Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > iax voipcheap.com

iax voipcheap.com

ŽStephen Hammond

Apparently iax is better is it possible to use iax with voipcheap.com ?

Ivor Jones

"ŽStephen Hammond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:elnaqd$f85$1$(E-Mail Removed)
> Apparently iax is better is it possible to use iax with
> voipcheap.com ?

IAX is better for what..? IAX stands for Inter-Asterisk-eXchange and is
used for talking between/to/from Asterisk boxes.

However, while it is theoretically easier to set up, in that it only uses
a single port (usually 4569) rather than the myriad of port numbers used
by SIP, it isn't necessarily "better" as such. I and a friend in North
Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone level trying to
figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is suffering no end of problems
connecting to his Asterisk PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working
fine..!

Ivor

David Quinton

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:59:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I and a friend in North
>Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone level trying to
>figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is suffering no end of problems
>connecting to his Asterisk PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working
>fine..!

Can your friend connect to it locally using IAX?
--
Locate your Mobile phone: <http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html>
Great gifts: <http://www.ThisBritain.com/ASOS_popup.html>

Ivor Jones

"David Quinton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:59:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I and a friend in North
> > Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone
> > level trying to figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is
> > suffering no end of problems connecting to his Asterisk
> > PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working fine..!

> Can your friend connect to it locally using IAX?

Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.

The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
manufacturers.

Ivor

Tim

Ivor Jones wrote:
> Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
> http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
> exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.
>
> The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
> manufacturers.

IAX is very proprietary.

Even though the source code is open, it is still a specific to asterisk
thing.

Tim

Ivor Jones

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45801dee$0$623$(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in
> > the IAX ATA -
> > http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone
> > else is having exactly the same problem connected to a
> > totally different Asterisk box.
> >
> > The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on
> > a reply from the manufacturers.

> IAX is very proprietary.
>
> Even though the source code is open, it is still a
> specific to asterisk thing.

Maybe that's why it's called Inter-ASTERISK-eXchange

If anyone's interested, the system we're using is CNET (see www.ckts.info)

Ivor

Thomas Kenyon

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "David Quinton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:59:14 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I and a friend in North
>>> Wales are currently scratching our fingers down to bone
>>> level trying to figure out why an IAX ATA at my end is
>>> suffering no end of problems connecting to his Asterisk
>>> PBX whereas a similar SIP unit is working fine..!

>> Can your friend connect to it locally using IAX?

> Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
> http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
> exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.
>
> The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
> manufacturers.

Have you tried the manufacturers forums?

http://bbs.pa1688.com/ (I know it's not a PA1688-based ATA, but that's
just the url of the site).

Ivor Jones

"Thomas Kenyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:QGYfh.6431$(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

> > The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on
> > a reply from the manufacturers.
> >

> Have you tried the manufacturers forums?
>
> http://bbs.pa1688.com/ (I know it's not a PA1688-based
> ATA, but that's just the url of the site).

Yes, already looked there. Nothing specific to our problem. It doesn't
help that CNET isn't exactly a mainstream use of VoIP..!

Ivor

David Cook

Ivor Jones wrote:

> Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in the IAX ATA -
> http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone else is having
> exactly the same problem connected to a totally different Asterisk box.
>
> The device is very new on the market, we're waiting on a reply from the
> manufacturers.
>

> Ivor

Try IDEFISK from http://www.asteriskguru.com. If this works then
unfortunately it is your ATA.

Best regards.

Ivor Jones

"David Cook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4581b821$0$761$(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> >
> > Yes. We're beginning to think it's a firmware bug in
> > the IAX ATA -
> > http://www.atcom.cn/En_products_AG188.html as someone
> > else is having exactly the same problem connected to a
> > totally different Asterisk box. The device is very new on the market,
> > we're waiting on
> > a reply from the manufacturers.

> Try IDEFISK from http://www.asteriskguru.com. If this
> works then unfortunately it is your ATA.

Thanks, I'll give that a look. The problem is, some of the trouble we're
having is intermittent, i.e. a call attempt will fail two or three times,
then succeed on the next try.

Ivor