Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > BT Broadband & lnksys PAP2

BT Broadband & lnksys PAP2

olavtheviking

I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as
wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I hav
connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksy
router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadban
dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady etherne
LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered i
anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings o
configurations required?
Many thanks
Graha

--
olavtheviking

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh olavtheviking:
> I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
> wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
> connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
> router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
> dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady
> ethernet LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter.
> Wondered if anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
> configurations required?
> Many thanks
> Graham

Before you get a dial-tone* and Line LEDs to light up you need to enter
the VoIP account details for the VoIP Service you are using.

*Unless set up to allow a dial-tone even when not registered.

Jono

olavtheviking explained :
> I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
> wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
> connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
> router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
> dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady ethernet
> LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
> anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
> configurations required?
> Many thanks
> Graham

Are/were you under the impression that merely plugging the PAP2 into a
BT Broadband connection will somehow allow you to use VoIP...?

Without configuring the device with your VoIP provider's credentials,
it's not going to work.

You get to the settings pages by opening a browser of a PC connected to
the same network as the PAP2 & typing
<http://IPADDRESSOFPAP2/admin/advanced>

If you are unsure of its IP address, pick up a phone connected to it &
dial ****, wait for the voice prompt & dial 110# (That's assuming the
PAP2 has the same IVR as other Linksys/Sipura products that I'm more
familiar with)

If I've misunderstood your question, I apologise.

Graham

"olavtheviking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
> wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
> connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
> router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
> dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady ethernet
> LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
> anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
> configurations required?
> Many thanks
> Graham
>

> --
> olavtheviking

You don't say what configuration you have done to the PAP2
If you are expecting a dial tone out of the box, you wont get one.
Connect a phone and dial **** (four stars)
A voice responce should announce "configuration menu"
now dial 110# and write down the IP address.
Now open a web-browser on a computer on your network
and browse to that address.

Come back when you have got that far
BTW there are better ways of reading and posting to Usenet
Newsgroups than the method you are using.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

After getting your ip address and logging on to your PAP2 You will have to
find a voip supplier, Wow lots to take your pick from, I use sipdiscount BUT
there are many many more with deals that may fit your needs better.
Then I found this site helpful getting those settings into the PAP2
http://www.mywebcalls.com/rm/linksys_pap2.html

Good luck
I have never seen it work on telephone supplied Internet service!

Opeel

"olavtheviking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
> wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
> connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
> router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
> dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady ethernet
> LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
> anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
> configurations required?
> Many thanks
> Graham
>

> --
> olavtheviking

olavtheviking

Graham Wrote:
> "olavtheviking" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
> message news(E-Mail Removed)...-
>
> I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
> wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
> connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
> router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
> dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a stead
> ethernet
> LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
> anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
> configurations required?
> Many thanks
> Graham
>

> --
> olavtheviking-
>
> You don't say what configuration you have done to the PAP2
> If you are expecting a dial tone out of the box, you wont get one.
> Connect a phone and dial **** (four stars)
> A voice responce should announce "configuration menu"
> now dial 110# and write down the IP address.
> Now open a web-browser on a computer on your network
> and browse to that address.
>
> Come back when you have got that far
> BTW there are better ways of reading and posting to Usenet
> Newsgroups than the method you are using.
> --
>
> Graham.
> %Profound_observation%

Graham, thanks for your reply,
I have entered in some details to my router, info I obtained from th
user guide CD bundled with the phone adaptor, this was in the 'por
forwarding' settings - 5060-5061, 53-53, 69-69 & 10000-20000 all UDP
I have tried, as you suggest, dialling **** but no response tried
other analogue phones also on both ports also with no response - a goo
start?! Have contacted Linksys and they say the unit may be faulty
replacement is to be sent out to me!
Could you explain more about the methods of reading and posting t
Usenet newsgroups please?
Regards
Graha

--
olavtheviking

speckled hen

><)))'> Orange Peel <'(((>< wrote:

> After getting your ip address and logging on to your PAP2 You will have to
> find a voip supplier, Wow lots to take your pick from, I use sipdiscount BUT
> there are many many more with deals that may fit your needs better.
> Then I found this site helpful getting those settings into the PAP2
> http://www.mywebcalls.com/rm/linksys_pap2.html
>
> Good luck
> I have never seen it work on telephone supplied Internet service!
>
> Opeel
>
> "olavtheviking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I have recently purchased an unlocked Linksys PAP2 voip adaptor, as I
> > wish to use BT BB talk, using my Bt broadband connection, I have
> > connected this device as per the set up instructions to my Linksys
> > router (wireless G Gateway, model WPC54G) Alas there is no broadband
> > dial tone on the phone? I have a steady power LED and a steady ethernet
> > LED but no phone 1 or phone 2 LED on the voip adapter. Wondered if
> > anyone may be able to help out? are any other settings or
> > configurations required?
> > Many thanks
> > Graham
> >

> > --
> > olavtheviking

If you have got BB talk you will not need a voip supplier, you already
have BT.
I will look out how to configure the linksys adaptor, although it has
been discussed here before, so a search may help
I have a similar set up with BB talk and linksys adaptor, works well.

speckled hen

That is worrying. Try http://192.168.0.6

> Could you explain more about the methods of reading and posting to
> Usenet newsgroups please?

Sites like www.broadbandbanter.co.uk present Usenet posts as if they
were_just another_web_forum, in much the same way as Google Groups
do, but at least Google have inherited the task of archiving our scratchings
for posterity.

In fact, Usenet has nothing at all to do with the World Wide Web, it
pre-dates its invention.

In some ways its like email, but broadcast to everyone who "subscribes"
to a given Newsgroup.

You need a newsreader. If you are using Windows, you already have
one, Outlook Express. Your ISP will probably have a News Server
for you to use, and its URL or IP address is probably the only thing
you need to put into the News account in OE.
Be warned though, some ISPs Newsservers are dire, like mine (Tiscali).
That's why I use an independent one, news.datemas.de
Its free, but it does require you to authenticate and it takes them a
couple of days to email you a password.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Paul

olavtheviking wrote:
[snip]
> Graham, thanks for your reply,
> I have entered in some details to my router, info I obtained from the
> user guide CD bundled with the phone adaptor, this was in the 'port
> forwarding' settings - 5060-5061, 53-53, 69-69 & 10000-20000 all UDP
> I have tried, as you suggest, dialling **** but no response tried 2
> other analogue phones also on both ports also with no response - a good
> start?! Have contacted Linksys and they say the unit may be faulty a
> replacement is to be sent out to me!
> Could you explain more about the methods of reading and posting to
> Usenet newsgroups please?
> Regards
> Graham

How are you connecting the phones to the PAP2? Presumably the phones
have normal BT sockets on them and the PAP2 will have US-style rj-11
sockets. What adaptor(s) are you using?

cheers,
Paul.

Unlocking linksys PAP2 Shaker VOIP 7 05-23-2010 01:37 PM
Linksys PAP2 locked to Vonage, support people funny Kyler Laird VOIP 55 03-25-2005 08:05 AM
Linksys PAP2 hack? Ghazan Haider VOIP 5 03-18-2005 08:02 AM
PAP2 disconnect DSL Modem imatrljan VOIP 0 03-12-2005 08:03 AM

Advertisments