Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How are people making HD AVIs from BBC HD Chanels?

Reply
Thread Tools

How are people making HD AVIs from BBC HD Chanels?

 
 
Mikey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2006
Keep seeing HD AVI files that have been recorded from BBC HD.

How is this done? As far as I know you can only get the chanels from SKY HD
at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.

Thanks

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2006
The files are captured either with a DVD recorder or a video capture
card (the Nebula brand seems popular in the UK). The computer data
files or DVDR are usually encoded into the XviD format by using AutoGK,
freeware software. That is just my impression from the nfo information
that uploaders provide with their bittorrents at the UKNova site.

Mikey wrote:
> Keep seeing HD AVI files that have been recorded from BBC HD.
>
> How is this done? As far as I know you can only get the chanels from SKY HD
> at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mikey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2006
Thanks for the reply, But am still wondering how they encode the DVD at a
stupidly high resolution 900x500 odd in DD 5.1 sound.

Of course I can only watch that quality on the PC at the moment, but when I
do encode it to DVD, the 5.1 sound is still there.

Thanks Again

Mikey



"Mikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bV85h.10085$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Keep seeing HD AVI files that have been recorded from BBC HD.
>
> How is this done? As far as I know you can only get the chanels from SKY
> HD at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
ThePunisher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2006
Mikey wrote:
> Keep seeing HD AVI files that have been recorded from BBC HD.
>
> How is this done? As far as I know you can only get the chanels from
> SKY HD at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike


You don't need the SKY box to get then, and gerry's reply is wrong.

--
ThePunisher
Latitude: 54.67N
Longitude: 5.96W


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mikey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2006
If you don't need a Sky box to get BBC HD, how are they doing it?

I have seen episodes of Torchwood on torrent sites that are in HD with 5.1
sound.

How are they transfered to AVI at such a high resolution, and from what
source?

Thanks

Mikey





"ThePunisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g676h.25648$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mikey wrote:
>> Keep seeing HD AVI files that have been recorded from BBC HD.
>>
>> How is this done? As far as I know you can only get the chanels from
>> SKY HD at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike

>
> You don't need the SKY box to get then, and gerry's reply is wrong.
>
> --
> ThePunisher
> Latitude: 54.67N
> Longitude: 5.96W
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka Aho
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2006
Mikey wrote:

> If you don't need a Sky box to get BBC HD, how are they doing it?


I don't know anything about the subject, but I'll take a stab at it,
anyway:

BBC's own web site mentions that BBC HD is an experimental free-to-air
HD service which is available via satellite or cable:

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/tv/tv_hd.shtml>

For receiving and recording BBC HD broadcasts on cable, you buy a DVB-C
tuner/demodulator card for your computer. For receiving and recording
BBC HD broadcasts from a satellite, you buy a DVB-S tuner/demodulator
card (or possibly a DVB-S2 tuner/demodulator card), instead. The data
you record is MPEG-2 transport stream, or possibly H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. I
don't think there's any more magic to it, but if there is someone will
surely correct me.

See

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-C>
<http://www.dvb.org/>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=dvb-c+card>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=dvb-s+card>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264>

--
znark

 
Reply With Quote
 
gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2006
And, Mr ThePunisher, what is the right answer? I will post it on
UKNova's site, to let all the uploaders there know that they are doing
everything wrong.

ThePunisher wrote:
> Mikey wrote:
> > Keep seeing HD AVI files that have been recorded from BBC HD.
> >
> > How is this done? As far as I know you can only get the chanels from
> > SKY HD at the moment. How do they get the data off the Hard Drive.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mike

>
> You don't need the SKY box to get then, and gerry's reply is wrong.
>
> --
> ThePunisher
> Latitude: 54.67N
> Longitude: 5.96W


 
Reply With Quote
 
gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-14-2006
Below is a description of the Nebula PCI card. With an outside antenna
it can record free terrestial HD broadcasts on to a computer with
enough CPU speed and hard drive space.
---
Nebula Electronics DigiTV PCI is a high-performance, highly integrated
Digital Television entertainment system that allows you to watch and
record free-to-air Digital Terrestrial Television on your desktop or
laptop computer.

The Nebula DigiTV interface is designed to look and feel like a
Set-Top-Box so that all options, menu items and information are
displayed in video overlays scaled to the size of the viewing window.
This means that you can watch Digital TV in full-screen mode at a
distance with a remote control and not have to get up to use the
keyboard or read programme descriptions. It also means that the
on-screen menus are simplicity itself to navigate. There is even an
option to shut-down your PC using the remote!

Digital Television Recording
With the Nebula DigiTV package, you get an Integrated Digital Video
Recorder that lets you record programmes using either a timer, or
simply by clicking the programme in the 7-Day Electronic Programme
Guide (EPG). All video recordings are made to a user-selectable
directory on your hard disk, and are categorised by programme name. The
recordings are made in MPEG2 format so that you can play them back at
the same quality as the original. If you want to record all programmes
on a channel, just hit the 'Record' button and DigiTV will split each
of the recorded programmes into its own file.

Jukka Aho wrote:
> Mikey wrote:
>
> > If you don't need a Sky box to get BBC HD, how are they doing it?

>
> I don't know anything about the subject, but I'll take a stab at it,
> anyway:
>
> BBC's own web site mentions that BBC HD is an experimental free-to-air
> HD service which is available via satellite or cable:
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/digital/tv/tv_hd.shtml>
>
> For receiving and recording BBC HD broadcasts on cable, you buy a DVB-C
> tuner/demodulator card for your computer. For receiving and recording
> BBC HD broadcasts from a satellite, you buy a DVB-S tuner/demodulator
> card (or possibly a DVB-S2 tuner/demodulator card), instead. The data
> you record is MPEG-2 transport stream, or possibly H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. I
> don't think there's any more magic to it, but if there is someone will
> surely correct me.
>
> See
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-S>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-C>
> <http://www.dvb.org/>
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=dvb-c+card>
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=dvb-s+card>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264>
>
> --
> znark


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Windows Media Player no longer plays AVIs EP Computer Support 2 08-14-2005 10:29 PM
IRFANVIEW: How do you get thumnailview for AVIs movie lbbss Computer Support 14 04-27-2005 06:03 PM
what do i have to do to view mepegs or avis in newsgroups all i get is a bunch of synbols Ron & Peg Computer Support 5 12-28-2004 11:06 AM
Help with playing .AVIs with win media player 9 -- still can't find a proper codec..... anyuser Computer Support 2 11-19-2003 11:05 PM



Advertisments