Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Porting Vonage numbers

Reply
Thread Tools

Porting Vonage numbers

 
 
Herman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2007
Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's see
if it stays that way!

--



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
N.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2007
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:53:20 GMT, "Herman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's see
>if it stays that way!

Hi Herman could you please tell us how you went about it .
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Herman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 19:53:20 GMT, "Herman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Vonage number apparently succesfully ported to voip.co.uk today. Let's
>>see
>>if it stays that way!

> Hi Herman could you please tell us how you went about it .


From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
to Gamma).

Oh it did also take a bit of chasing, but it was the holidays.

My only doubt is that the Vonage account still shows as active, so I have
sent them a cancellation e-mail now just to be sure...


 
Reply With Quote
 
n.dexter@blueyonder.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:34:15 GMT, "Herman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
>form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
>carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
>to Gamma).


Thanks for info Herman I will give it a go no point in paying for
Vonage now my Freetalk contract is at an end , I still reckon Vonage
are the best in the business providing you can make full use of the
free calls.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Herman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:34:15 GMT, "Herman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>From my side, raising a ticket with voip.co.uk and filling out a porting
>>form. I believe it is also simple for voip.co.uk (as it was the same
>>carrier) and I believe they handled it directly (rather than passing it on
>>to Gamma).

>
> Thanks for info Herman I will give it a go no point in paying for
> Vonage now my Freetalk contract is at an end , I still reckon Vonage
> are the best in the business providing you can make full use of the
> free calls.


I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is the
solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
VoIP (reliability etc.)

However, if you don't mind tinkering AND want to save more money, there are
better solutions out there. For me, it is cheaper to use an ATA with
multiple SIP accounts which I can route transparently. That way I can take
advantage of the Finarea offerings and change as the deals change. And I
still have a reliable VoIP-in account through voip.co.uk.

BTW, there are probably other providers out there using Gamma which it would
work for (in theory).


 
Reply With Quote
 
n.dexter@blueyonder.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:14:00 GMT, "Herman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
>all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is the
>solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
>VoIP (reliability etc.)


My first steps into the world of VOIP where not very happy ones thanks
to a certain subscriber to this forum who spoke extremely highly of a
certain VOIP provider that my experience of them told me they where
total RUBBISH .Had the thought not come to me that I had started of at
the extreme rock bottom which subsequent events confirmed that my
thoughts where correct I could very easily have given up and stuck
with fixed lines . Quite a few people here mentioned voipfone.co.uk
at the time and I signed up with them and have never looked back I
also got a line from voip.co.uk who are ok and I am still using the
line but I just do not think they are quite has professional in many
ways as voipfone .
ON the other hand Vonage do provide a very good service and even at
7.99 a month with all free UK calls thrown in, even if you only make
one or two calls in a month Vonage just has to be a minimum of three
pounds a month cheaper than BT and Telewest .
 
Reply With Quote
 
Herman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 10:14:00 GMT, "Herman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I think it all depends what you want. If you want an out of the box
>>all-in-one solution that you don't mind paying extra for then Vonage is
>>the
>>solution. This was what I wanted at first to prove the concept of using
>>VoIP (reliability etc.)

>
> My first steps into the world of VOIP where not very happy ones thanks
> to a certain subscriber to this forum who spoke extremely highly of a
> certain VOIP provider that my experience of them told me they where
> total RUBBISH .Had the thought not come to me that I had started of at
> the extreme rock bottom which subsequent events confirmed that my
> thoughts where correct I could very easily have given up and stuck
> with fixed lines . Quite a few people here mentioned voipfone.co.uk
> at the time and I signed up with them and have never looked back I
> also got a line from voip.co.uk who are ok and I am still using the
> line but I just do not think they are quite has professional in many
> ways as voipfone .
> ON the other hand Vonage do provide a very good service and even at
> 7.99 a month with all free UK calls thrown in, even if you only make
> one or two calls in a month Vonage just has to be a minimum of three
> pounds a month cheaper than BT and Telewest .


Like I say, depends what you want. If you want a feature-packed landline
replacement either as a primary or second line, Vonage is the best value
solution (number portability being the big issue). If you want a cheap VoIP
line (and are OK to play about with configuration) go for one or more of the
cheaper services. That's why I like the FritzBox - you can pick and choose
who you use dependent on value and performance.

Regarding Sipgate, I won't express an opinion, as I hope we can avoid going
over old ground... Suffice it to say I'd prefer not to have another thread
hijacked by a rather polar argument between you and Ivor... Any regular
posters will already have their opinions by now.



 
Reply With Quote
 
n.dexter@blueyonder.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:41:39 GMT, "Herman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>Regarding Sipgate, I won't express an opinion, as I hope we can avoid going
>over old ground... Suffice it to say I'd prefer not to have another thread
>hijacked by a rather polar argument between you and Ivor... Any regular
>posters will already have their opinions by now.
>
>

You mentioned the S word I didn't Herman I don't use expletives at the
weekend ))))))))))))))))))))).
 
Reply With Quote
 
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
Thus spaketh http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:41:39 GMT, "Herman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>> Regarding Sipgate, I won't express an opinion, as I hope we can
>> avoid going over old ground... Suffice it to say I'd prefer not to
>> have another thread hijacked by a rather polar argument between you
>> and Ivor... Any regular posters will already have their opinions by
>> now.
>>
>>

> You mentioned the S word I didn't Herman I don't use expletives at the
> weekend ))))))))))))))))))))).


I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other than less than
one handfull of short occassions.

My biggest annoyance with them, what really did p*ss me off, was no
longer being able to forward calls from IPKall through them.

I have a good number with Sipgate, now if I could port that number away,
I may well do, but who's to say the company I port to won't increase
their prices or go out the market and Sipgate continues to.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-06-2007
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
wrote in message
news:nnPnh.26453$(E-Mail Removed) .uk

[snip]

> I have to admit, Sipgate has been pretty reliable, other
> than less than one handfull of short occassions.
>
> My biggest annoyance with them, what really did p*ss me
> off, was no longer being able to forward calls from
> IPKall through them.


Yes that annoyed me too, there are moves underway to rectify the problem,
but I don't know the current status. I currently forward my IPKall numbers
to FWD accounts, which come in as extra accounts on my Fritz!Box and route
to the same phones as they did when routed to Sipgate. The FWD numbers
also have the advantage of giving free access to US 1-800 freephone
numbers.

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage Graham. UK VOIP 1 02-11-2010 07:49 PM
Re: Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage Gordon Henderson UK VOIP 0 02-11-2010 03:01 PM
Porting Vonage to voip.co.uk Herman UK VOIP 14 03-28-2007 07:02 AM
Porting VOIP numbers Matt UK VOIP 10 04-25-2006 09:54 AM
Why is porting numbers such an issue? Al Puzzuoli VOIP 49 02-16-2005 10:24 PM



Advertisments