Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blockbuster New Website

Blockbuster New Website

Steve Harclerode

I've been using Blockbuster.com to rent 3 DVD's for over a year now. It
looks like they just rolled out a new web site.

It says beta.blockbuster.com, which is a bit strange since this is now the
default web site. It works well enough when using IE, but I like to use
Firefox. Unfortunately, with Firefox it has now become unusable.

My queue has 400+ movies in it, and when I load it in IE it takes about
10-15 seconds. When I try the same with Firefox, it takes more than 10
minutes. I killed the process rather than continue to wait. I have tested
this on my home computer, and on my PC at work - which has 2 GB.

The drag and drop feature is kind of neat, but I would never actually use
it...I always add movies to the end of the queue, and I don't see any way to
do that without clicking the Add button.

My verdict? I would rather use the old site.

I guess this post is part review, with a little complaining thrown in.
Caveat emptor.

- Steve

Alan Smithee

"Steve Harclerode" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lof1h.2028$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been using Blockbuster.com to rent 3 DVD's for over a year now. It
> looks like they just rolled out a new web site.
>
> It says beta.blockbuster.com, which is a bit strange since this is now the
> default web site. It works well enough when using IE, but I like to use
> Firefox. Unfortunately, with Firefox it has now become unusable.
>
> My verdict? I would rather use the old site.

Then use it. I was able to get the old version using Firefox by typing in
www.blockbuster.com in the field.

--
Alan Smithee

Steve Harclerode

Yes, I was able to get to the "old" site again at on the day that you
posted. Unfortunately, now it seems to be unavailable again...
- Steve

"Alan Smithee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1VA2h.21436$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Then use it. I was able to get the old version using Firefox by typing in
> www.blockbuster.com in the field.
>

> --
> Alan Smithee

jistaguy@excite.com

I'm in total agreement with you. The new website SUX big time if you
have more than a hand-full of movies in your queue. I have tried it on
over six computers, some having 6GB memory and dual ZEON processors.
It is definitely a fault in the website design. I have sent them about
a dozen complaints to which they send canned form letter replies back.
I've complained in the stores as well. It might be tolerable if
someone at Bolckbuster would reply with, "Yes, we are working on the
problem. Be patient." But they reply more as if to say the problem is
Mine.
Do they really not have a clue? Are the software guys maybe testing
with 5 or 6 movies in the Queue?
Try this.. Click on your task manager. Switch to Processes & watch the
processor time get SWALLOWED by Internet explorer while it "attempts"
to do a resort.

Another one of my peeves is that you can no longer put a new release on
top of the Queue until it is already on the shelves in the store. This
makes it another day to get your movie.

Blockbuster really has (had) a chance to steal back some competition
with their new Total Access program, allowing you to use the return
envelope as a coupon. But with the website sucking as bad as it does,
they are more apt to lose customers.

Steve Harclerode wrote:
> I've been using Blockbuster.com to rent 3 DVD's for over a year now. It
> looks like they just rolled out a new web site.
>
> It says beta.blockbuster.com, which is a bit strange since this is now the
> default web site. It works well enough when using IE, but I like to use
> Firefox. Unfortunately, with Firefox it has now become unusable.
>
> My queue has 400+ movies in it, and when I load it in IE it takes about
> 10-15 seconds. When I try the same with Firefox, it takes more than 10
> minutes. I killed the process rather than continue to wait. I have tested
> this on my home computer, and on my PC at work - which has 2 GB.
>
> The drag and drop feature is kind of neat, but I would never actually use
> it...I always add movies to the end of the queue, and I don't see any way to
> do that without clicking the Add button.
>
> My verdict? I would rather use the old site.
>
> I guess this post is part review, with a little complaining thrown in.
> Caveat emptor.
>
> - Steve

Citizen Bob

On 13 Nov 2006 09:17:55 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm in total agreement with you. The new website SUX big time if you
>have more than a hand-full of movies in your queue. I have tried it on
>over six computers, some having 6GB memory and dual ZEON processors.
>It is definitely a fault in the website design.

BB has never been able to do web design properly. From its earliest
days it has been an abomination.

Someone in the executive office has a nephew who builds their websites
and he has the mentality of a warm kumquat.

--

If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in
the Iraq theatre of operations during the last 22 months, and a total

jistaguy@gmail.com

Citizen Bob wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2006 09:17:55 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >I'm in total agreement with you. The new website SUX big time if you
> >have more than a hand-full of movies in your queue. I have tried it on
> >over six computers, some having 6GB memory and dual ZEON processors.
> >It is definitely a fault in the website design.

> BB has never been able to do web design properly. From its earliest
> days it has been an abomination.
>
> Someone in the executive office has a nephew who builds their websites
> and he has the mentality of a warm kumquat.
>

> --
>
> If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in
> the Iraq theatre of operations during the last 22 months, and a total
> of 2,112 deaths, that gives a monthly firearm death rate of 60 per
> 100,000 soldiers. The monthly firearm death rate in Washington D.C.
> is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period. That means that you are
> more likely to be shot and killed in the U.S. Capitol, which has the
> strictest gun control laws in the nation, than you are in Iraq.

Here's a good one! BlockBuster suggests NOT using Firefox Browser.
But try doing a Print Preview of your Queue with either MS Internet
Explorer version 6 (winXP) or even the new version 7 (Vista). You get
so many Script errors that you have to "End the application" to get
out. On my system, it at least will preview using Firefox.
Boy, if THAT doesn't tell them that they have a problem.....

BTW C.B. Like the signature quote. Gotta love statistics!

Steve Harclerode

Well, I'm going to stick with Blockbuster for now, because even though the
new website isn't my favorite, my overall results with them are better than
the "other guys".

I discovered a new thing to complain about when I went to delete several
items from my queue. You click the trash button, wait for the entire queue
to reload slowly, click another trash button, and repeat until they're all
done. On the old web site, you could delete any number of items by clicking
the box next to them, and then hitting Update once to reload.

It's amazing to think that no one from Blockbuster will pay attention to
these posts, but oh well.

To end on something positive: I have an extraordinarily short turnaround
time, and have gotten as many as 18 DVD's in a month (I live in the same
town as the shipping center). And I find it easier to get new movies than I
did with Netflix.

- Steve

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Here's a good one! BlockBuster suggests NOT using Firefox Browser.
> But try doing a Print Preview of your Queue with either MS Internet
> Explorer version 6 (winXP) or even the new version 7 (Vista). You get
> so many Script errors that you have to "End the application" to get
> out. On my system, it at least will preview using Firefox.
> Boy, if THAT doesn't tell them that they have a problem.....
>
> BTW C.B. Like the signature quote. Gotta love statistics!

Citizen Bob

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:41:47 -0800, "Steve Harclerode"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's amazing to think that no one from Blockbuster will pay attention to
>these posts, but oh well.

That's because the entire company is filled with total idiots. It's
always been that way, from the very beginning.

Now you know why incest and beastiality are prohibited.

--

Steve Harclerode wrote:
> Well, I'm going to stick with Blockbuster for now, because even though the
> new website isn't my favorite, my overall results with them are better than
> the "other guys".
>
> - Steve

Yes, I'm sure I'm sticking with them as well. Like a parent at a
competition, (or in BB's case, the special olympics) I'm hopeful.

What I find odd (typical) is they say they only test it with MS
Internet Explorer.
If my car maker told me I should only drive on the interstates, I'd
sell it!