Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate German local numbers

Reply
Thread Tools

Sipgate German local numbers

 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007
"Jupiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
> We've established that the number works fine within
> Germany. He arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and
> Leipzig. No problems at all and they got charged the
> local rate for 0801. The number is not useable from
> outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
> BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID
> several times and not had to use the full PSTN number.


Ah, I am beginning to see the light. Was the German 01801 number obtained
from sipgate.co.uk or sipgate.de..? You can get 01801 numbers (but not
gerographic German numbers) from the UK site, so even though it's a German
number it's still effectively a UK SIP ID. That would work.


Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Philippe Deleye
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007

"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as
> I've never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but
> do remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial
> SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.
>

Ivor, have to correct you;
You can dial the the SIP ID's between german Sigate (sipgatde.de) and
british Sipgate (sipgate.co.uk) numbers WITHOUT having to dial the full PSTN
numbers
remember we called each other before


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Philippe Deleye
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007

"Jupiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
> We've established that the number works fine within Germany. He
> arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and Leipzig. No problems at
> all and they got charged the local rate for 0801. The number is not
> useable from outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
> BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID several times
> and not had to use the full PSTN number.


non geographical (german) Sipgate numbers used to start with +49 1801 555
xxx xxxx
- these numbers can be dialed from within Germany from most landlines
(Telekom), but NOT from ALL providers !!!
- these numbers are not at local rate, but can be sometimes expensive
depending the provider or the price plan of the caller.
- these numbers can usually be dialed from abroad, therefore NOT TRUE that
it is not useable from outside Germany
- you can apply for local german numbers with Sipgate, but there is a tough
check: Name, Date of birth and adress need to match exactely with the entry
in the "Shufa" Database
(Shufa is a database containing the names of EVERY person who has opened a
German account (Bank account, Visa, etc...)
If the name you are using (incl. date of birth and complete adress) to
register does not exactly match, then your request for a german geographical
number gets denied.

rgds
Philippe


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007
Philippe Deleye has brought this to us :
> "Jupiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
>> We've established that the number works fine within Germany. He
>> arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and Leipzig. No problems at
>> all and they got charged the local rate for 0801. The number is not
>> useable from outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
>> BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID several times
>> and not had to use the full PSTN number.

>
> non geographical (german) Sipgate numbers used to start with +49 1801 555 xxx
> xxxx
> - these numbers can be dialed from within Germany from most landlines
> (Telekom), but NOT from ALL providers !!!
> - these numbers are not at local rate, but can be sometimes expensive
> depending the provider or the price plan of the caller.
> - these numbers can usually be dialed from abroad, therefore NOT TRUE that it
> is not useable from outside Germany
> - you can apply for local german numbers with Sipgate, but there is a tough
> check: Name, Date of birth and adress need to match exactely with the entry
> in the "Shufa" Database
> (Shufa is a database containing the names of EVERY person who has opened a
> German account (Bank account, Visa, etc...)
> If the name you are using (incl. date of birth and complete adress) to
> register does not exactly match, then your request for a german geographical
> number gets denied.


Erm, no it doesn't - at least it didn't with me. Admittedly, I googled
for an address that had an occupant with the same surname as mine,
however, even if it asked for birthdate during the sign up (I can't
remember that it did) It's very unlikely that this person in Wuppertal
has the same name & birthdate as me.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007
"Philippe Deleye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:45d6e53b$0$3146$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from
> > outside Germany as I've never used one. However the
> > number will be callable from Sipgate, but do remember
> > you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't
> > dial SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.

> Ivor, have to correct you;
> You can dial the the SIP ID's between german Sigate
> (sipgatde.de) and british Sipgate (sipgate.co.uk) numbers
> WITHOUT having to dial the full PSTN numbers
> remember we called each other before


It used to work but it doesn't any more. The link between the databases
was disconnected as it took too long to check every time a number was
dialled. If you still have my number, try it now. I have a German SIP
number as well as the UK ones and it doesn't work between the two for me.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jupiter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:19:45 GMT, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Jupiter wrote :
>
>>>
>>> It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
>>> for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
>>> relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.
>>>

>> Good point, but wouldn't Sipgate know that his IP address was in a
>> block allocated to a UK ISP and sus out the ploy?

>
>Nope.
>
>> They'll have to be careful about this because it's a legal requirement
>> in Germany that the user be resident there.

>
>Who'll have to be careful? Your friend or his relatives? His relatives
>would be users - they want to be able to call a German number when
>speaking to a relative in the UK. What's wrong with that?
>

Sipgate are the ones who'll have to be careful. Presumably they are
regulated by German authorities as they are allocating telephone
numbers. Users won't be at risk.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jupiter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:06:47 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jupiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>[snip]
>
>> You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
>> We've established that the number works fine within
>> Germany. He arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and
>> Leipzig. No problems at all and they got charged the
>> local rate for 0801. The number is not useable from
>> outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
>> BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID
>> several times and not had to use the full PSTN number.

>
>Ah, I am beginning to see the light. Was the German 01801 number obtained
>from sipgate.co.uk or sipgate.de..? You can get 01801 numbers (but not
>gerographic German numbers) from the UK site, so even though it's a German
>number it's still effectively a UK SIP ID. That would work.
>
>
>Ivor
>

Obtained from sipgate.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2007
"Jupiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:06:47 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


[snip]

> > Ah, I am beginning to see the light. Was the German
> > 01801 number obtained from sipgate.co.uk or
> > sipgate.de..? You can get 01801 numbers (but not
> > gerographic German numbers) from the UK site, so even
> > though it's a German number it's still effectively a UK
> > SIP ID. That would work.
> >
> >
> > Ivor
> >

> Obtained from sipgate.co.uk


That explains it. He effectively has a UK SIP account, but with a German
non-geo number. My German number is a genuine one from sipgate.de so is
not directly available from the UK domain.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Philippe Deleye
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2007

"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It used to work but it doesn't any more. The link between the databases
> was disconnected as it took too long to check every time a number was
> dialled. If you still have my number, try it now. I have a German SIP
> number as well as the UK ones and it doesn't work between the two for me.


Indeed, you are right. It does not work anymore
Philippe


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help-Charging German Fritzbox from German to English Nigel UK VOIP 4 01-22-2008 10:47 PM
Any other company than Sipgate that allocates local UK numbers Unknown Artist UK VOIP 5 01-08-2006 05:24 PM
Sipgate: dialing another sipgate number Stuart Millington UK VOIP 8 06-14-2005 05:25 PM
Sipgate can call mobiles, non-geographic numbers but not landlines... George UK VOIP 9 05-14-2005 07:07 PM
2 Sipgate numbers behind one router..? Ivor Jones VOIP 54 02-04-2005 01:20 PM



Advertisments