Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > who is winning hd dvd or blu ray

who is winning hd dvd or blu ray

JoeBloe

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:42:17 -0700, "Quanta" <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>"Peter H. Coffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>> And not to start the tastes-great-less-fillings again, but let's be
>>> honest, here:
>>> Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.
>>> The "Whatever the heck that MP3-player format was that was going to
>>> crush iPod" Sony.

>> ATRAC. And its derivatives.
>>
>>> If it's a format war, it's ALWAYS Sony's fault. Which means there's
>>> going to be something wrong with it.
>>>
>>> (Me, I'm holding out for HD, as soon as Warner gets a few more of their
>>> recycled Ultra-Resolution classics out there...
>>> Betting pool open on whether we see the HD WOz by year's end.)

>> The ultimate winner will be whichever format the porn industry adopts.
>> No matter what the medium is, or what its technological strengths are,
>> if you can get a lot of porn on it, it'll take off.

>Actually, the porn industry was very very slow to move to DVD.

Due to the fact that their huge equipment investment was in film
based gear. The cost of those TV grade cameras, or even the newer HD
stuff is huge and they squander their money... so there was a lag.

JoeBloe

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:10:40 +0100, $irVivor & §ireßird
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:34:58 GMT, skip wrote:
>
>> Has there been a lead yet on who is winniing this war?

>There's only losers in games like this and its us consumers IMHO

My library is growing.

My format has a 2nd generation coming out. There are even higher
definition displays coming out...

Why complain. Ride the tide... pick a spot to buy a board, and
jump in. Break a board... buy another... ride later...

life is good, dude...

JoeBloe

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:06:22 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
Gave us:

>Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

Look at the sales numbers. Ask any statistician.

Price IS a factor, and they LOST on value for that reason.
Ask any appliance store manager throughout the seventies and eighties
what they bought off the boats, and what they sold.

VHS won. AT NTSC resolution, it was fine(well almost). Laser disc
beat it, but was not recordable... didn't sell as well. DVD sure
took off though!

JoeBloe

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:36:43 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
Gave us:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, KimbaWLion wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
>>
>>>Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

>>For immediate gratificatiion, definitely. Far superior in picture and
>>first to offer HiFi sound. Which I think shows that the general public
>>just doesn't care for the finer details of picture and sound, leading to
>>both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray being a big yawn in the marketplace.
>>
>>That immediate gratification remark refers to the fact that my Betamax
>>tapes deteriorated greatly over the years, while my VHS tapes, dating back
>>26 years now, are still in fine shape. Unrelated to the current DVD scene,
>>I know, but typical of my experiences with Sony.
>>

>Well basically the economy of scale led to advances in tape formulations in
>the VHS media where as beta media went the way of the dodo bird and no money
>was put into developing formulations for a dying format.

BULLONEY!

BETA was and likely may still be in many TV studios around the
world, the predominant format being used. It isn't the home version
tape width, but Sony made plenty of money on the beta format in the
commercial market.

>Too bad too since a proper working super beta can kick most vhs ass.

Oh boy! I'm still not impressed.

Derek Janssen

JoeBloe wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:06:22 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
> Gave us:
>

>>Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

> Look at the sales numbers. Ask any statistician.
>
> Price IS a factor, and they LOST on value for that reason.
> Ask any appliance store manager throughout the seventies and eighties
> what they bought off the boats, and what they sold.
>
> VHS won. AT NTSC resolution, it was fine(well almost). Laser disc
> beat it, but was not recordable... didn't sell as well. DVD sure
> took off though!

June 1999. The day Circuit City declared defeat on DiVX.
The National Starting Pistol day for DVD.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

JoeBloe

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:50:03 -0400, Kimba W. Lion <KimbaWLion> Gave
us:

>Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Maxell became a favorite, as
>>even their standard Beta L-750 tape showed visibly less noise than
>>standard Sony or Fuji blanks did at the time, especially in the Beta III
>>mode.

>That's my problem... I bought mostly Sony tapes. Silly me.
>Although they seemed fine when new, they developed tremendous dropouts in a
>few years, and even clogged up the heads.

You guys are sick pups talking about magnetic tape storage mediums in
such a modern, high bandwidth realm. :-]

My tapes are in a box somewhere. Good riddance.

JoeBloe

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:44:28 -0400, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> Gave us:

>JoeBloe wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:06:22 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN)
>> Gave us:
>>

>>>Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

>> Look at the sales numbers. Ask any statistician.
>>
>> Price IS a factor, and they LOST on value for that reason.
>> Ask any appliance store manager throughout the seventies and eighties
>> what they bought off the boats, and what they sold.
>>
>> VHS won. AT NTSC resolution, it was fine(well almost). Laser disc
>> beat it, but was not recordable... didn't sell as well. DVD sure
>> took off though!

>June 1999. The day Circuit City declared defeat on DiVX.
>The National Starting Pistol day for DVD.

NSPD??? :-]

Derek Janssen

JoeBloe wrote:

>>>DVD sure
>>>took off though!

>>June 1999. The day Circuit City declared defeat on DiVX.
>>The National Starting Pistol day for DVD.

> NSPD??? :-]

We all curious about DVD, but as long as a rival format still existed,
we weren't touching 'em with toxic gloves.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

Alotta Fagina

You wrote:

> Blu-Ray is SONY. The Betamax Sony. The Minidisk Sony. The DVD+R Sony.

Don't forget The Memory Stick Sony.

Alotta Fagina

You wrote:

> Betamax was the better format, ask any Professional.

Better doesn't always win. In fact better seldom wins. Look at the
Billboard Hot 100 for the proof.