Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Configuring Cisco 2511

Configuring Cisco 2511

Nick Name

Hi everyone,

Just for the record (and as excuse for silly questions) : I am
completely new in configuring routers.

I have following problem :
We have a modempool with a cisco 2511 router. This router had an
IP-address, but our HQ stole it and used it for an other device.
Xe now have to give a new IP-address to it, but I can't use telnet
anymore.
How can I connect to the device? What commands do I use to change the
IP-address?

Is there any simple manual out there I can use to perform some basic
configuration on the router?

Thanks in advance.

Doug McIntyre

"Nick Name" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>We have a modempool with a cisco 2511 router. This router had an
>IP-address, but our HQ stole it and used it for an other device.
>Xe now have to give a new IP-address to it, but I can't use telnet
>anymore.
>How can I connect to the device? What commands do I use to change the
>IP-address?

Without being able to telnet to it, you'll have to dig out the console
cable, and hook the console port up to a serial port on your laptop/computer.
Run up a term program, 9600 baud, 8N1, and issue the correct commands.

Its probably configured on the Ethernet 0 interface, something like

enable
conf term
int ethernet 0
ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.0.0
end
write mem

would work.

>Is there any simple manual out there I can use to perform some basic
>configuration on the router?

Sure, Cisco has lots of them online..

Here's the basic config manual for a 2511..
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...svrug/cnfg.htm

Note, you don't need a 2511 specific manual for 99.99% of what you
need to do, although sometimes starting out, its easier to see
commands tailored exactly for your enviornment.

Phillip Remaker

> We have a modempool with a cisco 2511 router. This router had an
> IP-address, but our HQ stole it and used it for an other device.
> Xe now have to give a new IP-address to it, but I can't use telnet
> anymore.

Pull it off on to its own hub, put a PC with a static address in the same
subnet, and then telnet to it.

It's already off the network, so just get a private hub and another PC, and
just make the telnet connection.

Or, use the console cable, as others have suggested..

Command

telnet (IP address)
enter password
Router>enable
enter enable password
Router # Configure terminal
interface ethernet 0
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.0.0 (or whatever mask)

Grand Styolz

Don't forget to open up your interface by doing a 'no shut' after your
imput of the IP address. It's amazing how many people I've seen make
that mistake!