Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Linksys SPA2102

Reply
Thread Tools

Linksys SPA2102

 
 
BC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2007
I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.

Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
tone?

If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PhilT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
On Feb 10, 9:21 am, BC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
> great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
> not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
> all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.
>
> Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
> tone?


you could change your settings to not leave the phone off the hook

> If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
> get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.


I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
ringing tones when
calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
PhilT formulated the question :
> I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
> ringing tones when
> calling a sipgate number from a BT line.


Really?

I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
not the provider....?

I can't say I've noticed a high (or low, for that matter) incidence of
no ringing on Sipgate "lines"


 
Reply With Quote
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
Thus spaketh Jono:
> PhilT formulated the question :
>> I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
>> ringing tones when
>> calling a sipgate number from a BT line.

>
> Really?
>
> I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
> not the provider....?
>
> I can't say I've noticed a high (or low, for that matter) incidence of
> no ringing on Sipgate "lines"



No problems here with people not hearing the ring back when calling my
Sipgate number from a BT line or any other line for that matter.


--
60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/mob
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

 
Reply With Quote
 
PhilT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
On Feb 11, 2:41 pm, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was under the impression that ringing was generated by the device &
> not the provider....?


nope. You get a ringing tone before contact has been made to the
device. I suspect the ring tone is generated by the BT exchange (its
always the same ring tone on a BT line) in response to some status
indication from the provider - I think its the latter that goes titsup
occasionally and the exchange is waiting to be told what the score is
(engaged etc) and remains silent pending the notification.

I've had silent calls dialling a Sipgate number and had people sound
surprised "oh you are there, it wasn't ringing". Not a high proportion
of calls but not zero either.

It may be something around voicemail signalling falling over too, the
device is engaged (off hook) so it diverts to voicemail and that
doesn't respond.

Its one of those intermittent things you can never quite pin down and
often a redial solves it anyway.

Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
Scope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
BC wrote:
> I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
> great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook but
> not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any tones at
> all and number unobtainable message is generated from Virgin mobile.
>
> Is it possible to change any settings so that callers receive an engaged
> tone?
>
> If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone whilst I
> get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.


If the SPA2101 is anything like the PAP2 (and I suspect it is) you can
change the following setting under the LINE tab:

Call Waiting Serv:

Set this to NO and you get an engaged tone if you are on the phone.. I
had the same problem before, and the above sorted it out.
 
Reply With Quote
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
Thus spaketh Scope:
> BC wrote:
>> I have a standard wired phone connected to the ATA which is working
>> great with Sipgate. The only thing is - if my phone is off the hook
>> but not actually on a call, callers from BT lines do not hear any
>> tones at all and number unobtainable message is generated from
>> Virgin mobile. Is it possible to change any settings so that callers
>> receive an
>> engaged tone?
>>
>> If I'm actually on a call then callers receive the ringing tone
>> whilst I get the call waiting beep, so that works fine.

>
> If the SPA2101 is anything like the PAP2 (and I suspect it is) you can
> change the following setting under the LINE tab:
>
> Call Waiting Serv:
>
> Set this to NO and you get an engaged tone if you are on the phone.. I
> had the same problem before, and the above sorted it out.



That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting on
or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this happens
not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.


--
60 day free DVD rental: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd
Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/mob
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

 
Reply With Quote
 
Scope
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

> That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
> waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting on
> or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
> digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this happens
> not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.


Whats the chances of that happening? Surely you dont hold the phone for
long before dialing the numbers?
 
Reply With Quote
 
BC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
PhilT wrote:

>
> I suspect its a Sipgate network thing. Quite common to not hear
> ringing tones when
> calling a sipgate number from a BT line.
>
> Phil
>


No problem with ringing tones its just the busy tone. With landlines if
a phone is off the hook then someone calling that number receives the
busy tone, with my Sipgate line the person calling my Sipgate number
gets no tone at all or number "not recognised" from a mobile.

If anyone else has a Spigate line give it a try, let me know if you get
the same thing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2007
Thus spaketh Scope:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
>
>> That seems to work when you are actually on the call (as does call
>> waiting work as posted above), but either setting with call waiting
>> on or off, if you pick the phone up and then phone is waiting for the
>> digits to dial, then you get the problem described above, this
>> happens not just from Sipgate lines, but from other providers too.

>
> Whats the chances of that happening? Surely you dont hold the phone
> for long before dialing the numbers?



Usually only the second or so that it takes to dial the number (input
number first then press dial), but several times someones tried calling
in that split second.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connecting SPA2102 to D-link router BC UK VOIP 6 01-11-2009 04:57 PM
Help with Linksys/Sepura SPA2102 harrogate3 UK VOIP 4 08-06-2007 06:32 AM
Netgear DG834+linksys SPA2102 speckled hen UK VOIP 0 10-12-2006 07:56 PM
Why can't I get WPA to work with linksys router and linksys/WinXP client? Colin Wireless Networking 0 06-14-2005 08:52 PM
wrv54G linksys router VPN does not work - even linksys quick vpn client spencerwill.com Cisco 2 05-26-2005 06:44 PM



Advertisments