Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > What if you *have* to use Skype?

Reply
Thread Tools

What if you *have* to use Skype?

 
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
- and no-one I know uses anything else.
So there isn't much choice really.

Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
Or is there a better newsgroup?
If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:

What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
Netgear Wi-Fi?
VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
Nokia 770 or 870?
Or just sit in front of the computer?
--
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
In article <BdYGEtCdCqdFFwnl@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
>- and no-one I know uses anything else.
>So there isn't much choice really.


Of-course there is. You fall-back to good old PSTN, then if they aren't
near their home/work phone or mobile, or don't have a SkypeIn service,
then you can't call them. You won't get free calls, you'll have to
pay for them in some way, either with a fixed monthly charge with an
"unlimited" or capped calling plan (eg. X minutes included in the plan),
or per minute, depending on the company you are dealing with for your
PSTN calls. (eg. BT, or a mobile company)

At least with BT you get a reasonable guarantee of service - you get
zero with Skype.

Or you could re-educate them.

>Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?


I dunno. Skype is a voip, it's just not based on any published standards
so interoperability with standards based systems is hard, and and where
such bridges do exist they may well be proprietary and not free.

>Or is there a better newsgroup?
>If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>
>What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>Netgear Wi-Fi?
>VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>Nokia 770 or 870?
>Or just sit in front of the computer?


Who knows. The answer is probably "what you're most comfortable with".

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
www.simcard.me.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:BdYGEtCdCqdFFwnl@[127.0.0.1]...
>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it -
>and no-one I know uses anything else.
> So there isn't much choice really.
>
> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
> Or is there a better newsgroup?
> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>
> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
> Netgear Wi-Fi?
> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
> Nokia 770 or 870?
> Or just sit in front of the computer?
> --
> Chris




Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone on sale on amazon uk

--



www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim
Cards &
EPIRB.
My help forum
www.experimentalist.co.uk/forum/index.php


 
Reply With Quote
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
Chris wrote:

> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
> Or is there a better newsgroup?


Skype is VoIP, this is a VoIP newsgroup. If anyone tells you otherwise, tell
them to **** off.

> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>
> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
> Netgear Wi-Fi?
> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
> Nokia 770 or 870?
> Or just sit in front of the computer?


That's a difficult question to answer, as it's really a matter of personal
preference. If you spend all your time on the PC, don't waste money on a
Skype handset. [I was amused to see in the Misco catalogue "FREE internet
phone calls!", next to a 138 Skype handset]. If you need to use Skype on
the go, buy a Skype handset. If you do a lot of stuff on the hoof, perhaps
a PDA would make more sense, as you can have Skype, SIP, email, instant
messaging clients et al in one device, for not a lot more than the cost of
a single-purpose Skype handset

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
17:34:07 up 16 days, 21:16, 2 users, load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.02
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
www.simcard.me.uk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>news:BdYGEtCdCqdFFwnl@[127.0.0.1]...
>>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it -
>>and no-one I know uses anything else.
>> So there isn't much choice really.
>> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>> Or is there a better newsgroup?
>> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>> Netgear Wi-Fi?
>> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>> Nokia 770 or 870?
>> Or just sit in front of the computer?


>Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone on sale on amazon uk


Thanks for your reply.
That looks good.
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11...t_skype_first/
A bit expensive compared with the VoSky.
And I don't mind leaving a computer on.
But - is it good?
Have you tried it?
--
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Chris wrote:
>
>> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>> Or is there a better newsgroup?

>
>Skype is VoIP, this is a VoIP newsgroup. If anyone tells you otherwise, tell
>them to **** off.
>
>> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>>
>> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>> Netgear Wi-Fi?
>> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>> Nokia 770 or 870?
>> Or just sit in front of the computer?

>
>That's a difficult question to answer, as it's really a matter of personal
>preference. If you spend all your time on the PC, don't waste money on a
>Skype handset. [I was amused to see in the Misco catalogue "FREE internet
>phone calls!", next to a 138 Skype handset]. If you need to use Skype on
>the go, buy a Skype handset. If you do a lot of stuff on the hoof, perhaps
>a PDA would make more sense, as you can have Skype, SIP, email, instant
>messaging clients et al in one device, for not a lot more than the cost of
>a single-purpose Skype handset


Thanks. I am always at home - not on the hoof at all.
But it's nice, when using my ordinary DECT phone, to be able to wander
round the house, make a cup of tea etc.
The Nokia 770 looks good because it would be an ebook reader as well.
Any thoughts on that?
And does it actually do Skype?

--
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
In article <el6883$nmb$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Who knows.


Hmmm ... I hoped to contact someone who *does* actually know!
<grin>
--
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
www.simcard.me.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:rfNk6wCDMwdFFwC+@[127.0.0.1]...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, www.simcard.me.uk
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>>news:BdYGEtCdCqdFFwnl@[127.0.0.1]...
>>>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses
>>>it -
>>>and no-one I know uses anything else.
>>> So there isn't much choice really.
>>> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>>> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>>> Or is there a better newsgroup?
>>> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>>> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>>> Netgear Wi-Fi?
>>> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>>> Nokia 770 or 870?
>>> Or just sit in front of the computer?

>
>>Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone on sale on amazon uk

>
> Thanks for your reply.
> That looks good.
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11...t_skype_first/
> A bit expensive compared with the VoSky.
> And I don't mind leaving a computer on.
> But - is it good?
> Have you tried it?
> --
> Chris



Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone i used a few times seams ok to me. I
only just got it as Christmas present for someone so not gave it full test
yet.



--



www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim
Cards &
EPIRB.
My help forum
www.experimentalist.co.uk/forum/index.php


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
In article <jvPmWgDIQwdFFwA5@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>The Nokia 770 looks good because it would be an ebook reader as well.
>Any thoughts on that?
>And does it actually do Skype?


I have a 770. There are a couple of closed SIP clients for it (Gtalk,
Gizmo) I don't think there is a Skype client for it - and not sure if
there will be either.

But I don't think I'd like to use it to talk into anyway - you can plug in
headphones, but not a microphone, so have to use the built-in one, then
you'll look as silly as someone using a blackberry

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-06-2006
In article <el73k2$s4d$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>In article <jvPmWgDIQwdFFwA5@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:


>>The Nokia 770 looks good because it would be an ebook reader as well.
>>Any thoughts on that?
>>And does it actually do Skype?


>I have a 770. There are a couple of closed SIP clients for it (Gtalk,
>Gizmo) I don't think there is a Skype client for it - and not sure if
>there will be either.
>But I don't think I'd like to use it to talk into anyway - you can plug in
>headphones, but not a microphone, so have to use the built-in one, then
>you'll look as silly as someone using a blackberry


No-one is going to see me - so that's not a problem!
I would have expected Skype to run on it - because it uses a Linux OS -
and I thought there was a Skype version for Linux?
Although it might be a bit of a pain if it's not packaged for that
particular distro.
I've just found all sorts of rumours about a successor to the 770, going
by the catchy name of 780, which gives me yet another reason to defer a
decision!
And I was very attracted to the 770.
Do you like yours?
--
Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RE;Kontki if you delete kontiki any program you loaded with it in it 'will not work I have tried it with three programs and none work anymore (if you se it just stop download) 1-Twitch Computer Support 5 04-23-2009 02:45 PM
Stupid question. Please, only stupid responders. If you're not sureif you're stupid, you probably aren't. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= Computer Support 6 07-18-2005 05:11 AM
ATTN Programmers: WE pay YOU $1.00 if you let us find you a job. f5 Dennis Perl 0 12-02-2003 11:07 AM
ATTN Programmers: WE pay YOU $1.00 if you let us find you a job. f5 Dennis Java 0 12-02-2003 11:07 AM
ATTN Programmers: WE pay YOU $1.00 if you let us find you a job. jdg Doris Cox Perl 0 12-02-2003 11:07 AM



Advertisments