Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Geeks bearing gifts.

Geeks bearing gifts.

cybuerke

Sipgate have sent an email punting some goodies at what they call seasonal
gift prices. They have a Fritz!Box Fon on offer at £69 plus a tenner p&p,
which seems to be a £20 discount on their usual offer, unless these are cut
down functionality or refurbished boxes.

The thing is, I'd only want one to use it as an ATA, not as a broadband
router/modem, and I'd want to issue it one of *my* IP numbers, as I don't
use DHCP on my network. I've downloaded the online manual, but I can see no
mention of how to disable the modem or change the IP addy. In fact, the
manual is quite Teutonic - "You vill haf to use our method, or your box
vill be terrminated" style of thing.

What say you? Would I be able to do it my way, or should I leave well
alone?

"cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:el8n6r$cp9$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> Sipgate have sent an email punting some goodies at what they call seasonal
> gift prices. They have a Fritz!Box Fon on offer at £69 plus a tenner p&p,
> which seems to be a £20 discount on their usual offer, unless these are

cut
> down functionality or refurbished boxes.
>
> The thing is, I'd only want one to use it as an ATA, not as a broadband
> router/modem, and I'd want to issue it one of *my* IP numbers, as I don't
> use DHCP on my network. I've downloaded the online manual, but I can see

no
> mention of how to disable the modem or change the IP addy. In fact, the
> manual is quite Teutonic - "You vill haf to use our method, or your box
> vill be terrminated" style of thing.
>
> What say you? Would I be able to do it my way, or should I leave well
> alone?

If you want to use it as an ATA, then you much better of with the Linksys
spa 3000.
It's working fine for a couple of weeks now,and it is much cheaper too.

grtz
françois

Herman

"cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:el8n6r$cp9$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> Sipgate have sent an email punting some goodies at what they call seasonal
> gift prices. They have a Fritz!Box Fon on offer at £69 plus a tenner p&p,
> which seems to be a £20 discount on their usual offer, unless these are
> cut down functionality or refurbished boxes.
>
> The thing is, I'd only want one to use it as an ATA, not as a broadband
> router/modem, and I'd want to issue it one of *my* IP numbers, as I don't
> use DHCP on my network. I've downloaded the online manual, but I can see
> no mention of how to disable the modem or change the IP addy. In fact,
> the manual is quite Teutonic - "You vill haf to use our method, or your
> box vill be terrminated" style of thing.
>
> What say you? Would I be able to do it my way, or should I leave well
> alone?

Doing a search on Fritz in the newsgroup revealed the following thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...228c1fafdd5ad0

Ivor may be able to help as well as he has the same or a similar model. For
information though, the 7050 can handle all this.

cybuerke

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:el8qd3$qdb$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...

> "cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:el8n6r$cp9$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>> Sipgate have sent an email punting some goodies at what they call
>> seasonal
>> gift prices. They have a Fritz!Box Fon on offer at £69 plus a tenner
>> p&p,
>> which seems to be a £20 discount on their usual offer, unless these are

> cut
>> down functionality or refurbished boxes.

<snip>

> If you want to use it as an ATA, then you much better of with the Linksys
> spa 3000.
> It's working fine for a couple of weeks now,and it is much cheaper too.
>
> grtz
> françois

Yep, I'm using the SPA3K in one location, and I can't fault it. Wouldn't say
it's much cheaper than £69 though, at least, not in the UK.

Thanks to Herman for the link to another thread on this.

I've since found a review of the F!B F on another site which confirms that
what I want is 'doable', and also states that the DSL modem is less than
satisfactory other than when hooked up to a perfect landline.

Herman

"cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:elj7a6$is3$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:el8qd3$qdb$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...
>>
>> "cybuerke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:el8n6r$cp9$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
>>> Sipgate have sent an email punting some goodies at what they call
>>> seasonal
>>> gift prices. They have a Fritz!Box Fon on offer at £69 plus a tenner
>>> p&p,
>>> which seems to be a £20 discount on their usual offer, unless these are

>> cut
>>> down functionality or refurbished boxes.

> <snip>
>
>> If you want to use it as an ATA, then you much better of with the Linksys
>> spa 3000.
>> It's working fine for a couple of weeks now,and it is much cheaper too.
>>
>> grtz
>> françois

> Yep, I'm using the SPA3K in one location, and I can't fault it. Wouldn't
> say it's much cheaper than £69 though, at least, not in the UK.
>
> Thanks to Herman for the link to another thread on this.
>
> I've since found a review of the F!B F on another site which confirms that
> what I want is 'doable', and also states that the DSL modem is less than
> satisfactory other than when hooked up to a perfect landline.

Also managed to trace an e-mail conversation which was a bit clearer than I
remembered it to be.

My e-mail:

I am considering buying the above product. However I want to know if it can
handle routing all internet traffic through the LAN port connected behind
another router/modem (effectively disabling DSL). I want the flexibility to
be able to use the DSL modem or not.

I am aware that you have a non-DSL version but I want the option of using it
as my main gateway if required.

Response from AVM Sales Manager (you can probably see why I ended up buying
the 7050):

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Yes, you can plug the existing internet connection into one of the LAN ports
to use the FRITZ!Box Fon, WLAN and the 7050 as an ATA (analog terminal
adapter) for making VoIP calls. The 7050 has 2 LAN Ports

The FRITZ!Box Fon can also use an existing internet connection as a WLAN
router and IP PBX. For perfect quality of service of the VoIP Telephone
calls, connect the PCs or LAN to the LAN Port FRIZT!Box Fon Router, so that
prioritization of the VoIP packets over data packets is achieved. The
FRITZ!Box Fon 7050 is the best product we have for this situation because it
has two LAN ports, one of which is 'coverted' to a WAN port. As you
mentioned, you could also use the FRIZT!Box Fon ATA, but this does not
include the ADSL modem or the WLAN router.

The FRITZ!Box Fon products are connected to an existing Internet connection
or cable modem and configured as follows:

- Connect the cable modem to the "LAN A" port of the FRITZ!Box
- Connect your computer to the USB or other LAN port of the FRITZ!Box
- Open the FRITZ!Box configuration via http://fritz.box
- Go to Internet > Account Information
- Select options "Internet connection via LAN A" and "Establish own Internet
connection (NAT Router with PPPoE or IP)"
- Under section "Account type" enter your Internet account details (username
and password) if required or select "No account information required (IP)"
and set the option "Obtain the IP address automatically (DHCP)", according
to your network specifications.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.

If you need information please write me again.