Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Best Voip adaptor

Reply
Thread Tools

Best Voip adaptor

 
 
Nigel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2007

Hi,

I am looking to get a voip adaptor to connect a normal DECT phone to my
cable modem. I am looking at the Grandstream range possable the 486. I
mainly use voipstunt. Any problems with this ?? what is the difference with
the lower spec models 286 amd 386 and the 486?? is it worth spending the
extra money??

Any thoughts on the Linksys SPA-1001 ??


Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor?? Any one
recommend any?? I am looking to spend about 75 on an adaptor and maybe a
3100 on a combined.


thanks.

Nigel



--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nigel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2007
sorry that is 100 on a combined adapator.

--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2007
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:32:22 +0100, "Nigel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>Hi,
>
>I am looking to get a voip adaptor to connect a normal DECT phone to my
>cable modem. I am looking at the Grandstream range possable the 486. I
>mainly use voipstunt. Any problems with this ?? what is the difference with
>the lower spec models 286 amd 386 and the 486?? is it worth spending the
>extra money??
>
>Any thoughts on the Linksys SPA-1001 ??
>
>
>Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor?? Any one
>recommend any?? I am looking to spend about 75 on an adaptor and maybe a
>3100 on a combined.
>

If you don't have a router, and you want one to route to more than
just one PC, then you probably won't do better than a Fritzbox Fon
7140 - but that will cost 129 + Postage (voiptalk.org) It is a modem,
router, multi-voip line device with standard landline integration.
If you only want to use one PC, and you already have a modem, then the
Linksys/Sipura 3102, ATA/one LAN port router, would be a very good
choice. Only one incoming voip number but the choice of 5 different
outgoing providers + full support for a standard landline connection.
It is available for 53.85 +postage from broadbandstuff.co.uk
The SPA-1001 is good in that it will facilitate 2 incoming numbers to
one analogue phone port. However, unlike the SPA-3102, it only
provides for 2 outgoing providers (the same as the incoming ones), it
also does not have support for integrating a standard landline (if you
have one).
I know little about the grandstream devices so I decline to comment.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Flobby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2007
>
> I am looking to get a voip adaptor to connect a normal DECT phone to my
> cable modem. I am looking at the Grandstream range possable the 486. I
> mainly use voipstunt. Any problems with this ?? what is the difference
> with the lower spec models 286 amd 386 and the 486?? is it worth spending
> the extra money??
>
> Any thoughts on the Linksys SPA-1001 ??
>
>
> Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor?? Any
> one recommend any?? I am looking to spend about 75 on an adaptor and
> maybe a 3100 on a combined.
>


The Grandstream stuff is actually pretty good, IMO. The answer to your
question depends a lot on what you want to do. If you're using your
existing phone, you'll need one with PSTN pass through so you can make calls
over the public network when you need to. Some have this as a fail safe
option, and it cannot be activated while the device is on and registered.
Incoming calls are unaffected.

Some integrated devices are ok, for example, I use a Zyxel 2602HWL-61C. If
it breaks, I'll be trying the Draytek series next. Reason being that the
weak point on the Zyxel is the relay to PSTN which introduces audible noise
to the line for PSTN calls. I have already had one fail due to this relay.
The other issue to watch out for is firmware updates. If they are not
releasing regular updates, and not responding to issues, as Zyxel have done
with me, then they don't deserve your cash.

So, there are a number of points to look for :

Integrated Unit vs Router and ATA Combo. In future I may choose to separate
the two, as a troublesome ATA is less expensive to replace than an all in
one. This might come down to the number of power blocks you want hanging
from your wall.

Some ATA units can act as a NAT between your PC and your Router/modem.
Useful if you've run out of ethernet sockets on your router, not so good if
you play games online as the latency increases. These would be useful if
you only had a USB modem.

PSTN pass through. Decide if you need it.

Incoming caller ID on PSTN. Some devices, my Zyxel for example, will not
show the caller id for incoming PSTN calls.

More than one SIP account. There are good reasons for having a device that
can register with more than one provider at a time. You then have a fall
back, should your provider be unable to route the call for whatever reason,
without having to reconfigure. Having an FWD account can be handy. Also,
the number of FXS sockets is not always proportional to the number of
accounts that can be registered. If using only one phone on a device with
more than one FXS socket, make sure the other SIP accounts can be configured
to ring on that one port.

Dial plans. Decide if you need a device that can handle dial plans.

Some ATAs have additional functionality for traversing troublesome NATs,
such as STUN server support.

There are cheap chinese designed and made ATAs available on ebay now, such
as those sold by pctradeshop. I got one of these for my sister, and touch
wood, it's been fine so far. For 20, it might be worth a dip in the kitty
to see if it satisfies your needs.

Rgds

Stuart


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Flobby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2007
"Mr Flobby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d0ca77$0$22864$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
>> I am looking to get a voip adaptor to connect a normal DECT phone to my
>> cable modem. I am looking at the Grandstream range possable the 486. I
>> mainly use voipstunt. Any problems with this ?? what is the difference
>> with the lower spec models 286 amd 386 and the 486?? is it worth spending
>> the extra money??
>>
>> Any thoughts on the Linksys SPA-1001 ??
>>
>>
>> Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor?? Any
>> one recommend any?? I am looking to spend about 75 on an adaptor and
>> maybe a 3100 on a combined.
>>

>
> The Grandstream stuff is actually pretty good, IMO. The answer to your
> question depends a lot on what you want to do. If you're using your
> existing phone, you'll need one with PSTN pass through so you can make
> calls over the public network when you need to. Some have this as a fail
> safe option, and it cannot be activated while the device is on and
> registered. Incoming calls are unaffected.
>
> Some integrated devices are ok, for example, I use a Zyxel 2602HWL-61C.
> If it breaks, I'll be trying the Draytek series next. Reason being that
> the weak point on the Zyxel is the relay to PSTN which introduces audible
> noise to the line for PSTN calls. I have already had one fail due to this
> relay. The other issue to watch out for is firmware updates. If they are
> not releasing regular updates, and not responding to issues, as Zyxel have
> done with me, then they don't deserve your cash.
>
> So, there are a number of points to look for :
>
> Integrated Unit vs Router and ATA Combo. In future I may choose to
> separate the two, as a troublesome ATA is less expensive to replace than
> an all in one. This might come down to the number of power blocks you
> want hanging from your wall.
>
> Some ATA units can act as a NAT between your PC and your Router/modem.
> Useful if you've run out of ethernet sockets on your router, not so good
> if you play games online as the latency increases. These would be useful
> if you only had a USB modem.
>
> PSTN pass through. Decide if you need it.
>
> Incoming caller ID on PSTN. Some devices, my Zyxel for example, will not
> show the caller id for incoming PSTN calls.
>
> More than one SIP account. There are good reasons for having a device
> that can register with more than one provider at a time. You then have a
> fall back, should your provider be unable to route the call for whatever
> reason, without having to reconfigure. Having an FWD account can be
> handy. Also, the number of FXS sockets is not always proportional to the
> number of accounts that can be registered. If using only one phone on a
> device with more than one FXS socket, make sure the other SIP accounts can
> be configured to ring on that one port.
>
> Dial plans. Decide if you need a device that can handle dial plans.
>
> Some ATAs have additional functionality for traversing troublesome NATs,
> such as STUN server support.
>
> There are cheap chinese designed and made ATAs available on ebay now, such
> as those sold by pctradeshop. I got one of these for my sister, and touch
> wood, it's been fine so far. For 20, it might be worth a dip in the
> kitty to see if it satisfies your needs.
>
> Rgds
>
> Stuart
>


I just reread your post. If you only have a cable modem, it most likely has
only one ethernet port, currently connected to your computer. in this case
something like the Grandstream 486 will do what you want, and sit between
your PC and your modem. Just remember your latency for games will increase.
BTW, the cable from your computer to the modem is a crossover cable, so that
cable would be used to connect the 486 to the modem. A normal patch cable
would be used to connect the 486 to the PC.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nigel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2007
Hi,

thanks for your replies. Is this the one you got:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN-...QQcmdZViewItem

Is it better then this one:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINKSYS-SIP-VO...QQcmdZViewItem

( but in Hong Kong!)

this one is in the uk.:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-Broadb...QQcmdZViewItem

Do all of these have a firewall built in ??

I look the sound of switcing between providers. How easy is it on your
sisters??

thanks

Nigel

--

Winter and Summer holidays in the alps!!!
www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Flobby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2007
"Nigel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eqqjrr$b6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your replies. Is this the one you got:-
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN-...QQcmdZViewItem


Yes, thats the one I got. It only has one ethernet port, so it's no good
for your modem only setup.

>
> Is it better then this one:-
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINKSYS-SIP-VO...QQcmdZViewItem
>
> ( but in Hong Kong!)


As far as I can remember, the PAP2 has 2 x FXS ports, and can register 2 x
SIP accounts. However, I think each SIP account is linked to only one FXS
port, so you'd need two phones. Maybe an owner of one can confirm. Again,
I think this one is designed to plug straight into a router, and not between
PC and modem. As for it being better, my guess would be that it's better
made, common and therefore likely to be supported.

>
> this one is in the uk.:-
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-Broadb...QQcmdZViewItem
>


That looks like 2 x Ethernet ports on this one, but I know nothing about it.

> Do all of these have a firewall built in ??


I doubt any of them have true firewalls, it's probably not cost effective to
develop a fully fledged feature like that on an ATA since they generally sit
behind routers. In any event, I don't use it. Since only one client is
connecting to the device, it more than likely forwards all the ports to the
client. I certainly haven't seen any packet filtering features or other
traffic manipulation.

>
> I look the sound of switcing between providers. How easy is it on your
> sisters??
>


On hers, it's a simple case of using your browser on the device and
selecting an account, and a provider. You can therefore have multiple
accounts for the same provider if you wanted. Only one combination of the
two can be active at any one time though. I have the manual for it here if
you want to have a read.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:16:51 -0000, "Mr Flobby" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Nigel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:eqqjrr$b6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for your replies. Is this the one you got:-
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-VOIP-PSTN-...QQcmdZViewItem

>
>Yes, thats the one I got. It only has one ethernet port, so it's no good
>for your modem only setup.
>
>>
>> Is it better then this one:-
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINKSYS-SIP-VO...QQcmdZViewItem
>>
>> ( but in Hong Kong!)

>
>As far as I can remember, the PAP2 has 2 x FXS ports, and can register 2 x
>SIP accounts. However, I think each SIP account is linked to only one FXS
>port, so you'd need two phones. Maybe an owner of one can confirm. Again,
>I think this one is designed to plug straight into a router, and not between
>PC and modem. As for it being better, my guess would be that it's better
>made, common and therefore likely to be supported.
>

If you decide on a PAP2 buy an unlocked one from a dealer. Whatever
you do DO NOT buy one second hand - eg. from Ebay - they are often
formerly locked Vonage boxes - they can esily become locked again.
If you'd like to terminiate your calls to one set of handsets then
you'd be better off with an SPA-1001 than a PAP2.
The Grandstreams may be OK but, if you want PSTN support don't
choose one of the cheaper makes - go insted for a Linksys/Sipura or a
Fritzbox. Even thoug the Fritzbox has an inbuilt modem it will also
work on cable with the loss of one of the ethernet ports.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
Nigel wrote:
> Or is it worth getting a combined wireless router and voip adaptor??

Any one
> recommend any?? I am looking to spend about 75 on an adaptor and maybe a
> 3100 on a combined.
>


Are you on cable or ADSL?

If you are on cable then Linksys WRTP54G does you your router, wireless
and 2 voip phone ports. ProVoip are doing a deal on these at the moment
for 80 pounds + VAT.

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=70

Tim


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB voip adaptor juglegil VOIP 1 12-18-2004 12:32 AM



Advertisments