Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voip/skype

voip/skype

Paul Boland

I prefer voip to Skype, but some people I need to communicate with
regularly are already using Skype and won't change for just me!

I'd like to buy some equipment that'll let me receive Skype calls on a
normal phone, and if I'm not available forward the call out over my voip
provider.

Does such equipment exist?

And when using a normal phone with Skype, how does one dial numbers when
everything seems to be usernames/email addresses on there??

Brian A

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:11:54 +0000, Paul Boland <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I prefer voip to Skype, but some people I need to communicate with
>regularly are already using Skype and won't change for just me!
>
>I'd like to buy some equipment that'll let me receive Skype calls on a
>normal phone, and if I'm not available forward the call out over my voip
>provider.
>
>Does such equipment exist?
>
>And when using a normal phone with Skype, how does one dial numbers when
>everything seems to be usernames/email addresses on there??

There are phones which will operate without your computer being
switched on. However they are relatively expensive. There is at least
one adapter that allows you to combine your landline with Skype but
does require a connection to a computer that is switched on.
A description of the product can be found at:-
http://tinyurl.com/yjsa5p
It only works with Skype, it will not work with other soft phones.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.