Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Horizontal Lines on Cartoon dvd's

Horizontal Lines on Cartoon dvd's

Roger Hammonds

I've noticed with a lot of my classic cartoon dvd's there're horizontal
black lines visible whenever there's a lot of assumed "movement" within
a scene. What causes this and why is it necessary?

Thanks,
Roger

Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to rec.video.dvd.tech and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

says...
> I've noticed with a lot of my classic cartoon dvd's there're horizontal
> black lines visible whenever there's a lot of assumed "movement" within
> a scene. What causes this and why is it necessary?

What DVD's? What DVD player. What mode is the DVD player using
(progressive, interlaced, upconvert to HD?) It could be a 3:2 pulldown
correction issue. If the DVD material is not encoded for that, but the
player and/or TV is trying to do the correction, you can get brief
flashes of lines during certain movements or scene changes.

Info about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross