Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Caller ID - Another "can it be done"

Caller ID - Another "can it be done"

Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Trying to work out a method of having something other than an
"international" or mobile no. caller ID from voipcheap.com and a few
ideas hit me.

Firstly I tried sending a verification text to my voipfone free text
mobile number..... still waiting for it to come through.

Then I thought... Why not send a text to the geo. number on my voip
service... chances are it wouldn't take a text, but, our BT line does
recieve text messages, so, though it is no good for me, if anyone has
their BT line connected for incoming calls try enabling text service
(ours is enabled through a function on our DECT phone but I expect it's
easy to do) The send verification text to landline, type in the code
and bob's your uncle....

Well, it might work or it might not. Gotta be worth a go for the few
pence cost of a text!

Any ideas as to whether my logic is flawed?

Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Gym Equipment,Fitness Equipment,Supplements
http://www.water-rower.co.uk - Uk's leading WaterRower retailer

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk:
> Trying to work out a method of having something other than an
> "international" or mobile no. caller ID from voipcheap.com and a few
> ideas hit me.
>
> Firstly I tried sending a verification text to my voipfone free text
> mobile number..... still waiting for it to come through.
>
> Then I thought... Why not send a text to the geo. number on my voip
> service... chances are it wouldn't take a text, but, our BT line does
> recieve text messages, so, though it is no good for me, if anyone has
> their BT line connected for incoming calls try enabling text service
> (ours is enabled through a function on our DECT phone but I expect
> it's easy to do) The send verification text to landline, type in the
> code and bob's your uncle....
>
> Well, it might work or it might not. Gotta be worth a go for the few
> pence cost of a text!
>
> Any ideas as to whether my logic is flawed?
>
> Pete

Unless any thing has changed you were able to send a verification text
to a landline.

Then there is the matter of because often during the day calls are
routed from outside the UK even with a landline number CLID it will on
BT landline still get displayed as international. They same way as if
you use 18185 or 1899 from a UK landline, often due to routing it will
still get displayed the other end as International, even if you are only
calling your next door neighbour.

Since I dumped my landline around 18 months ago and rely just on VoIP as
my 'landline' service I don't get this 'International' call problem when
people call me, my VoIP services display the number even if sometimes
due to routing (all friends and relatives use 18185 or 1899 from their
lines, some VoIP) it gets displayed a 0044..... (Though my DECT phones
still recognize this even with 01... or 02... number programmed and
displays their name). Also when I get calls from people who are outside
the UK I get their CLID displayed.

It's about time BT just let the CLID through and stopped masking it as
International - Though as I no longer have a regular landline that no
longer a problem for me.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Jono

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} pretended :
> Unless any thing has changed you were able to send a verification text to a
> landline.

Did you miss out n't in the above?

I can't verify my lamdline number as you imply you were......

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} pretended :
>> Unless any thing has changed you were able to send a verification
>> text to a landline.

> Did you miss out n't in the above?
>
> I can't verify my lamdline number as you imply you were......

Sorry yeah, I keep doing that, missing the 'n't off words.

Unless any thing has changed you weren't able to send a verification
text
to a landline.

Herman

"Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eqb4ul$j1q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to work out a method of having something other than an
> "international" or mobile no. caller ID from voipcheap.com and a few
> ideas hit me.
>
> Firstly I tried sending a verification text to my voipfone free text
> mobile number..... still waiting for it to come through.
>
> Then I thought... Why not send a text to the geo. number on my voip
> service... chances are it wouldn't take a text, but, our BT line does
> recieve text messages, so, though it is no good for me, if anyone has
> their BT line connected for incoming calls try enabling text service (ours
> is enabled through a function on our DECT phone but I expect it's easy to
> do) The send verification text to landline, type in the code and bob's
> your uncle....
>
> Well, it might work or it might not. Gotta be worth a go for the few pence
> cost of a text!
>
> Any ideas as to whether my logic is flawed?
>
> Pete
>
> --
> http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Gym Equipment,Fitness Equipment,Supplements
> http://www.water-rower.co.uk - Uk's leading WaterRower retailer
> http://www.fitness-equipment-uk.net - Fitness Equipment at sale prices
> http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk/sitemap.html - Here is where it all starts!

SMS reception is set to on by default for all landlines (it delivers them as
a voice message so you don't need a compatible phone). This even works for
some/all VoIP numbers.

HOWEVER: you cannot verify landline numbers. Trying to fool the system into
thinking it is a mobile number is hardly likely to work either. They asked
me a couple of times to provide a verified landline or mobile number, I
think to prove land of residence. However they state that VoIP landline
numbers do not count, and indeed, it kicked out my VoIP landline number.
Give it a try by all means, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't work.

Jono

Herman pretended :

> SMS reception is set to on by default for all landlines (it delivers them as
> a voice message so you don't need a compatible phone). This even works for
> some/all VoIP numbers.
>
> HOWEVER: you cannot verify landline numbers. Trying to fool the system into
> thinking it is a mobile number is hardly likely to work either. They asked
> me a couple of times to provide a verified landline or mobile number, I think
> to prove land of residence. However they state that VoIP landline numbers do
> not count, and indeed, it kicked out my VoIP landline number. Give it a try
> by all means, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't work.

The "Verify" button isn't present on numbers beginning 00441, only

Can't get function caller if the caller is from a function within a popup window Mark Javascript 2 04-03-2004 07:57 AM
cisco caller allowed call time Ivana Cisco 1 03-02-2004 02:35 PM
caller / callee graph ... jai hanuman ASP .Net 0 12-16-2003 03:34 PM
CCM caller id JS Cisco 0 10-23-2003 05:05 PM
Caller Id and win32::serial robb Perl 1 10-14-2003 07:42 PM

Advertisments