Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > RFI: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - Round Up

RFI: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - Round Up

News Reader

Hi,

Please, forgive my enquiring on this point (again), however, I am now quite
seriously thinking about switching to a primary VoIP ATA configuration and
wish to try and identify the best (priced) all UK landline calls inclusive
VoIP operator, supplier, package, etc.

Please advise all known candidates - emphasising those which are cheap cheap
cheap (!) - lol.

Please be aware - that I am interested in genuinely unlimited (albeit
accepting a fair use limitation - but not Betamax 300 minutes) UK landline
calls packages. I am aware of Vonage and am not impressed by their price.

I really appreciate and look forward to your input(s).

Best wishes,

News Reader

News Reader

One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages is
that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish to be
able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.

I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make much
greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this case -
because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become the
limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many 100s of
calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
appropriate and fair use of course).

Thanks in advance.

BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel inclined
to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something different
or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage profile
[above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend calls]).

"News Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:el9ke4$ehq$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Please, forgive my enquiring on this point (again), however, I am now

quite
> seriously thinking about switching to a primary VoIP ATA configuration and
> wish to try and identify the best (priced) all UK landline calls inclusive
> VoIP operator, supplier, package, etc.
>
> Please advise all known candidates - emphasising those which are cheap

cheap
> cheap (!) - lol.
>
> Please be aware - that I am interested in genuinely unlimited (albeit
> accepting a fair use limitation - but not Betamax 300 minutes) UK landline
> calls packages. I am aware of Vonage and am not impressed by their price.
>
> I really appreciate and look forward to your input(s).
>

> Best wishes,
>

> News Reader

Paul Cupis

News Reader wrote:
> One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages is
> that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish to be
> able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
> dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.
>
> I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make much
> greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
> comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this case -
> because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become the
> limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many 100s of
> calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
> appropriate and fair use of course).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel inclined
> to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something different
> or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage profile
> [above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend calls]).

I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
demand.

You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_=3B=AC=29=22?=

Paul Cupis wrote:

> You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
> usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
> in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
> "unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
> company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

For all their sins, I was using TalkTalk 3 (unlimited free calls) with
per/second billing on chargeable calls for ony as few quid a month more
than vonage. (plus obligatory line rental of course)

I think the OP is having a bit of a laff. Besides, who wants to talk for
more than 5 hours a week anyway, and even after 5hrs in 7 days the p/cal
rate is still the best there is from the .com service IMHO.

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Brian A

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>News Reader wrote:
>> One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages is
>> that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish to be
>> able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
>> dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.
>>
>> I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make much
>> greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
>> comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this case -
>> because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become the
>> limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many 100s of
>> calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
>> appropriate and fair use of course).
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel inclined
>> to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something different
>> or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage profile
>> [above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend calls]).

>I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
>for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
>demand.
>
>You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
>usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
>in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
>"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
>company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for 8/month.
At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
There's 2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
voip.co.uk
Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
sea.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

News Reader

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >News Reader wrote:
> >> One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages

is
> >> that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish

to be
> >> able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
> >> dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.
> >>
> >> I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make

much
> >> greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
> >> comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this

case -
> >> because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become

the
> >> limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many

100s of
> >> calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
> >> appropriate and fair use of course).
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel

inclined
> >> to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something

different
> >> or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage

profile
> >> [above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend

calls]).

> >I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
> >for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
> >demand.
> >
> >You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
> >usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
> >in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
> >"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
> >company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

> I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
> Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
> comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
> Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for 8/month.
> At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
> There's 2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
> duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
> voip.co.uk
> Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
> sea.
>
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Hi,

All good points - all welcomed and all appreciated.

I think you are all right.

The reality may be either paying a little more for the unlimited package or
try to constrain usage somewhat and go with a per call / per minute
approach.

I think perhaps the Betamax swim is the best offer presently.

Thanks once again - all further input and suggestions appreciated.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Paul Cupis

Brian A wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>> You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
>> usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
>> in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
>> "unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
>> company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

> I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
> Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
> comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.

It was an analogy.

andy

News Reader wrote:
> "Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > >
> > >I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
> > >for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
> > >demand.
> > >
> > >You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
> > >usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
> > >in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
> > >"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
> > >company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

> > I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
> > Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
> > comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
> > Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for 8/month.
> > At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
> > There's 2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
> > duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
> > voip.co.uk
> > Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
> > sea.

> The reality may be either paying a little more for the unlimited package or
> try to constrain usage somewhat and go with a per call / per minute
> approach.
>
> I think perhaps the Betamax swim is the best offer presently.
>
> Thanks once again - all further input and suggestions appreciated.

I don't know how much vastly increased chatting you are intending, but
I'd have thought one or two Finarea/Betamax deals or the Voip.co.uk

Temporarily, there is Babble's FreeB (trial?) offer, which is of 30
minutes a day for a one-off starter fee of 1.50, paid by p-sms. Don't
know how long it will last but they said -
"There are no plans at present to close the FreeB promotion, and all
users that sign up for FreeB will be given at least three months notice
when we do decide to stop the promotion. "

Several Australian ones with per call fees (up to an hour), like
Astratel and others I'd have to look up ...

Of course, you should persuade the people you call most to adopt VoIP
as well, and use peering for free calls. The thing is, friends will
think you're talking about Skype ...

News Reader

"andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

News Reader wrote:
> "Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > >
> > >I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
> > >for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they

will
> > >demand.
> > >
> > >You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
> > >usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the

telco -
> > >in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
> > >"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
> > >company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

> > I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
> > Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
> > comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
> > Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for 8/month.
> > At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
> > There's 2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
> > duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
> > voip.co.uk
> > Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
> > sea.

> The reality may be either paying a little more for the unlimited package

or
> try to constrain usage somewhat and go with a per call / per minute
> approach.
>
> I think perhaps the Betamax swim is the best offer presently.
>
> Thanks once again - all further input and suggestions appreciated.

I don't know how much vastly increased chatting you are intending, but
I'd have thought one or two Finarea/Betamax deals or the Voip.co.uk

Temporarily, there is Babble's FreeB (trial?) offer, which is of 30
minutes a day for a one-off starter fee of 1.50, paid by p-sms. Don't
know how long it will last but they said -
"There are no plans at present to close the FreeB promotion, and all
users that sign up for FreeB will be given at least three months notice
when we do decide to stop the promotion. "

Several Australian ones with per call fees (up to an hour), like
Astratel and others I'd have to look up ...

Of course, you should persuade the people you call most to adopt VoIP
as well, and use peering for free calls. The thing is, friends will
think you're talking about Skype ...

---

Oh how I love when OE decides to not bother indenting ... anyhoo...

I agree with your general points. Certainly, a great and nice idea to move
all onto VoIP with peering - I am sure with e164, etc. soon enough we will
all be able to dial without needing to know provider, etc. (The main issue
here is calling business / organisations - a little hard to persuade them
all [especially the ones I don't yet know I will want or need to contact or
that I will ever want or need to contact again] to move to or include VoIP
access routes ! ).

However, the particular issue here is essentially:

- calling companies / organisations - call pattern generated - combinations
of multiple short calls and multiple long calls - i.e. either short due to a
problem, menu mistake, etc. or long due to a queue or slightly longer or
more complicated query

Thus - without having to be concerned by per call cost or call length
issues - a great deal more can potentially be done without needing to
consider marginal cost, etc. It is like an enabling factor / an enabler - if
you can make that / those extra call without having to think to much about
it so much the better, etc.

Best wishes,

News Reader

P.s. I may look at some of those flag fall type operators (as you suggest
many of whom seem to operate out of Australia).
P.p.s. As you otherwise suggest, and others have suggested, a number of
Betamax accounts may help - just a little bit of faff, and you never which
destination / credit term will vary next and with multiple accounts at stake
the risk exposure is slightly greater - but with the advent of the options
as per my recent posts, this may not be such an issue really!
P.p.p.s. I am sure I found a few other genuine unlimited calls package
operators on the VoIP side before - I think every time I find them (or I am
imagining it all) it is between these posts and I fail to (remember to?)
make a record. It is slightly strange, as their seem to be an increasing
number of PSTN operators (with their far greater fixed and incumbent costs)
now effectively charging around the 3 - 5 per month mark for their UK
unlimited calls packages (so with VoIP - remote termination POPs and only
having to pay for half the leg you would have thought more would be popping
up providing this or would be available, etc. - still perhaps it is a little
early days yet ). Best wishes .

Brian A

On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 02:51:31 -0000, "News Reader" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]

>access routes ! ).
>
>However, the particular issue here is essentially:
>
> - calling companies / organisations - call pattern generated - combinations
>of multiple short calls and multiple long calls - i.e. either short due to a
>problem, menu mistake, etc. or long due to a queue or slightly longer or
>more complicated query
>
>Thus - without having to be concerned by per call cost or call length
>issues - a great deal more can potentially be done without needing to
>consider marginal cost, etc. It is like an enabling factor / an enabler - if
>you can make that / those extra call without having to think to much about
>it so much the better, etc.
>

>Best wishes,
>

>News Reader
>

>P.s. I may look at some of those flag fall type operators (as you suggest
>many of whom seem to operate out of Australia).

I use Astratel. Very good call quality.
I also now use Vyke, early days yet but it seems to be OK.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.