Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to get the best picture out of regular DVDs?

How to get the best picture out of regular DVDs?

Bob D.

I just moved up to a 50' LCD HDTV. I have a huge investment in REGULAR
DVDs. My current DVD player is a three year old Panasonic DVDr. It is
connected to my new HD TV via component YPbPr. Would I be gaining anything
by getting a player with HDMI?

Which HDMI DVD/DVDr players would provide the best picture?

BTW, I want to avoid the dreaded 'lip sync' problem I've heard about. I have
a plain-Jane stereo amplifier connected to the analog L/R outputs of my TV.
There is no 'lip sync' delay adjustment on my system.

--
Bob D.

Citizen Bob

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:40:29 -0500, "Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Which HDMI DVD/DVDr players would provide the best picture?

Philips DVP5960. My son just got one at Circuit City. The current
price is $70.

He has a 62" DLP TV and the Philips plays DVDs and AVI XviDs with
exceptional picture quality thru a component connection. He is getting
an HDMI cable which should add some enhancement.

We used the flash disk on the USB and it worked perfectly. He is also
getting an external disk enclosure (3.5" SATA) with external power
supply so he can mount his extensive collection of AVIs.

Here are some forums to read.

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=philips+5960
http://www.hdtvlounge.net/hd-dvd/philips-dvp596037/

--

"Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

skip

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Citizen Bob) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:40:29 -0500, "Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Which HDMI DVD/DVDr players would provide the best picture?

> Philips DVP5960. My son just got one at Circuit City. The current
> price is $70.
>
> He has a 62" DLP TV and the Philips plays DVDs and AVI XviDs with
> exceptional picture quality thru a component connection. He is getting
> an HDMI cable which should add some enhancement.
>
> We used the flash disk on the USB and it worked perfectly. He is also
> getting an external disk enclosure (3.5" SATA) with external power
> supply so he can mount his extensive collection of AVIs.
>
> Here are some forums to read.
>
> http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=philip
> s+5960 http://www.hdtvlounge.net/hd-dvd/philips-dvp596037/

the best dvd player bar none is the oppo. Please google it and see that is
number one. It can only be purchased from the company. You must have a hdmi
connection for it tho. there simply is npo better player.
Also not discussions on the AVI forum

Stan

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

snip

> BTW, I want to avoid the dreaded 'lip sync' problem I've heard about.
> I have a plain-Jane stereo amplifier connected to the analog L/R
> outputs of my TV. There is no 'lip sync' delay adjustment on my
> system.

See http://www.lipfix.com/lip_sync_error_.html for a device that will cure
this. (I saw this problem immediately on my 42" Panasonic plasma on an
occasional over-the-air broadcast). I bought the Felston DD540 from Lipfix
and can confirm that it does fix this issue. (Call Nick at the number
listed on the webpage and see if he has a customer return available; I
saved $50 this way.)

Karl S

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:25:29 GMT, skip wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Citizen Bob) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:40:29 -0500, "Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Which HDMI DVD/DVDr players would provide the best picture?

>> Philips DVP5960. My son just got one at Circuit City. The current
>> price is $70.
>>
>> He has a 62" DLP TV and the Philips plays DVDs and AVI XviDs with
>> exceptional picture quality thru a component connection. He is getting
>> an HDMI cable which should add some enhancement.
>>
>> We used the flash disk on the USB and it worked perfectly. He is also
>> getting an external disk enclosure (3.5" SATA) with external power
>> supply so he can mount his extensive collection of AVIs.
>>
>> Here are some forums to read.
>>
>> http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=301465
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=philip
>> s+5960 http://www.hdtvlounge.net/hd-dvd/philips-dvp596037/

> the best dvd player bar none is the oppo. Please google it and see that is
> number one. It can only be purchased from the company. You must have a hdmi
> connection for it tho. there simply is npo better player.
> Also not discussions on the AVI forum

Here is the URL for the Oppo:
http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

The Phillips is alos good and a bargain.

Best place for cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Joshua Zyber

"skip" <skip[@nospam.com> wrote in message
> the best dvd player bar none is the oppo. Please google it and see
> that is
> number one. It can only be purchased from the company.

You can also purchase Oppo players from Amazon.

Citizen Bob

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:42:41 -0700, Karl S <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Best place for cables:
>http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

We have Directron in Houston, only a few miles from where we live.

But MonoPrice is a lot cheaper (almost half). When you figure in state
sales tax and gasoline, shipping from MonoPrice is about the same.

--

epokopac@excite.com

> the best dvd player bar none is the oppo.

Just purchased the DV-970HD. Worth EVERY last cent! Haven't found
anything that it WON'T play.

Walter Traprock

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just moved up to a 50' LCD HDTV. I have a huge investment in REGULAR
> DVDs.

If you threw out the old TV, then you need to get a new TV, that
isn't widescreen. 1.3/1 tvs are needed for Academy ratio
programming. Widescreen TVs are inferior for full screen
material. HDTV is inferior for DVD material. Plasma/LCD is
inferior to CRT, despite their light weight compared to CRT.

The ideal is a full screen CRT TV that processes anamorphic
enhancement quality of 16x9 material. They exist, but I don't
have one nor know where to go to get one.

Mark Jones

Walter Traprock wrote:
> "Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I just moved up to a 50' LCD HDTV. I have a huge investment in
>> REGULAR DVDs.

> If you threw out the old TV, then you need to get a new TV, that
> isn't widescreen. 1.3/1 tvs are needed for Academy ratio
> programming. Widescreen TVs are inferior for full screen
> material. HDTV is inferior for DVD material. Plasma/LCD is
> inferior to CRT, despite their light weight compared to CRT.
>
> The ideal is a full screen CRT TV that processes anamorphic
> enhancement quality of 16x9 material. They exist, but I don't
> have one nor know where to go to get one.

You are an idiot. I have one of all of these except plasma
and what you just wrote couldn't be more wrong if you tried.