Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype Adapter

Skype Adapter

Dan Wood

Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
> I know some people here do not like Skype.
>
> Putting that to one side!
>
> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
> plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make phone
> calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
>
> Thanx

AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .

I have used a Trust ST-1200 to connect a 'normal' phone to Skype. It
works well enough, but I soon decided I didn't like Skype and got myself
an IP telephone!

See http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14485 for details
of this device. I'm glad they updated the page. When I bought mine it
talked about being a 'VoIP' device with no mention of having to use
Skype. At least they seem to have come clean now!

Cheers,
Dan.

Nick

"Phil Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:53:01 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >The DualPhone 3088.

> can you plug a normal phone into that ?
>
> Phil
> --
>
> Usenet spam eaten by a Hamster http://www.tglsoft.de/
> No more cable clowns )
> Please do not feed or re-quote the trolls.

Why would you want to?
Studying a picture of the said device on the following site;
http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...lphone-3088/p1
you could incorporate a normal phone/fax with the use of an adaptor.

Any comments on the unit Ivor?

Peter Watson

Nick wrote:
> "Phil Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:53:01 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The DualPhone 3088.

>> can you plug a normal phone into that ?

> Why would you want to?

The OP specifically requested a box that a wired phone can be plugged
into - Perhaps to intercept all existing extensions and allow all the
phone in the house to make Skype or POTS calls?

> Studying a picture of the said device on the following site;
> http://www.trustedreviews.com/networ...lphone-3088/p1
> you could incorporate a normal phone/fax with the use of an adaptor.

The normal phone/fax would only have access the the POTS line.

I read the original post that the OP is hunting for the Skype equivalent
of a standard VOIP ATA ie FXO port for POTS line, FXS port for wired
phones and ethernet for Skype.

Peter

www.simcard.me.uk

"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Putting that to one side!
>>
>> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal
>> phone into which plugs into a standard phone socket and
>> my router allowing me to make phone calls either via the
>> standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
>> Thanx

>>No. That's why we don't like Skype..!
>>
>>Ivor
>>

> Ignoring Ivor's rather unhelpful, and incorrect response, you can get
> a phone which does not require your PC to be on - as long as you have
> a wireless router.
>
> Netgear SPH101 SKYPE WiFi Phone.
>
> Price is 123.94 inc VAT
>
> http://www.ekind.co.uk/Inu_products/...p?ref=20322508
>
> Me

You can also get Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone which does not need a
pc

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim

Nick

"Dan Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:458e5f6e$0$8730$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
> > I know some people here do not like Skype.
> >
> > Putting that to one side!
> >
> > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
> > plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make

phone
> > calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
> >
> > Thanx
> >

> AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .

The RTX Dualphone 3088 doesn't require a PC, doesn't require wireless,
and gives you a cordless phone that will place Skype calls as well as
standard land line calls.

Jono

Nick laid this down on his screen :
> "Dan Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:458e5f6e$0$8730$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
>>> I know some people here do not like Skype.
>>>
>>> Putting that to one side!
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
>>> plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make phone
>>> calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a PC?
>>>
>>> Thanx
>>>

>> AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .

> The RTX Dualphone 3088 doesn't require a PC, doesn't require wireless,
> and gives you a cordless phone that will place Skype calls as well as
> standard land line calls.

Although it looks a nice piece of kit & surely does what you say, it
doesn't allow the connection of standard analogue phones, as was the
OP's request.

Ethel The Other Frog

"Dan Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:458e5f6e$0$8730$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Etthel The Other Frog wrote:
>> I know some people here do not like Skype.
>>
>> Putting that to one side!
>>
>> Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into which
>> plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to make
>> phone calls either via the standard line or Skype without the need for a
>> PC?
>>
>> Thanx

> AFAIK, there's nothing to allow this *without a PC* .
>
> I have used a Trust ST-1200 to connect a 'normal' phone to Skype. It works
> well enough, but I soon decided I didn't like Skype and got myself an IP
> telephone!
>

> See http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14485 for details of
> this device. I'm glad they updated the page. When I bought mine it talked
> about being a 'VoIP' device with no mention of having to use Skype. At
> least they seem to have come clean now!
>
> Cheers,
> Dan.

Ok - many thanks - I have found one of these for 9:50 on Amazon so I have
ordered it - I know it means I will have to leave a PC on all the time - but
I do anyway so I will give it a try!

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 11:11:12 GMT, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Why would you want to?

that's the OP's question

"Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a normal phone into
which plugs into a standard phone socket and my router allowing me to
make phone calls either via the standard line or Skype without the
need for a PC?"

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Ivor Jones

"www.simcard.me.uk" <webmaster@(REMOVETHESPAM)tariff.me.uk>
wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> You can also get Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone
> which does not need a pc

But it is not an ATA into which a normal phone can be plugged, which is
what the OP specifically asked for.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

news:emkfr7$fsv$1$(E-Mail Removed)
> On 2006-12-23, Ivor Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "Etthel The Other Frog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:458d8e45$0$32014$(E-Mail Removed)
> > > I know some people here do not like Skype.
> > >
> > > Putting that to one side!
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of an adapter that I can plug a
> > > normal phone into which plugs into a standard phone
> > > socket and my router allowing me to make phone calls
> > > either via the standard line or Skype without the
> > > need for a PC?
> > > Thanx

> > No. That's why we don't like Skype..!

> We?

You think I'm the only one..? Read back over the time this group has been
around.

Ivor