Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > ATA in student halls of residence

Reply
Thread Tools

ATA in student halls of residence

 
 
Hana
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
Hi,

I know this has been asked before and I've been reading past posts but
I can't see that anyone has managed to use an ATA for this purpose.

I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone for my
daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up for her when she goes
back to Uni next week.

Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible in a halls of
residence situation that has only 1 ethernet cable connection per room.

Many thanks,

Hana

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
"Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Hi,
>
> I know this has been asked before and I've been reading
> past posts but I can't see that anyone has managed to use
> an ATA for this purpose.
>
> I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone
> for my daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up
> for her when she goes back to Uni next week.
>
> Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible
> in a halls of residence situation that has only 1
> ethernet cable connection per room.


It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch to the incoming
connection and plug whatever you want into there.

Whether the university's IT dept will block the required ports or not is
another matter.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hana
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
> It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch to the incoming
> connection and plug whatever you want into there.


Hi Ivor,
Thanks for replying.
Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?
If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I can do about
that?

Thanks, Hana

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
"Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
> > to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
> > into there.

>
> Hi Ivor,
> Thanks for replying.
> Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?


Yes, although a switch would be better.

> If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
> can do about that?


No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:14:33 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com
>> > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
>> > to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
>> > into there.

>>
>> Hi Ivor,
>> Thanks for replying.
>> Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

>
>Yes, although a switch would be better.
>
>> If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
>> can do about that?

>
>No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.
>
>Ivor

There is a solution, if ports are being blocked. This is to use a
Virtual Private Network connection.
This company is planning to offer this service. I don't know of other
companies that are offering this.
http://www.callwithus.com/

They say:-
" Coming soon.
SIP over VPN. Some ISP block VOIP traffic to push their own VOIP
services to customers. We offer VPN (virtual private network)
connection to our server to avoid provider's blocks. Stay connected!
We expect a high success rate. Contact us if you wish to participate
in beta-testing of SIP over VPN service. "
The UK rate is US1.2c/min ( equivalent to 0.62p/min at current
exchange rates).
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeterW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
"Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
>> > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
>> > to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
>> > into there.

>>
>> Hi Ivor,
>> Thanks for replying.
>> Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

>
> Yes, although a switch would be better.
>
>> If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
>> can do about that?

>
> No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.
>
> Ivor
>
>


My daughter uses the "idefisk" IAX client and a USB handset from her
University room to an Asterisk server I run. This works fine. SIP can be a
lot more problematic because of NAT.

If you find SIP blocked, try a free call with the Voipcheap.com [*not
voipcheap.co.uk*] client. This uses a single IP port. The Tesco VoIP
service is IAX based but relatively expensive.

Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:17:56 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 16:14:33 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com
>>> > It's electrically possible, just connect a hub/switch
>>> > to the incoming connection and plug whatever you want
>>> > into there.
>>>
>>> Hi Ivor,
>>> Thanks for replying.
>>> Do you mean just a plain ethernet hub?

>>
>>Yes, although a switch would be better.
>>
>>> If the university blocks the ports, is there anything I
>>> can do about that?

>>
>>No. Unless you can persuade them that they should, which is unlikely.
>>
>>Ivor

>There is a solution, if ports are being blocked. This is to use a
>Virtual Private Network connection.
>This company is planning to offer this service. I don't know of other
>companies that are offering this.
>http://www.callwithus.com/
>
>They say:-
>" Coming soon.
>SIP over VPN. Some ISP block VOIP traffic to push their own VOIP
>services to customers. We offer VPN (virtual private network)
>connection to our server to avoid provider's blocks. Stay connected!
>We expect a high success rate. Contact us if you wish to participate
>in beta-testing of SIP over VPN service. "
>The UK rate is US1.2c/min ( equivalent to 0.62p/min at current
>exchange rates).


This is also another possible solution. I've not tried it yet but it
looks interesting.
http://www.realtunnel.com/index.jsp?page=Sip
It is intended to work, afaik, with a soft phone only, x-lite I think.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ross Beer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2007
Hana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this has been asked before and I've been reading past posts but
> I can't see that anyone has managed to use an ATA for this purpose.
>
> I have bought a Linksys SPA2000 and a cordless VOIP phone for my
> daughter and I'm hoping to be able to set this up for her when she goes
> back to Uni next week.
>
> Can someone please tell me whether this would be possible in a halls of
> residence situation that has only 1 ethernet cable connection per room.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Hana
>


Hi,

A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

As someone has mentioned, you will require a hub/switch if the ATA/Phone
does not have one built in, to allow multiple devices to connect to
the network.

Ross

-----------------------
Ross Beer BSc
VoiceHost Support
W:www.voicehost.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2007
Ross Beer wrote:
>
> A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
> need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
> and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
> service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.



Yes.

And if they only allow one registered mac per room, then use something
link an SPA-2102 which has a nat router, and you can change its mac address.

Tim
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2007
Tim wrote :
> Ross Beer wrote:
>>
>> A lot of universities do allow VoIP however the device would probably
>> need to be registered to allow it on the network. Normally this is free
>> and only requires the MAC address of the device, see the Universities IT
>> service desk for more info. They are normally very helpful.

>
>
> Yes.
>
> And if they only allow one registered mac per room, then use something
> link an SPA-2102 which has a nat router, and you can change its mac address.
>
> Tim


Which also has a 10/100Mb WAN port, as we know (if you're the same Tim
I think you are...)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to find directory of package residence from within package? Krishna Chaitanya Perl Misc 5 04-03-2009 05:19 PM
hi, Amazing Offer Quality Residence , dont miss it john.abhraham@gmail.com Digital Photography 1 03-30-2006 08:33 PM
Problem with my residence's commercial cable connection EnzoGG@gmail.com Computer Support 6 11-12-2005 06:41 AM
Ultra ATA/100 HDD on a Ultra ATA/33 motherboard Prinxce of Darkxness Computer Support 3 01-06-2004 05:36 PM
ATA 133 HD on a ATA 100 Board buffy Computer Support 2 12-23-2003 03:39 PM



Advertisments