Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Connection cost question

Connection cost question

Martin²

Ross:
>I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

Zyxel 2602HWL router has two VoIP ports and pass trough to PSTN line by
dialling a prefix No. e.g. 9.
Regards,
Martin

hairydog@despammed.com

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:53:47 +0000, Ross Beer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
>well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make calls
>over the PSTN network.

Well, IME, that's not a great help. The only two times my broadband
has been down for more than a few minutes it has been because the
underlying phone line failed.

I was able to use a neighbour's WiFi connection to reconnect the VOIP
lines in the meantime.

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:53:47 +0000, Ross Beer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
> > well, so if your broadband were to go down you could
> > still make calls over the PSTN network.

> Well, IME, that's not a great help. The only two times my
> broadband has been down for more than a few minutes it
> has been because the underlying phone line failed.
>
> I was able to use a neighbour's WiFi connection to
> reconnect the VOIP lines in the meantime.

Not always the case, my ADSL (Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve or whatever it's
called this week) failed for almost 24 hours a few weeks ago. The phone
line was still ok.

First time it's failed for more than a few minutes in over 5 years so I
shouldn't really complain.

Ivor

Herman

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eLfeh.13617$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Ross Beer wrote:
>
>> When you say dual-line do you mean you would like a voip line and pstn
>> line?

> Yes, something I'd have thought would be very easy and in-expensive to
> produce as it could be powered from the pstn line voltage then have a
> manual line switching for outgoing calls (to be routed over VOIP ATA
> whatever) while allowing calls on either inbound line to be picked up from
> a common source.
>

>> If so there is one phone see:
>> http://www.voicehost.co.uk/Store/Sto...jsp?category=1

> Not really what I'm after.
>

>> The C460 IP & PSTN, DECT phone. So you can plug in the standard telephone
>> line and connect it to your router for VoIP calls.

> I was thinking more along the lines of DECTsys 2200
> but without the requirement for interline operation'
>

>> I haven't see a line combiner on the market, someone else may know of
>> one?

> I've seen one e-bay but can't find it any more, problem was it auto
> switched to make outgoing calls on the line which was last active.
> Unfortunately that would mostly be the PSTN inbound line.
>
>> I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

> I have all the sip accounts functions and features etc etc on the Draytek
> 2910 which provides everything to just plug in a bog standard DECT phone.
>
> Which I have quite a few of.
> :¬)
>
> 2 seperate phones in the house would be as confusing as the 5 x remote
> controls we have.
> The one you want is always the one you can't find.

Only possible to do this using an ATA but this allows you to use your
current phone - cheapest offering with POTS override is something like a
Grandstream Handytone at around 40 squid. Not a very well designed bit of
kit but just about does the job. Alternatively, I can recommend Fritz!Box
products from somewhere like www.broadbandstuff.co.uk. Lot more user
friendly and gives you the ability to have up to 10 SIP accounts with
routing. Also handles caller ID OK which can be an issue.

There are others as well which I am sure other people in the group can
advise on - like the LinkSys SPA3102. Voicehost do this, but you will find
Broadbandstuff to be cheaper (sorry Ross!)