Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Aldi VoIP phone

Aldi VoIP phone

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Newsposter:
> On Dec 4, 2:04 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
> <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Thus spaketh Newsposter:

>>> I was thinking of buying it as a cheap VoIP phone to be used with
>>> Skype. I checked ALDI tariffs and they were not that cheap (e.g. USA
>>> 2p/min, I pay 1p/min with 1899 [+4p connection])Skype aren't any
>>> better, Skype are one of the dearer providers.

> What about Voipbuster and Voipcheap?. Are these any good?.
> Also, instead of using a head set, can I use this Aldi phone instead?.
>
> Thanks

They offer good rates, I use VoIPStunt, but also have a VoIPdiscount
account.

I use these via an ATA so no software or PC neeeded to make and receive
calls.

If the Aldi phone is the same as the Tesco one, then you can download
the drivers for it to work with VoIPBuster etc.

http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

Mobile Offers: www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/payg
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

James Ewen

"Newsposter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
Hi,

Aldi are selling a VoIP phone for 10 (with 5 credit). Has anyone
tried this?. If so, is it any good?.

Also, I presume this can be used with other VoIP services such as
Skype.

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...ctnl_4928.html

Thanks

------------

Be aware that before you can even use your phone, you'll need to top up your
account with a further 10. Thats 20 altogether, and thats BEFORE you know
if the handset or service is pants. I've just sent them a mail to ask
whether the 10 is refundable if you think the service/phone stinks. If
not, it's going back.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:48:22 GMT, "James Ewen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've just sent them a mail to ask
>whether the 10 is refundable if you think the service/phone stinks. If
>not, it's going back.

Well a friend took his back yesterday to ALDI because he could not get
it registered and after five calls to support and getting nowhere he
gave up and took it back. I know the service allows you to make 0800
calls but when I make one I here one long ring and the phone goes dead
it is fine on 01 and 02 numbers can you make 0800's James with yours.

James Ewen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:48:22 GMT, "James Ewen"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I've just sent them a mail to ask
>>whether the 10 is refundable if you think the service/phone stinks. If
>>not, it's going back.
>>

> Well a friend took his back yesterday to ALDI because he could not get
> it registered and after five calls to support and getting nowhere he
> gave up and took it back. I know the service allows you to make 0800
> calls but when I make one I here one long ring and the phone goes dead
> it is fine on 01 and 02 numbers can you make 0800's James with yours.

I bought it for a present, so I haven't even opened it. Think I'm just
going to take it back, not much use receiving a pressie and then finding
you've got to pay to use it. The handsets themselves are only a few quid on
ebay, then you can use X-Lite and pick a service provider (with better
rates).

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:22:56 GMT, "James Ewen"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:48:22 GMT, "James Ewen"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> I've just sent them a mail to ask
>>>whether the 10 is refundable if you think the service/phone stinks. If
>>>not, it's going back.
>>>

>> Well a friend took his back yesterday to ALDI because he could not get
>> it registered and after five calls to support and getting nowhere he
>> gave up and took it back. I know the service allows you to make 0800
>> calls but when I make one I here one long ring and the phone goes dead
>> it is fine on 01 and 02 numbers can you make 0800's James with yours.

>I bought it for a present, so I haven't even opened it. Think I'm just
>going to take it back, not much use receiving a pressie and then finding
>you've got to pay to use it.

Yes they do mislead with the .9.99 including a fiver calling credit
with no mention of having to stump up and extrta ten quid on top .

Newsposter

On Dec 5, 6:22 pm, "James Ewen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:6tbbn21na34ga8u2copvnrl0tp3metv660@4ax .com...
>
> > On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:48:22 GMT, "James Ewen"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I've just sent them a mail to ask
> >>whether the 10 is refundable if you think the service/phone stinks. If
> >>not, it's going back.

> > Well a friend took his back yesterday to ALDI because he could not get
> > it registered and after five calls to support and getting nowhere he
> > gave up and took it back. I know the service allows you to make 0800
> > calls but when I make one I here one long ring and the phone goes dead
> > it is fine on 01 and 02 numbers can you make 0800's James with yours.I bought it for a present, so I haven't even opened it. Think I'm just

> going to take it back, not much use receiving a pressie and then finding
> you've got to pay to use it. The handsets themselves are only a few quid on
> ebay, then you can use X-Lite and pick a service provider (with better
> rates).

I bought one as well and I think I'll return mine too. Sounds like not
worth the money and hassle.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On 6 Dec 2006 06:10:11 -0800, "Newsposter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Dec 5, 6:22 pm, "James Ewen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:6tbbn21na34ga8u2copvnrl0tp3metv660@4ax .com...

>> > Well a friend took his back yesterday to ALDI because he could not get
>> > it registered and after five calls to support and getting nowhere he
>> > gave up and took it back. I know the service allows you to make 0800
>> > calls but when I make one I here one long ring and the phone goes dead
>> > it is fine on 01 and 02 numbers can you make 0800's James with yours.I bought it for a present, so I haven't even opened it. Think I'm just

>> going to take it back, not much use receiving a pressie and then finding
>> you've got to pay to use it. The handsets themselves are only a few quid on
>> ebay, then you can use X-Lite and pick a service provider (with better
>> rates).

>I bought one as well and I think I'll return mine too. Sounds like not
>worth the money and hassle.

I have been trying to contact E Media direct on the 0800 number I have
for them all day and either it rings engaged or when it does answer
and you chose ANY of the available options you get a message saying
please leave your details.
Now you are not telling me that all departments of a company can be
that busy all day I now have it in mind to give ALDI a ring I have an
0800 number for them .