Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIPcheap and PAP2 configuration

VOIPcheap and PAP2 configuration

Stan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:14:10 UTC, "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:

> > Username -- the one that gets me into their website
> > Password -- ditto
> > Proxy -- sip.voipcheam.com
> > STUN server -- stun.voipcheap.com
> >
> >> Also proxy: where you enter sip.voipcheap.com if using the .com
> >> version of VoIPCheap or sip.voipcheap.co.uk if using the .UK version

> Can you do it that way now?
> When I set up my Asterisk box for voipcheap.co.uk and voipcheap.com
> I had to use sip.voipSTUNT.co.uk for both services.
> Thats still the way its set up.

The way he has written it is the same as VOIPcheap writes it in their
instructions.

Brian

On 2006-12-09, Stan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This is a question that hasn't been answered yet. The only <Domain>
> option I have found seems clearly to want the domain of my LAN
> (judging from the context in which it appears). I do not think that
> this is what VOIPcheap is talking about in its instructions, because
> it has nothing to do with IP telephony, and because it is certainly
> not optional, as their instructions say. Yet they suggest a string to
> enter there. What option are they talking about?

The Domain/Realm setting that VoipCheap mention is not one that can be
set on a PAP2 as there is no option for it. You can forget about it.

The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

> So everything is as it should be, except that I don't get a dialtone.

In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
know registration has taken place?

> I notice that there is an option for using <Outgoing proxy>, which I
> have turned off because VOIPcheap doesn't mention it. Should it be
> turned on?

No. It not required.

Brian.

Brian

On 2006-12-09, Stan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[Snip]

> In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
> non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
> any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

I am not familiar with what documentation comes with the PAP2T but you
could go to http://www.sipura.com/support/index.htm and look at what is
there for the SPA 2100. I supect the manual you got is practically
identical to the Sipura one but the FAQ might help.

If you want a more detailed description of the meaning of a particular
option than the manual gives you will need to use a search engine. Or,
as a first port of call, voxilla.com has a really useful Linksys/Sipura
forum.

Brian.

Stan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:38:21 UTC, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> On 2006-12-09, Stan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > This is a question that hasn't been answered yet. The only <Domain>
> > option I have found seems clearly to want the domain of my LAN
> > (judging from the context in which it appears). I do not think that
> > this is what VOIPcheap is talking about in its instructions, because
> > it has nothing to do with IP telephony, and because it is certainly
> > not optional, as their instructions say. Yet they suggest a string to
> > enter there. What option are they talking about?

> The Domain/Realm setting that VoipCheap mention is not one that can be
> set on a PAP2 as there is no option for it. You can forget about it.

Good to know. Thank you.

> The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
> you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
> with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

Actually, they are needed for my LAN. It was clear that they have
nothing to do with making telephone calls.

> > So everything is as it should be, except that I don't get a dialtone.

> In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
> know registration has taken place?

My username and password get me into their website. Once I'm there, I
can enter an area specific to my account, it knows my name, and it
tells me how much money I've given them for credits.

> > I notice that there is an option for using <Outgoing proxy>, which I
> > have turned off because VOIPcheap doesn't mention it. Should it be
> > turned on?

> No. It not required.

Then I am still in the dark about why I can't connect.

Tomorrow I'll make a text file of the configuration. If anybody thinks
viewing it will help diagnose the problem, I will be happy to send it.
I am too new here to know if posting it on the forum is permissible.

> Brian.

Stan

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:10:57 UTC, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> On 2006-12-09, Stan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > In addition to the above, I am flummoxed by many of the
> > non-intuitively named options for the device. The PAP2T came without
> > any information on that level; is there somewhere that defines them?

> I am not familiar with what documentation comes with the PAP2T but you
> could go to http://www.sipura.com/support/index.htm and look at what is
> there for the SPA 2100. I supect the manual you got is practically
> identical to the Sipura one but the FAQ might help.
>
> If you want a more detailed description of the meaning of a particular
> option than the manual gives you will need to use a search engine. Or,
> as a first port of call, voxilla.com has a really useful Linksys/Sipura
> forum.

Many thanks for both hints.

> Brian.

Brian

On 2006-12-09, Stan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:38:21 UTC, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
>> The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
>> you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
>> with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

> Actually, they are needed for my LAN. It was clear that they have
> nothing to do with making telephone calls.

I really should have said my network gets by without my doing anything
special with those two settings, although I do note that Host Name in
the System Information is SipuraSPA. Anyway, I cannot see a pressing
need to designate a domain so it would be useful to know why you have a
requirement for HostName/Domain.

>> In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
>> know registration has taken place?

> My username and password get me into their website. Once I'm there, I
> can enter an area specific to my account, it knows my name, and it
> tells me how much money I've given them for credits.

Is it possible you are confusing registration of the account, personal
details, credit etc, with registration of the phone? To keep it simple:
the User ID and password on Line 1 are sent to sip.voipcheap.com, the
proxy, which verifies whether you have an account with credit in it and
at the same time records the IP of the ATA so it knows where to send
incoming calls.

Having authenticated you a message is sent to the PAPT2 saying you can
make calls. This appears in System Information as Registration State:
Registered. You need to have the Register: setting for Line 1 set to
'yes' and refreshing the web page is normally needed to see any change
to the System Information. With a successful registration there is a
dial tone.

[Snip]

> Tomorrow I'll make a text file of the configuration. If anybody thinks
> viewing it will help diagnose the problem, I will be happy to send it.
> I am too new here to know if posting it on the forum is permissible.

Viewing it would very helpful. I cannot envisage anyone objecting. Now
you'll not forget to replace password with xxxxx will you?

Brian.

Graham

> There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
> standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
> answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
> information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
> parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
> it.

No. The PAP2 *is* the telco, (in that it simulates an exchange line).
The CLID settings simply have to match the telephones you are
connecting to the FXS ports. For UK phones this is
ETSI FSK with PR.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Graham:
>> There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
>> standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
>> answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
>> information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
>> parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
>> it.

> No. The PAP2 *is* the telco, (in that it simulates an exchange line).
> The CLID settings simply have to match the telephones you are
> connecting to the FXS ports. For UK phones this is
> ETSI FSK with PR.

Caller ID FSK Standard: v.23

FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF

Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Stan

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:12:15 UTC, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> On 2006-12-09, Stan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:38:21 UTC, Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> >> The HostName/Domain combination in System Configuration is not anything
> >> you need concern yourself with. As you have figured out, it is to do
> >> with your network not VoipCheap's. Leaving the two fields blank is fine.

> > Actually, they are needed for my LAN. It was clear that they have
> > nothing to do with making telephone calls.

> I really should have said my network gets by without my doing anything
> special with those two settings, although I do note that Host Name in
> the System Information is SipuraSPA. Anyway, I cannot see a pressing
> need to designate a domain so it would be useful to know why you have a
> requirement for HostName/Domain.
>
> >> In other post you mention being registered to sip.voipcheap.com. How do
> >> know registration has taken place?

> > My username and password get me into their website. Once I'm there, I
> > can enter an area specific to my account, it knows my name, and it
> > tells me how much money I've given them for credits.

> Is it possible you are confusing registration of the account, personal
> details, credit etc, with registration of the phone? To keep it simple:
> the User ID and password on Line 1 are sent to sip.voipcheap.com, the
> proxy, which verifies whether you have an account with credit in it and
> at the same time records the IP of the ATA so it knows where to send
> incoming calls.

AHA!!! THAT is what I have been after. That is what has not been done.

Why it has not been done is that, in its instructions
<http://voipcheap.com/en/sip.html>, a printed copy of which is lying
before me even as I write, there is no mention of this, or of how to
do it. Nor does the FAQ say anything about it. It is a well-kept
secret. How must I go about registering the ATA?

> Having authenticated you a message is sent to the PAPT2 saying you can
> make calls. This appears in System Information as Registration State:
> Registered. You need to have the Register: setting for Line 1 set to
> 'yes' and refreshing the web page is normally needed to see any change
> to the System Information. With a successful registration there is a
> dial tone.
>
> [Snip]
>
> > Tomorrow I'll make a text file of the configuration. If anybody thinks
> > viewing it will help diagnose the problem, I will be happy to send it.
> > I am too new here to know if posting it on the forum is permissible.

> Viewing it would very helpful. I cannot envisage anyone objecting. Now
> you'll not forget to replace password with xxxxx will you?

The passwords don't show up in the printout.

> Brian.

Stan

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 00:25:01 UTC, "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:

> > There are options such as <Caller ID method> which must depend on the
> > standards of the local telco, and that I must consult with them for
> > answers (I do not want to bet on my chances of getting such
> > information). If someone knows about a source that defines these
> > parameters for various countries, I hope he will offer a pointer to
> > it.

> No. The PAP2 *is* the telco, (in that it simulates an exchange line).
> The CLID settings simply have to match the telephones you are
> connecting to the FXS ports. For UK phones this is
> ETSI FSK with PR.

No, I meant the TELCO. I am not in the UK, and I do not know what
settings the company uses, thus I have no clue what settings are
required for the telephone instruments offered for sale. But a little
experimentation will discover what the phones want.

PAP2 configuration Rich UK VOIP 14 05-20-2007 06:46 PM
Voipcheap.co.uk -> "Sorry - VoipCheap temporarily unavailable" News Reader UK VOIP 0 11-26-2006 07:27 AM
voipcheap.com and voipcheap.co.uk - comparison Paul UK VOIP 2 09-04-2006 12:58 PM
Help saving PAP2 configuration settings Joe UK VOIP 6 10-26-2005 12:21 PM
PAP2 and Sipura 3000 and the * key Sparks UK VOIP 1 10-20-2005 12:15 PM

Advertisments