and although relatively minor this could have
>> affected
>> playback of certain hd dvd titles. The players will not be available
>> now
>> until late Dec.
>> for full story see dvdlibrary uk website!

> Will HD-DVD in Europe be 50hz with PAL-like speedup for movies, or
> will
> the releases be identical to their 60hz US/Canada counterparts?

The content on the discs will be encoded in 1080p/24 format, exactly the
same as the US releases. It's up to the player to determine whether to
convert that to 60hz or 50hz for output.

manitou

Joshua Zyber wrote:

> The content on the discs will be encoded in 1080p/24 format, exactly the
> same as the US releases. It's up to the player to determine whether to
> convert that to 60hz or 50hz for output.

Would this not mean that Euro discs will require a double soundtrack:
ie, a speeded-up, pitch-corrected second track to match the 50hz
speedup?

Or will Euro players have built-in audio speedup and pitch correction
chips?

CPJ

Joshua Zyber

"manitou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> The content on the discs will be encoded in 1080p/24 format, exactly
>> the
>> same as the US releases. It's up to the player to determine whether
>> convert that to 60hz or 50hz for output.

> Would this not mean that Euro discs will require a double soundtrack:
> ie, a speeded-up, pitch-corrected second track to match the 50hz
> speedup?
>
> Or will Euro players have built-in audio speedup and pitch correction
> chips?

There will only be one soundtrack on the disc (aside from the various
language dubs). I doubt pitch-correction will be a feature of the
players. Since all European HDTVs are required to be compatible with
60hz input, I expect that the players will default to that.

JoeBloe

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:40:26 -0500, "Joshua Zyber"
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>"manitou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> The content on the discs will be encoded in 1080p/24 format, exactly
>>> the
>>> same as the US releases. It's up to the player to determine whether
>>> convert that to 60hz or 50hz for output.

>> Would this not mean that Euro discs will require a double soundtrack:
>> ie, a speeded-up, pitch-corrected second track to match the 50hz
>> speedup?
>>
>> Or will Euro players have built-in audio speedup and pitch correction
>> chips?

>There will only be one soundtrack on the disc (aside from the various
>language dubs). I doubt pitch-correction will be a feature of the
>players. Since all European HDTVs are required to be compatible with
>60hz input, I expect that the players will default to that.

Damn! Do you mean that they will actually be forced to watch it
correctly?!!! Heheheheheehe!

manitou

Joshua Zyber quoted/wrote:

> > Or will Euro players have built-in audio speedup and pitch correction
> > chips?

> There will only be one soundtrack on the disc (aside from the various
> language dubs). I doubt pitch-correction will be a feature of the
> players. Since all European HDTVs are required to be compatible with
> 60hz input, I expect that the players will default to that.

Whew......

I can retire to Lake Como after all.

CPJ