Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Anyone using Vonage?

Anyone using Vonage?

Monty

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:01:00 GMT, John Orrett <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated. I *think* at the
>moment that my friend has a package that allows free calls to any 01 or
>02 prefix etc, but pays for the rest. He would be calling Spain on the
>odd occasion also.

As you may have discovered already, this newsgroup is populated by a large
number of anti-Vonage lobbyists. I use Vonage and find it pretty good. not only
do they offer you free (ie included in the fixed monthly charge) calls to normal
UK landlines, they currently also offer packages which enable you to make free
calls to some overseas countries. Depending on which country you like to call,
you may be lucky and find it included in one of these packages:
http://www.vonage.co.uk/specialoffers/index_uk.php

The bottom line is that if you regularly make a reasonably number of calls to UK
and the countries in your Vonage package, their costs are not expensive. Further
they offer you good voicemail and a unique feature which enables you to forward
incoming calls to any UK landline (indeed up to 5 such landlines simultaneously)
at no cost.

Of course I'm not saying that Vonage is the perfect solution for everyone, but
it's well worth a more detailed look. Don't let the lobbyists here stop you
looking at Vonage to see if it suits you.

Ivor Jones

"Monty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

> As you may have discovered already, this newsgroup is
> populated by a large number of anti-Vonage lobbyists.

Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind with them
personally, as I have never used them, but with their very high monthly
charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.

Ivor

Monty

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 02:16:03 -0000, "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind with them
>personally, as I have never used them, but with their very high monthly
>charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.

An anti-Vonage lobbyist is someone who says they "have no axe to grind with them
personally, as they have never used them, but with their very high monthly
charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, they're not likely to."

Ivor Jones

"Monty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 02:16:03 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind
> > with them personally, as I have never used them, but
> > with their very high monthly charge and insistence on
> > supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.

> An anti-Vonage lobbyist is someone who says they "have no
> axe to grind with them personally, as they have never
> used them, but with their very high monthly charge and
> insistence on supplying locked equipment, they're not
> likely to."

Ah. You obviously haven't looked up "lobbyist" in the dictionary then.

Ivor

Brian A

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:56:26 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:36:38 GMT, Brian A
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm not anti-Vonage but I am anti-wasteMoney.

>It's really a matter of personal preferences Brian as to what one
>considers wasting money less than 28p a day is not worth bothering
>about, there are people who will go out tonight and swill pint after
>pint of beer down their throats costing what is now over two quid a
>pint or something , now that is what I consider to be a total waste of
>money .
>
>>I pay 2p/call with the provider I use. Same cost to anywhere in Europe
>>or the US.

>Are you saying I could call Belgium using my voip uk account for 2 p a
>minute ? .

No, I use Vyke. I still have credit with voip.co.uk but, as my acount
was so mucked up, and at the time I had no idea when, if ever, it
would be sorted, I decided to make the switch to Vyke.co.uk and give
it a try. So far no problems. The connection is slower, there is an
announcement, but that is no problem.
2p/call to Europe and the US.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

N.Dexter@preston.no-ip.co.uk

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Monty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>> As you may have discovered already, this newsgroup is
>> populated by a large number of anti-Vonage lobbyists.

>Define "anti-Vonage lobbyists" - I have no axe to grind with them
>personally, as I have never used them, but with their very high monthly
>charge and insistence on supplying locked equipment, I'm not likely to.
>
>Ivor

Rubbish Ivor Vonage IS NOT expensive and the supplied equipment is
supplied FREE of charge unlike the equipment Sipgate are supplying at
an exorbitant cost to the consumer with an extremely poor service to
go with it .

N.Dexter@preston.no-ip.co.uk

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:15:37 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Are you saying I could call Belgium using my voip uk account for 2 p a
>>minute ? .

>No, I use Vyke. I still have credit with voip.co.uk but, as my acount
>was so mucked up, and at the time I had no idea when, if ever, it
>would be sorted, I decided to make the switch to Vyke.co.uk and give
>it a try. So far no problems. The connection is slower, there is an
>announcement, but that is no problem.
>2p/call to Europe and the US.

I have found that I can use voipuk a 2p to Europe your post has raised
another quiestion Brian can you set up Vyke on an ATA or is it soley
for softphone use ?.

N.Dexter@preston.no-ip.co.uk

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:34:32 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

>Vonage is fine if you make enough calls, as it's not cheap,

Compared with who ? I think Vonage is very cheap at less than 28p a
day a customer gets a lot with Vonage compared with BT at 37p PLUS
calls ok there are cheaper but they do not give the same quality of
service.
Take voip.co.uk for instance with who I have two lines and have just
had my two Vonage numbers ported over one line is perfect the other is
rubbish every time I make a call using it the connection drops after
one minute or less . Support has known about this problem for nearly a
week now long BEFORE the remaining Vonage number was ported over to it
which only came across on Friday but nothing seems to being done about
it.

>Vonage like to advertise some free features, yet most of these are
>features of VoIP and you get them free anyway.

But they do not work as efficiently though look at the totally crap
voicemail that Sipgate provide for instance and can you call support
24/7 with any of them except Vonage hell you cannot even call Sipgate
support.
And on a different note Telewest news servers have been down all
weekend yet another useless outfit they really do remind me of
Sipgate.

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Rubbish Ivor Vonage IS NOT expensive and the supplied
> equipment is supplied FREE of charge unlike the equipment
> Sipgate are supplying at an exorbitant cost to the
> consumer with an extremely poor service to go with it .

It's expensive if you don't make the volume of calls to cover the cost.
Just as it would be expensive to buy a Rolls Royce to do the shopping in,
even if you could afford it.

Ivor

N.Dexter@preston.no-ip.co.uk

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:39:44 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>[snip]
>
>> Rubbish Ivor Vonage IS NOT expensive and the supplied
>> equipment is supplied FREE of charge unlike the equipment
>> Sipgate are supplying at an exorbitant cost to the
>> consumer with an extremely poor service to go with it .

>It's expensive if you don't make the volume of calls to cover the cost.
>Just as it would be expensive to buy a Rolls Royce to do the shopping in,
>even if you could afford it.

I don''t think many people make enough calls to cover the cost of a BT
or Telewest line to cover the cost for that matter Ivor but they still
have them .

Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :) MarkČ Digital Photography 34 05-20-2006 11:16 AM
Anyone who posts for Help in Here needs Intellix - Anyone providing Help Applicable Also Ditto21 Computer Support 8 02-18-2006 04:27 AM
Anyone?? Anyone at all?? JDS HTML 2 09-29-2005 07:10 PM
Anyone know anyone in Toronto Canada that will write your Mcsa Exams MonkeyMunx Microsoft Certification 17 01-05-2004 03:37 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Steve Williams Python 0 09-16-2003 03:26 AM

Advertisments