Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Why some VHS tapes won't copy to DVD?

Why some VHS tapes won't copy to DVD?

Ralph

I have gotten a new Sony DVD player/recorder and am attempting to transfer
all my old VHS movies onto DVD with it. But some won't copy. I get a
message that the picture isn't recordable (or something like that) and then
nothing happens. The DVD just fills up with blank screen. Wastes the
whole DVD.

Maybe this isn't the best way to archive my movies and change formats but
it's the only way I know how at this point.

So why do some VHS tapes transfer over to DVD just fine, and others won't?

With some of my home movies, transferring from either VHS or DV tape I will
occasionally get the warning that the picture isn't recordable but they
record anyway.

TIA, PH

AZ Nomad

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 19:32:13 GMT, Ralph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have gotten a new Sony DVD player/recorder and am attempting to transfer
>all my old VHS movies onto DVD with it. But some won't copy. I get a
>message that the picture isn't recordable (or something like that) and then
>nothing happens. The DVD just fills up with blank screen. Wastes the
>whole DVD.

>Maybe this isn't the best way to archive my movies and change formats but
>it's the only way I know how at this point.

>So why do some VHS tapes transfer over to DVD just fine, and others won't?

>With some of my home movies, transferring from either VHS or DV tape I will
>occasionally get the warning that the picture isn't recordable but they
>record anyway.

google for "VHS copy protection" and "macrovision"

Ralph

Just looked at the resources you cited. Looks like I'll just have to buy
the DVD version of some of my movies. I'm only talking about a handful
anyway.

Thanks for the info.

AZ Nomad

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:57:00 GMT, Ralph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just looked at the resources you cited. Looks like I'll just have to buy
>the DVD version of some of my movies. I'm only talking about a handful
>anyway.

Silly you. You only need to remove the macrovision. I had a a sima color
corector for copying DVD to VHS and it should do the trick for you. I
don't copy DVDs any more as all my TVs have DVD players. Wanna buy the damn
thing for $30?

Mini-me

Ralph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
1b54h.3416$(E-Mail Removed) et,

> I have gotten a new Sony DVD player/recorder and am attempting to
> transfer all my old VHS movies onto DVD with it. But some won't
> copy. I get a message that the picture isn't recordable (or
> something like that) and then nothing happens. The DVD just fills
> up with blank screen. Wastes the whole DVD.
>
> Maybe this isn't the best way to archive my movies and change formats
> but it's the only way I know how at this point.
>
> So why do some VHS tapes transfer over to DVD just fine, and others
> won't?
>
> With some of my home movies, transferring from either VHS or DV tape
> I will occasionally get the warning that the picture isn't recordable
> but they record anyway.
>
> TIA, PH

There may be a hack for your recorder that'll remove Macrovision. Check
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

--
DVDs for sale:
Banned Cartoons Collection, http://banned-cartoons.com

Bill Vermillion

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
AZ Nomad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:57:00 GMT, Ralph <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Just looked at the resources you cited. Looks like I'll just have to buy
>>the DVD version of some of my movies. I'm only talking about a handful
>>anyway.

>Silly you. You only need to remove the macrovision. I had a a
>sima color corector for copying DVD to VHS and it should do the
>trick for you. I don't copy DVDs any more as all my TVs have DVD
>players. Wanna buy the damn thing for $30?

I have a Sima Pro-Series SCC-2 - and the cheapest you can find one
of those is about $150.

What is really nice about this - and I have almost no pre-recorded
tapes at all but hundreds that I recorded off-the-air over the
years - is that it has several picutre adjustments including
brighness, contrast, color and sharpness. It's really nice if
you have a lot to transfer. And it will also remove Macrovision.

I've actually bought more pre-recorded tapes since I've had my DVD
player as there are many things that have never been released on
DVD and probably never will. I find those somewhat hard-to-find
things in the vendor shops as Amazon and other places.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com