Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Two VoIP phones in parallel

Two VoIP phones in parallel

Thomas Kenyon

Jono wrote:
> Martin Evans wrote :
>

>> The account (single line) is with Gradwell.
>> Surely it can't be a case of just plugging them into the router and
>> letting it assign them suitable private addresses (currently
>> 192.168.0.4) , or is it?

> Yes.
>
> As far as I'm aware, though, Gradwell charge a little extra for
> multi-line services - I could be wrong.....

It depends on what you want, they allow you to have 2 incoming calls per
number and an unlimited number of outgoing calls.

usenet@drandles.net

On 5 Feb 2007 09:13:39 -0800, "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5 Feb, 15:44, Martin Evans <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is it possible to connect two IP phones within the same premises in
>> some way so that both can make and receive calls on the same 'line' or
>> does it require additional equipment such as a mini PABX?
>>
>> The phones are a Linksys SPA-921 and a Siemens C460 IP if that has any
>> bearing on the implementation.
>>
>> --

>That depends upon the service provider.
>
>Certainly with voip.co.uk you can have more than one device registered
>& can make and receive calls on either device. Transferring calls
>wouldn't work. Gradwell will also allow this.

You could use a Virtual PBX such as Axon from NCH Swift Sound which
will handle multiple VOIP extensions (USB, WiFi or softphones) on a
network and also multiple VOIP service providers. It will ring all the
extensions for an incoming call if required.

www.nch.com.au/pbx

David

Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
wrote in message
news:bTJxh.6309$(E-Mail Removed) k

[snip]

> With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of
> the world and with the same account details in both, they
> will both ring when called. You can both make calls at
> the same time too. If you dial your own Sipgate number
> from the one device it will ring the other.

It's called call forking and is a standard SIP feature. It *should* work
with any provider, although I suppose it's possible that some have found
ways to disable it.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
> > With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of
> > the world and with the same account details in both,
> > they will both ring when called. You can both make
> > calls at the same time too. If you dial your own
> > Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the
> > other.

> That's interesting.
>
> I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if
> they're both on the same IP, let alone two with same
> credentials.....though I've never tried the latter.

It depends on what equipment you're using. I had terrible problems with a
Sipura SPA-2000 and a Netgear 602 modem/router with 2 Sipgate accounts,
sometimes it would work from one line to the other, sometimes not. It was
eventually sorted when I replaced the Netgear with a Fritz!Box. The Sipura
works fine plugged into the Fritz as well.

I can even take my SPA-1001 to Germany and the USA and it works fine with
2 of my Sipgate numbers in it as well.

I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot
of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)

Ivor

Jono

Ivor Jones expressed precisely :
> "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} formulated the question :
>> > With Sipgate you can have the devices the other side of
>> > the world and with the same account details in both,
>> > they will both ring when called. You can both make
>> > calls at the same time too. If you dial your own
>> > Sipgate number from the one device it will ring the
>> > other.

>> That's interesting.
>>
>> I can't ring from one Sipgate account to another if
>> they're both on the same IP, let alone two with same
>> credentials.....though I've never tried the latter.

> It depends on what equipment you're using. I had terrible problems with a
> Sipura SPA-2000 and a Netgear 602 modem/router with 2 Sipgate accounts,
> sometimes it would work from one line to the other, sometimes not. It was
> eventually sorted when I replaced the Netgear with a Fritz!Box. The Sipura
> works fine plugged into the Fritz as well.
>
> I can even take my SPA-1001 to Germany and the USA and it works fine with 2
> of my Sipgate numbers in it as well.
>
> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst others
> gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot of the time
> (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)
>
> Ivor

I never thought it was a Sipgate fault as the accounts were fine on
different networks - I presumed it was some issue internal to my
network

Herman

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
> others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot
> of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)

Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have multiple
providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call quality and DTMF
recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may be
good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not be able to use
them with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

Jono

Herman expressed precisely :
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
>> others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot of
>> the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is about..!!)

> Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have multiple
> providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call quality and DTMF
> recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may be
> good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not be able to use them
> with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

Hmm. I have a number of Sipgate trunks, none of which have any
difficulty whatsoever with DTMF.......you're new to the Fritz!box,
aren't you?

Ivor Jones

"Herman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:93tyh.1840$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I suspect things like this are part of the reason that
> > Sipgate amongst others gets a bad press, it's the
> > user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot of the time (I
> > won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is
> > about..!!)

> Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that
> I have multiple providers configured on my FritzBox, and
> I have call quality and DTMF recognition issues on
> Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may be
> good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not
> be able to use them with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

Strange, I have two Sipgate UK accounts, one Sipgate DE account, a FWD
account, one Gradwell account and a private direct link to a friend's
Asterisk box on my Fritz!Box and all work fine with no discernable
difference in call quality on any of them.

Ivor

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
> Herman expressed precisely :
>> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate
>>> amongst others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not
>>> Sipgate a lot of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case
>>> Dexter is about..!!)

>> Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have
>> multiple providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call
>> quality and DTMF recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't
>> with others. They may be good as a cheap and cheerful second line,
>> but I would not be able to use them with my setup as a PSTN
>> replacement.

> Hmm. I have a number of Sipgate trunks, none of which have any
> difficulty whatsoever with DTMF.......you're new to the Fritz!box,
> aren't you?

Same here, no problems with DTMF on Sipgate lines.

Herman

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Herman expressed precisely :
>> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I suspect things like this are part of the reason that Sipgate amongst
>>> others gets a bad press, it's the user's equipment and not Sipgate a lot
>>> of the time (I won't say *all* the time just in case Dexter is
>>> about..!!)

>> Could well be some of the reason, but I have to say that I have multiple
>> providers configured on my FritzBox, and I have call quality and DTMF
>> recognition issues on Sipgate calls where I don't with others. They may
>> be good as a cheap and cheerful second line, but I would not be able to
>> use them with my setup as a PSTN replacement.

> Hmm. I have a number of Sipgate trunks, none of which have any difficulty
> whatsoever with DTMF.......you're new to the Fritz!box, aren't you?

I've had the FritzBox for a few months now but I had the same issue on my
previous ATA. In any case, the call quality generally is nowhere near as
good as my other providers. There is clearly something about Sipgate that
makes it prone to quality issues.

Although there may be a way of solving them, I haven't found it yet.
However, I suspect it is something to do with internet routing somewhere,
which is a problem that cannot be solved by users. I suspect there are one
or more weak points in the potential routes to Sipgate servers which clearly
cause some users issues while they don't for others.