Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Burning a DVD

Burning a DVD

John

Hi. I have used Nero Vision Express to make a DVD.

I first create it to a hard drive folder and it leaves me with just a
VIDEO_TS folder.

I then make a blank folder called AUDIO_TS.

Then I go into Nero Burning Rom and I copy those two folders over to
burn the DVD.

However when I play back the DVD there is no Audio even though the
original Video file I encoded from had audio.

What have I done wrong?

Should I not have made a blank AUDIO_TS folder to copy over? Should I
have just burning the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD?

These are the instructions I always follow for burning a DVD after I
have encoded the files and in the past I haven't had this issue:

--

Run Nero Burning Rom.

If the Wizard starts up, please close it.

1. Select DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)

2. Click New, and then the label UDF .

3. Select Physical partition, File system UDF 1.02 and check
the box "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for
Xbox TM)"

4. Drag & drop the two folders (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS)
from the File browser (right side) to the New compilation (left side).

5. Click the Write-CD dialogue button.

--

Thanks very much for any help you can offer on this.

John

Mikey

When you create a DVD with nero, select DVD VIDEO option.

Drag all the files from within YOUR VIDEO_TS folder into the one Nero
creates.

Thats it. AUDIO_TS does not need to be touched.

Then click on burn.

Mikey

John

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:19:22 GMT, "Mikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When you create a DVD with nero, select DVD VIDEO option.
>
>Drag all the files from within YOUR VIDEO_TS folder into the one Nero
>creates.
>
>Thats it. AUDIO_TS does not need to be touched.
>
>Then click on burn.
>
>Mikey

Hi. Yes I have just tried it this way as well and its made toast of
another dvd. It has the video but no sound.

When I go back into Nero Vision Express, open the project, and click
next until I get to the preview section when I click play in there it
plays fine with video and sound.

I have gone into Video Options and it is set as the following:

Aspect Ratio 16:9
Quality Setting: High Quality
Sample Format: Progressive
Encoding Mode: High Quality (2-Pass VBR)
Audio Format: Stereo

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas what might be the problem?

Will changing the Audio format to Automatic or Dolby Digital (AC-3)
2.0 make any difference or should this not matter?

It seems really strange that within Nero Vision Express in the preview
the sound is fine, but when I try and burn it to a DVD after writing
to a hard disk folder there is no sound.

Thanks

John

Mikey

Changing the audio format could help.

Does the DVD play on your PC once burned?

You may be able to just change the sound settings on the DVD player.

I would try the sound settings in nero first. If your trying to convert
DIVX or XVID to DVD I would highly reccomend ConvertXtoDVD. Really easy to
use, and automatic.

May be worth getting some DVD RWs so if you make a mistake you can try
again. No discs wasted. Under 50p each now.

Good luck

Mike

John

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:16:18 GMT, "Mikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Changing the audio format could help.
>
>Does the DVD play on your PC once burned?

Yes it plays no probs just no sound appears to be getting burned onto
the disc.

>You may be able to just change the sound settings on the DVD player.

I think it is definitely the disc where the sound isn't getting burned
onto for some strange reason.

>I would try the sound settings in nero first. If your trying to convert
>DIVX or XVID to DVD I would highly reccomend ConvertXtoDVD. Really easy to
>use, and automatic.

At the moment my files are in AVI format, these are the video files I
used in Nero to create the folders to burn. It plays fine within Nero
in the preview section with both sound and video.

>May be worth getting some DVD RWs so if you make a mistake you can try
>again. No discs wasted. Under 50p each now.

That's a very good point. I will have to go out and buy some. I have
only got a load of DVD-Rs at the moment.

John

Mikey

Hi John,

ConvertXtoDVD will convert almost all formats to DVD including .MOV .AVI
..XVID and even FLS recently. Plus spades loads more.

Worth downloading the demo, will last 21 days. You wont be disappointed.

If you need any help on it just ask.

Have fun.

Mike

Travis

You have to burn it to a DVD, not the HD
===========================

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I have used Nero Vision Express to make a DVD.
>
> I first create it to a hard drive folder and it leaves me with just a
> VIDEO_TS folder.
>
> I then make a blank folder called AUDIO_TS.
>
> Then I go into Nero Burning Rom and I copy those two folders over to
> burn the DVD.
>
> However when I play back the DVD there is no Audio even though the
> original Video file I encoded from had audio.
>
> What have I done wrong?
>
> Should I not have made a blank AUDIO_TS folder to copy over? Should I
> have just burning the VIDEO_TS folder to the DVD?
>
> These are the instructions I always follow for burning a DVD after I
> have encoded the files and in the past I haven't had this issue:
>
> --
>
> Run Nero Burning Rom.
>
> If the Wizard starts up, please close it.
>
> 1. Select DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)
>
> 2. Click New, and then the label UDF .
>
> 3. Select Physical partition, File system UDF 1.02 and check
> the box "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for
> Xbox TM)"
>
> 4. Drag & drop the two folders (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS)
> from the File browser (right side) to the New compilation (left side).
>
> 5. Click the Write-CD dialogue button.
>
> --
>
> Thanks very much for any help you can offer on this.
>
> John

John

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:16:28 GMT, "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You have to burn it to a DVD, not the HD
>===========================

Why? In the past I have burned to Hard Drive and then to DVD without
any problems? It gives you the option to do either.

The reason I have always preferred to burn to Hard Drive folder first
is because if anything goes wrong during the process to a blank DVD
you are more likely to toast your media.

Usually if you burn to HD first it is better because you can leave
your computer encoding it, then you can just burn it to DVD
afterwards.

If I am getting a disc without any sound after burning from the files
that were encoded to the Hard Drive folder first, why would it be any
different burning directly to DVD? I would still have the same
problem, a DVD disc without any sound.

It must be something else that is wrong that I need to do. I am going
to have to buy some blank DVD-RWs to test on because I'm not prepared
to waste any more blanks. Unless of course someone can tell me for
definite what the issue might be?

John

John

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:45:20 GMT, "Mikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>ConvertXtoDVD will convert almost all formats to DVD including .MOV .AVI
>.XVID and even FLS recently. Plus spades loads more.
>
>Worth downloading the demo, will last 21 days. You wont be disappointed.

I don't really need another program to do this. The program I have
will already convert to any format without any problems.

I just need to know why I am not getting any sound when burning to DVD
disc. There must be something I am doing wrong.

John

AZ Nomad

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:12:00 +0100, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:45:20 GMT, "Mikey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Hi John,
>>
>>ConvertXtoDVD will convert almost all formats to DVD including .MOV .AVI
>>.XVID and even FLS recently. Plus spades loads more.
>>
>>Worth downloading the demo, will last 21 days. You wont be disappointed.

>I don't really need another program to do this. The program I have
>will already convert to any format without any problems.

>I just need to know why I am not getting any sound when burning to DVD
>disc. There must be something I am doing wrong.

Can you play other DVDs with sound?
Have you tried those disks on a home/consumer dvd player?

audio is internal to the mpeg2 video files; it shouldn't be possible for the
audio alone to get hosed if your source file has the audio.