Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > who is winning hd dvd or blu ray

who is winning hd dvd or blu ray

skip

Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

Derek Janssen

skip wrote:

> Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

Well, there's RUMORS (unconfirmed as usual) that Apple might now be
looking to support both in their next system.

Which, like their now supporting both DVD+R and -R, might be leading
toward the same conclusion:
Y'know, where the rest of us all say "A plague on both your houses",
develop hardware that handles both, and we all forget about it, while
the two companies pretend to fight it out without us?

Derek Janssen
ejanss@comcast.,ent

Dan Luke

> who is winniing this war?

Who cares?

Tarkus

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:29:27 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

>> who is winniing this war?

> Who cares?

Obviously, the OP.

Rich

"skip" <skip[@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

HD-DVD is pounding Blu Ray ATM. Sony's only hope is PS3 buyers picking up
Blu Ray movies in droves, because the studios' patience is running out.

Phisherman

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:

>Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.

skip

Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

> I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
> lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.

Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
if it was worth it. not much software out there

Justin

skip wrote on [Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:07:32 GMT]:
> Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip <skip[@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

>> I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
>> lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.
>>

> Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
> if it was worth it. not much software out there

How would it NOT be worth it?

Derek Janssen

Justin wrote:

>>>I read stories both ways. Personally it looks like Blu Ray is in the
>>>lead, but Microsoft will try to fix that.
>>>

>>Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
>>if it was worth it. not much software out there

> How would it NOT be worth it?

And not to start the tastes-great-less-fillings again, but let's be
honest, here:
Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.
The "Whatever the heck that MP3-player format was that was going to
crush iPod" Sony.

If it's a format war, it's ALWAYS Sony's fault. Which means there's
going to be something wrong with it.

(Me, I'm holding out for HD, as soon as Warner gets a few more of their
recycled Ultra-Resolution classics out there...
Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

Derek Janssen (seriously, fiver)

Peter H. Coffin

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:20:02 -0400, Derek Janssen wrote:

>>>Thank you all I have a chance for a free hd dvd player but wanted to know
>>>if it was worth it. not much software out there

>> How would it NOT be worth it?

> And not to start the tastes-great-less-fillings again, but let's be
> honest, here:
> Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.
> The "Whatever the heck that MP3-player format was that was going to
> crush iPod" Sony.

ATRAC. And its derivatives.

> If it's a format war, it's ALWAYS Sony's fault. Which means there's
> going to be something wrong with it.
>
> (Me, I'm holding out for HD, as soon as Warner gets a few more of their
> recycled Ultra-Resolution classics out there...
> Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

The ultimate winner will be whichever format the porn industry adopts.
No matter what the medium is, or what its technological strengths are,
if you can get a lot of porn on it, it'll take off.

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding. -Justice Louis D. Brandeis