Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How Can They Sell DVD Players For $30

How Can They Sell DVD Players For $30

traffik33

I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

OK its a low-end player, but stil plays and produces an
excellent picture. Unbelievable.

--
"Well Good Grief.....What is wrong with these eBay sellers?

Yahoo is free. No listing fees. No final value fees. Yahoo has a bulk
loader.
Your listings actually show up in the search. Your listings also show
up in
Yahoo's shopping search. Yahoo has more traffic than eBay stores.

But eBay sellers want to pay $15.95 month store fees. 5 cent listing
fees.
10% final value fees. And for all these fees eBay buries their store
items
on the back end of eBay and they don't even show up in the search.

Sellers could have it all and not even a small percentage of eBay's
store sellers
can grasp the concept of listing and selling for free on Yahoo and
keeping all their profits."

----------
"Sellers could have it all, and with so many working so hard to make
minimum
wage on eBay, they don't even get it. As simple as taking a day to move
their listings
to Yahoo and eBay would be slashing their fees and bending over
backwards
trying to get them back. All that potential. What a waste. "

--------------
It's somewhat rare for the typical eBay seller to actually DO
something.
You are in a small minority.

I realize in many cases, sellers have immediate financial needs, but
judging from the completed auctions I seriously doubt the majority
of sellers a making more than minimum wage for their time (at best).

Reading the pathetic pleading on eBays message boards I wonder
if any of these people are even capable of understanding what
an incredible event it would be if they simply turned their backs
on eBay and moved their listings to Yahoo.

At this point it should be a "no brainer" and is well within their
reach.
It would send eBay reeling. And improve the situation for online
sellers
for years to come.

Instead of meek lambs, struggling for their survivial on eBay,
sellers would be saying, "YES, WE DID THAT".

Neck & Red

"traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
> How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
> and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?
>
> OK its a low-end player, but stil plays and produces an
> excellent picture. Unbelievable.

<snip stupid ****ing signature>

I don't know how they can, but you have the stupidest ****ing signature I've
ever seen. Yahoo auctions is the biggest waste on the internet. Only morons
go there.

Oldus Fartus

traffik33 wrote: reams of bullshit

Still morphing eh?

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Kimba W. Lion

"traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
>How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
>and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

Because they're made in China, where the workers get about a penny a month.
The whole player probably costs about 6 cents to make, and Wal-Mart gets
them for about a buck each.

OK, so I made up those numbers. But you get the point. If we still had
pre-Nixon trade embargoes on China, we'd be paying $425 for a low-end
player. And we'd be taking them to repairmen instead of considering them
disposable. Imagine that.

traffik33

Neck & Red wrote:
> "traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
> > How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
> > and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?
> >
> > OK its a low-end player, but stil plays and produces an
> > excellent picture. Unbelievable.

> <snip stupid ****ing signature>
>
> I don't know how they can, but you have the stupidest ****ing signature I've
> ever seen. Yahoo auctions is the biggest waste on the internet. Only morons
> go there.

Yawn.........Let us know when you have a response which indicates you
are not
still in your teens and have some understanding of online sales.

If you believe listing on eBay for whatever money they ALLOW you to
keep
is your best option, you are too fu#king stupid to worry about.

traffik33

Kimba W. Lion wrote:
> "traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
> >How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
> >and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

> Because they're made in China, where the workers get about a penny a month.
> The whole player probably costs about 6 cents to make, and Wal-Mart gets
> them for about a buck each.
>
> OK, so I made up those numbers. But you get the point. If we still had
> pre-Nixon trade embargoes on China, we'd be paying $425 for a low-end
> player. And we'd be taking them to repairmen instead of considering them
> disposable. Imagine that.

Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
manufacture
the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.

I'm not complaining. I've purchased atleast a dozen VCRs during my
lifetime at a total cost of $4,000 to $5,000. DVD players at $30 will
be a
nice break. Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
price
you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

Aaron J. Bossig

"traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
> manufacture
> the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.
>
> I'm not complaining. I've purchased atleast a dozen VCRs during my
> lifetime at a total cost of $4,000 to $5,000. DVD players at $30 will
> be a
> nice break. Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
> price
> you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

Get those $30 players, and you will indeed be buying them by the
dozen. I've had to work with a few, and they were all notoriously
unreliable. Be warned.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com

traffik33

Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
> "traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>
> > Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
> > manufacture
> > the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.
> >
> > I'm not complaining. I've purchased atleast a dozen VCRs during my
> > lifetime at a total cost of $4,000 to $5,000. DVD players at $30 will
> > be a
> > nice break. Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
> > price
> > you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

> Get those $30 players, and you will indeed be buying them by the
> dozen. I've had to work with a few, and they were all notoriously
> unreliable. Be warned.
>

> --
>
> Aaron J. Bossig
>
> http://www.GodsLabRat.com
> http://www.dvdverdict.com

I'm sure it's not the norm, but it seems like the more I pay for a DVD
player
the faster it beaks and quits working.

My first two players were $300 and $200 and both lasted less than a
year each.
My last player was a $65 APEX and lasted for 3+ years with very heavy
usage.

Wal-Mart has a generous return policy. Any problems during the first 90
days
and you can exchange for a new unit or complete refund.

If I can get one year out of each $30 DVD player it will be 1/10th the
price
I was paying for VCRs.

Citizen Bob

On 2 Nov 2006 15:29:56 -0800, "traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just bought a Manavox DVD player for $29.98 at Wal-Mart.
>How can they manufacturer parts, assemble, ship/distribute,
>and sell these players for $29.98 and make a profit?

Very cheap parts and very cheap labor.

IOW, poor quality parts that have been rejected by other manufacturers
and ChiCom prison labor.

--

"First and last, it's a question of money. Those men who own the earth
make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or

Citizen Bob

On 2 Nov 2006 20:16:18 -0800, "traffik33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Even assuming free labor, its still hard to believe they can
>manufacture the parts, assemble into a complete player and make a profit at $30.

Economy of scale kicks in when you make a minimum production run of
10,000 units. I used to work at an electronics manufacturer as a
product developer and I know how cheap you can get electronic parts in
large volumes. What costs you $1 in a package at RackShack can be
purchased for a penny in quantity 10,000.

>Still hard to believe you can buy a player for the same
>price you spend on 2 or 3 DVDs.

You are not aware of the incredible markups that occur from parts
costs and burdened labor costs.

We sold an RTU for SCADA systems for $5,000 in one lot, and it costs
us less than $700 to make it, including the burden (overhead charge).
Parts and labor without burden were about $500. So your $30 player
cost maybe $3 to make.