Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > What if you *have* to use Skype?

What if you *have* to use Skype?

Brian A

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:51:09 +0000, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
>- and no-one I know uses anything else.
>So there isn't much choice really.

You are right that many people use Skype. I do chat to some people on
Skype, they like it and I am not out to change the world. I think that
it has its uses. However, it is just one form of telephonic
communication. The other simple choices are landline and SIP VOIP.
There are adapters that allow you to link to both landline and Skype
from the same handset. The adapter does have to be connected to a
computer that is switched on. It does mean though that you can use a
standard phone handset, even a cordless phone.
Quite separate from all that it is quite possible to use SIP voip for
you main usage as well as chat to some people on Skype using whatever
method you find best. Making use of both technologies is not mutually
exclusive.
I do think that Skype is not a technology to take seriously as a main
form of communication but it is OK in its place.

>Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>Or is there a better newsgroup?
>If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:

Of course. There isn't a Skype newsgroup and I don't think that there
will be one.

>What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>Netgear Wi-Fi?
>VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>Nokia 770 or 870?
>Or just sit in front of the computer?

I mentioned an alternative above but it really depends on what suits
you best. Skype really isn't worth spending a lot of money on - it is,
in my view, OK as a 'toy' to play around with but not as a mainstay
of communication.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Paul Cupis

Chris wrote:
> I would have expected Skype to run on it - because it uses a Linux OS -
> and I thought there was a Skype version for Linux?

There is a version of Skype for Linux, but onyl for i386 compatible
systems. The 770 runs a variant of Debian, with an ARM processor, so no
pre-packaged skype for it unless they decide to support ARM processors.

Brian

On 2006-12-06, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
> - and no-one I know uses anything else.
> So there isn't much choice really.

It sounds like you are simply after Skype-to-Skype calls between you and
your friends and calls to and from the PSTN are not a priority for you.

> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?

Of course it is. That is why it has voip added to the uk.telecom bit.

> Or is there a better newsgroup?

No.

> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>
> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
> Netgear Wi-Fi?

You'll want this if you don't have your computer on all the time. It's
about 30 GBP more than the DualPhone 3088. Add on the price of a
wireless router if you don't have one. Reportedly, the call quality is
good.

> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?

Can be had for less than 25 GBP. Plug in a cordless phone and you're all
set to wander round the house chatting. I've used something similar, the
TelBox, and that worked fine.

> Nokia 770 or 870?

The 770 does lots of things but Skype isn't one of them. The 870 doesn't
exist as a consumer product. If and when it does there still may not be
a port of Skype to run on it. Cross these two off your list.

> Or just sit in front of the computer?

The VoSky gives you mobility at a much lower cost than the Netgear
SPH101 but if tethering yourself to the computer is what you want you
can do better than microphone and headphones. Get along to Aldi. Buy the
Tevion Internet Phone they have on offer this week for 9.99 GBP. Open
the packet and dispose of the call voucher and disk. Have fun setting it
up after going to www.yealink.com.

Brian.

Geoff

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:51:09 +0000, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
>- and no-one I know uses anything else.
>So there isn't much choice really.
>
>Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?

Yes, ignore the techie nerds, they arent happy if they dont have
innumerable threads explaining how to get VOIP setup and are annoyed
that skype works so well

Geoff

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:06:43 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(Gordon Henderson) wrote:

>In article <BdYGEtCdCqdFFwnl@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
>>- and no-one I know uses anything else.
>>So there isn't much choice really.

>Of-course there is. You fall-back to good old PSTN, then if they aren't
>near their home/work phone or mobile, or don't have a SkypeIn service,
>then you can't call them. You won't get free calls, you'll have to
>pay for them in some way, either with a fixed monthly charge with an
>"unlimited" or capped calling plan (eg. X minutes included in the plan),
>or per minute, depending on the company you are dealing with for your
>PSTN calls. (eg. BT, or a mobile company)
>
>At least with BT you get a reasonable guarantee of service - you get
>zero with Skype.

Rubbish. I've never had any problems with Skype yet with three VOIP
systems I had problems

Geoff

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:50:59 +0000, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>www.simcard.me.uk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>"Chris" <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>>>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it -
>>>and no-one I know uses anything else.
>>> So there isn't much choice really.
>>> Having said that, I feel guilty about mentioning Skype in this newsgroup
>>> because it seems to be so despised. Is it OK to ask here?
>>> Or is there a better newsgroup?
>>> If it *is* acceptable to ask, then:
>>> What's the best way to use it in a home-based way?
>>> Netgear Wi-Fi?
>>> VoSky Internet Phone Wizard?
>>> Nokia 770 or 870?
>>> Or just sit in front of the computer?

>>Dualphone 3088 Cordless Skype Phone on sale on amazon uk

>Thanks for your reply.
>That looks good.
>http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/11...t_skype_first/
>A bit expensive compared with the VoSky.
>And I don't mind leaving a computer on.
>But - is it good?
>Have you tried it?

It is good. I use it every day to talk to friends and relative in the
US and new Zealand

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:06:43 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed)
>(Gordon Henderson) wrote:
>
>>In article <BdYGEtCdCqdFFwnl@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>>>I am thinking about using Skype - because almost everyone I know uses it
>>>- and no-one I know uses anything else.
>>>So there isn't much choice really.

>>Of-course there is. You fall-back to good old PSTN, then if they aren't
>>near their home/work phone or mobile, or don't have a SkypeIn service,
>>then you can't call them. You won't get free calls, you'll have to
>>pay for them in some way, either with a fixed monthly charge with an
>>"unlimited" or capped calling plan (eg. X minutes included in the plan),
>>or per minute, depending on the company you are dealing with for your
>>PSTN calls. (eg. BT, or a mobile company)
>>
>>At least with BT you get a reasonable guarantee of service - you get
>>zero with Skype.

>Rubbish. I've never had any problems with Skype yet with three VOIP
>systems I had problems

What's rubbish? I was talking about BT - you're talking about "VOIP". My
statement stands - with BT you can call someone with Skype you have
no-one to call when something goes wrong.

Gordon

Gordon Henderson

In article <3$BjyTFxoxdFFwTs@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>In article <el73k2$s4d$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon Henderson
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>In article <jvPmWgDIQwdFFwA5@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>>>The Nokia 770 looks good because it would be an ebook reader as well.
>>>Any thoughts on that?
>>>And does it actually do Skype?

>>I have a 770. There are a couple of closed SIP clients for it (Gtalk,
>>Gizmo) I don't think there is a Skype client for it - and not sure if
>>there will be either.
>>But I don't think I'd like to use it to talk into anyway - you can plug in
>>headphones, but not a microphone, so have to use the built-in one, then
>>you'll look as silly as someone using a blackberry

>No-one is going to see me - so that's not a problem!
>I would have expected Skype to run on it - because it uses a Linux OS -
>and I thought there was a Skype version for Linux?

I understand it's to do with the particular graphics widget toolset not
being ported to the platform more than anything else...

>Although it might be a bit of a pain if it's not packaged for that
>particular distro.
>I've just found all sorts of rumours about a successor to the 770, going
>by the catchy name of 780, which gives me yet another reason to defer a
>decision!
>And I was very attracted to the 770.
>Do you like yours?

Yes, but it has little practical use to me - I use it to find WiFi
hotspots as my Nokia 9500 sometimes is a bit flakey when using WiFi on
it. I got it on the promise of a VoIP client being avalable for it -
turns out they basically lied (unless there is a new "unlocked" client
I'm not aware of) and I don't have time to write an IAX based one myself
(although you can run Asterisk natively on it and use the on-board sound
hardware to place a call, but that seems overkill to me!)

It's a fun little toy and an excellent demonstration of technology,
but I find tapping on a virtual keyboard a PITA and being left-handed
I've never manged to get any sort of writing recognition working on it
(or anything else for that matter) and it's not really setup, button
position-wise for a left-hander anyway.

Gordon

Chris

In article <el8ovo$2uu$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I got it on the promise of a VoIP client being avalable for it - turns
>out they basically lied

Although it does say on the Nokia site that there is Gizmo and Google
installed or available for it. That wouldn't suit me for talking to
someone who uses Skype - but it might suit you?
--
Chris

Gordon Henderson

In article <ARdUJpAfq$dFFw3K@[127.0.0.1]>, Chris <nospam@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>In article <el8ovo$2uu$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon Henderson
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>I got it on the promise of a VoIP client being avalable for it - turns
>>out they basically lied

>Although it does say on the Nokia site that there is Gizmo and Google
>installed or available for it. That wouldn't suit me for talking to
>someone who uses Skype - but it might suit you?

I want it to connect directly to my own SIP servers which can peer with
many other SIP/IAX servers as well as let me connect to the PSTN, and
not be locked into their own systems. Maybe they now let you do that,
I haven't looked for a few months, but when I did look, you were tied into
their own little private system. Great if all your friends, customers
and enemies use Gizmo or gTalk, not so great otherwise. Why people are
so narrow minded is beyond me. (although it probably boils down to money!)

Not an issue now though as I bought an SIP based WiFi mobile recently. The
down-side of that is that without a web-browser you can't connect via
various web frontended systems (eg. BT openwallet, etc.)

Gordon