Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Recommendations for a Wireless Ethernet Bridge

Recommendations for a Wireless Ethernet Bridge

Phil Thompson

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:05:41 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I did, originally, have the idea of using a WiFi USB dongle at the
>antenna end, actually in the dish. I would then need some form of
>converter from USB to ethernet. I am not so confident that that would
>work, though it would be ideal if it would, but I might have some
>muddled thinking there.
>Anyone got any thoughts on that ?

a laptop PC makes a good USB to ethernet converter

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast

Herman

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:04:48 GMT, "Herman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I am interested in purchasing a Wireless Ethernet Bridge.
>>>
>>> I want to use it with a free WiFi source (not my own).
>>> I want to be able to connect a computer and an ATA - though I don't
>>> mind using an additional router if necessary to get more LAN outputs.
>>>
>>> I have looked at various makes/models on the Net.
>>> I was interested in the high power Buffalo, it had many glowing
>>> reports on amazon.com but, on another site reviews gave it an equal
>>> 'thumbs down' - that made me rather suspicious of amazon.com.
>>> The only one that seems to get reasonable reviews, except for comments
>>> on the difficulty of setting it up and it getting rather hot, is an
>>> SMC model
>>> (SMCWEBT-G 2.4GHz 108 Mbps Wireless Ethernet Bridge)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions to suit my application?
>>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

>>Fritzbox 7050 can do bridging, but I can't comment on reliability of the
>>connection, as I haven't used this. WLAN seems to work as you would
>>expect
>>with ecryption etc.

> That is veeeeery interesting. I was consiedering buying a Fritzbox
> anyway. Do you mean that I could simply use a Fritzbox and the VoIP
> would work 'as is' without the use of an Ethernet Bridge?

I *believe* so. On the WLAN configuration page, it allows you to set it up
as a repeater station (which would appear to be what you want) or as a base
station that allows repeater stations. However, I guess it depends how the
WiFi network you connect to is set up. If it is a private WiFi network
belonging to someone you know, then I guess it makes it more likely to be
workable as:
a) It will be less likely to have MAC address security for repeater
stations, or if it does, you will be more likely to be able to add the MAC
address because you know the system administrator.
b) It is potentially more secure. I don't believe the firewall of the
FritzBox will be protecting such a connection, because it will consider
itself an extension of an existing LAN. You will therefore need to assure
yourself of the security of the network you're connecting to, but assuming
you can do this, it would seem to be more secure.

I am assuming that the FritzBox will then work like a switch, routing
internet traffic including VoIP over WLAN, but again I do not have the
opportunity to test it. I would recommend being sure this is the case
before buying. There are a couple of bugs in some features (notably dodgy
DTMF recognition for callthrough and no 3 way calling) so well worth
checking.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention to make sure QoS is available, but then you'd
probably already considered that.

Perhaps somebody else with one of the FritzBoxes with WiFi has a bit more
experience?