Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Binding serial + WAN connection.

Binding serial + WAN connection.

AM

Hi there,

does anyone know whether (and how) is possible for a serial and ethernet link to interoperate together?
The first has a bandwidth of 512 kbits/sec while the second is connected to a wireless connection with a bandwidth of
4Mbits/sec.

Or it is better to use the 4Mbits/sec connection as main one and the 512 as backup?
I would use a 3620 with highest upgrade available from Cisco's site.

Thanks,
Alex.

Walter Roberson

In article <SHEke.24201$(E-Mail Removed)>, AM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:does anyone know whether (and how) is possible for a serial and ethernet link to interoperate together?
:The first has a bandwidth of 512 kbits/sec while the second is connected to a wireless connection with a bandwidth of
:4Mbits/sec.

You can't etherchannel them together, but you can use ppp multilink.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...rt9/dcdppp.htm

:Or it is better to use the 4Mbits/sec connection as main one and the 512 as backup?

They have different characteristics. The 4 Mb/s wireless link would
be half duplex, so if you can afford to keep both links going
then you'd sort of link to have the return ACKs come back over
the serial link. [Unless, that is, the bulk of the traffic is
coming from the other side, in which case you want the ACKs from your
side to go -out- the serial link.]

Binding ports together doesn't often get quite the results one might
hope for -- it isn't as simple as "half the traffic" (or a proportional
part) will go on each link.

Re: Dual WAN on a 2651, NAT inside, opening one port on the seconday WAN Martin Gallagher Cisco 0 11-27-2012 09:27 AM
PIX 501 - 2 WAN Connections, how to route certain IPs to the 2nd WAN Casper Cisco 1 08-17-2007 08:17 PM
Ethernet WAN and not WAN. AM Cisco 1 05-23-2005 11:45 PM
Need to securely connect workstations on another WAN to my WAN kev Cisco 4 11-17-2003 01:55 AM

Advertisments