Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > do freeware DVD players contain spyware?

do freeware DVD players contain spyware?

wylbur37

There's been concern that some freeware DVD players contain spyware.

Has anyone found actual examples of this?

What are some of the names of such programs?

And how would you be able to tell that it contains spyware?

Bob Adkins

On 8 Nov 2006 05:42:17 -0800, "wylbur37" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>There's been concern that some freeware DVD players contain spyware.
>
>Has anyone found actual examples of this?
>
>What are some of the names of such programs?
>
>And how would you be able to tell that it contains spyware?

The only one I can think of right off hand is "Brun4Free". But it
warns you right up front.

No need to consider a burner that has spybots. There are a couple of
good ones that are clean. Look them up on Softpedia.com, where all
their software offerings are clean.
-

Bob

prophet

wylbur37 wrote:

> There's been concern that some freeware DVD players contain spyware.
>
> Has anyone found actual examples of this?
>
> What are some of the names of such programs?
>
> And how would you be able to tell that it contains spyware?

I don't know any examples off hand, but if someone is looking for a
freeware (well, open source to be specific) DVD player, one might want
to take a look at VideoLan (VLC media player). It plays DVD's out of the
box, no need for any external codecs to be installed.

kurdi

GOM Player is a great freeware DVD player, no spyware/malware of any
sort, resident codecs.

Here's the developer's site:
http://www.gomplayer.com/main.html

Review on my freeware blog:
http://freewaregenius.com/2006/09/17/gom-player-2/

--
Visit my freeware blog: www.freewaregenius.com

ng_reader

"kurdi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> GOM Player is a great freeware DVD player, no spyware/malware of any
> sort, resident codecs.
>
> Here's the developer's site:
> http://www.gomplayer.com/main.html
>
> Review on my freeware blog:
> http://freewaregenius.com/2006/09/17/gom-player-2/
>

> --
> Visit my freeware blog: www.freewaregenius.com

I thought, well at least here in the US, that every PC based DVD player had
to pay a royalty somewhere, thus making them impossible to be free?